Poll: Do you use the Firewire port on your MacBook? (NOT MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Phrasikleia, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Do you use the Firewire port on your Macbook? (Not MBP)

Poll closed Oct 17, 2008.
  1. Yes, regularly.

54 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. I have used it a few times.

14 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. I haven't yet, but I plan to use it someday.

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. No, I've never used it.

21 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

This is a question for people who own a MacBook (not a Pro model). Respond to this poll if you own a (consumer-level, plastic case) MacBook.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

oooooooooooooo… sorry mate :eek: i saw your post in the "Higher Quality MacBook Pro Case Photos" thread and already just made a poll.

3. deriko100 macrumors 6502

Dont own one i dont know why i just typed this.

4. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Oh well. We framed the poll a bit differently, so people can vote twice. :D

5. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

6. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Haha, I was about to create a poll like this myself.

Use FireWire regularly, but on my 12" PowerBook G4, cut down enough to be level with a MacBook in terms of features. (ie no expansion slots or FW 800)

7. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I'm in between a few times and regularly. It is actually quite useful.

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Where's the option for "I didn't even relize my macbook has a firewire port" :eek:

9. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

VERY regularly, for both Time Machine backups, and connecting my camera. Losing the Firewire port would be a fatal loss.

10. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I actually considered including an option for "I don't know what that is." Kind of like Palin on the Bush Doctrine. :D :p

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

when i had a macbook, yes all the time. even on my iMac its used all the time. FW 400 is great for external drives, USB 2.0 is just too slow imo.

12. Hissori macrumors member

I know that it exists, but I've never actually known what uses it or what its used for. Whats the difference between it and a usb? =\.

13. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i use it for my soundcard (which is use allllll the time)

14. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Oh, ouch! Well played, sir, well played! :eek:

15. priller macrumors regular

Never used it & don't expect to in the future, but I'd still want one in case I need it in the future.

16. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

I used it once though. I was left alone without any USB-iPhone cable and used the firewire to charge it.

17. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Basically it is faster providing a constant flow of data as opposted to bursts of data with USB. This makes it useful for video applications where you can't afford dropped frames when streaming video.

It can also be used to power external hard drives, whereas with USB you'd normally need a power adapter or two USB cables.

18. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

Losing FireWire would be a bad thing for me; FireWire Disk Mode is a godsend, and the relatively-little-used TCP-over-FireWire is incredibly fast and nice for big files transfers when you don't feel like rebooting the machine.

19. Hissori macrumors member

Oh haha thanks for the info. That makes sense for me since I'm just the average computer person. Thats surprising that the new macbook doesnt seem to have a firewire port. The common stereotype for mac is that macs are only good for media types of work, which is true. I don't see why apple would drop it. Maybe they have something better in store?

20. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I mean, we still aren't completely sure that they won't include some sort of FireWire.... Those could still be fake pictures lol.... Let Tuesday tell.

21. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I for sure use it all the time for my iTunes external HDD. I could use USB for this particular drive, but FW is much better.

If the leaks are true and the MB's don't have FW, I will not being getting the MB whenever I replace my current one (which won't be for like 3 years at least so whatever)
    Losing the FW port just to try to differentiate the model lines or something is terrible. Make the pro BETTER instead of making the MB worse.
    Oh well. Guess I'll be happy with what I have (imagine that :apple: fanboys :D)

22. Porco macrumors 68020

Porco

I use it all the time on my MacBook to varying degrees for target disk mode, external hard disks, and video camera use. In fact I use it and have used it all the time on all my macs, and several other people's(!). USB sucks so much by comparison it's painful.

I'm hoping that if firewire is dropped on any MacBooks it will only be for a new cheaper model, as an additional option for people who don't need (to pay for) it. Sadly Apple don't tend to offer that many choices, so I am not too optimistic.

Naturally people will say 'buy a MacBook Pro if you need FW', but one of the main reasons I bought the MacBook over the Pro was that I didn't want a portable that was as un-portable as even the 15 inch MBP is by comparison. So if they offered a 13.3 inch or smaller pro machine with firewire, then great. If not, then I think they are making a bad decision.

23. ksabek macrumors member

ya i use it everyday when I use my external HD for time machine, better to use firewire so I still could have 2 empty USB ports!

24. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I've only used it once for connecting my video camera to my MacBook.

25. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I wish I could use it. I just don't have any firewire devices. I think that's the pint in Universal Serial Bus. I use USB more often, but run out of ports, so I might look into firewire...