Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
aw crap :( I hadn't noticed any problem with my iMac i7 at all, and was happy it was problem-free. Then I saw the note about yellow screens, and looked closer - sure enough, there is a clearly visible difference at the top and bottom of the screens. The bottom part is visibly tinted.

How did you guys handle this? Has anyone spoken to Apple about it? Is it a known problem, ie will they fix it on warranty or replace your iMac? Anyways, I don't do graphical design or similar so I can live with it, it's a lot of work sending it back and waiting for a replacement too.

Damn you, I was happy with my problem-free iMac until I saw this thread :p

solman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Well better to act now and get it replaced rather than suffering with it for years to come.

Stingray454

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
Yeah, I know I can make my own choices ;). I just got my mac 3 days ago, so I got some time to make up my mind. To pack it, return it and wait for a new is not something I'd be happy about. I honestly hadn't noticed the tint until you guys mentionen it, so it's not a huge problem. With background images, open windows etc the problem is hard to see. Is it worth all that trouble to fix a very minor issue? I'm not sure yet.

Maybe it's possible to take it to the local apple store where they can fix it, depending on what the problem turns out to be. I'll talk to apple tomorrow to see what they recommend.

solman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
Stingray, don't be bullied by solman. His agenda is that he wants to buy a refurb, so he is encouraging as many people to complain as possible. While he can do what he likes, so can you.

As for your pathetic accusation, I have absolutely no interest in buying a Re-furb. In fact, "if" you were astute enough, you would see from my post history that several years ago I bought a G5 24 inch refurb which had Coffee splashes and scratches on the LCD screen and I promptly returned it; never to buy another again.

It is my hope that after all these defective screens were sold by Apple that there "can" be some positive result from it. That all these defective returns will end up discounted in the Refurb Store.

FYI I recently ordered an i5.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
It is my hope that after all these defective screens were sold by Apple that there "can" be some positive result from it. That all these defective returns will end up discounted in the Refurb Store.

What the hell are you talking about? Why are you so worried about "positive results" from a few defective screens? Are you a finance officer for Apple?

Bryan

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I don't have the flickering. I do have the color temperature variation.

Damnit.

Anyway, I spoke to the apple tech on the phone, and I am to ship them my current machine, and they will ship me a replacement. The tech indicated that he was familiar with the color temp variation issue.

But my screen is noticeably warmer/yellower at the bottom than at the top. Not good when one is a graphic designer.

ugokutana

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
"Ok guys.

I attached an image of my screen with slightly (just slightly!) increased saturation to better show the variations in color.

This is from photoshop and the color of the background should be solid grey.

I can also add that I have a latest spec Macbook Pro 15" at work and when I open the grey line test image (attached in post #13) it looks brilliant. Both grey bars look exactly the same..."

my i7's screen looks similar to yours. very BAD uniformity.

JohnKorn

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2009
I have a driver issue for windows
only reason i use windows is for bluray crap as apple don't support blu-ray play back

i get purple blocks and line ect and then video card errors

mac is fine which makes me think its a driver!

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The POLL has a very specific title "Does Your 27 inch Imac have "a" screen problem. So, if yours has b,c,d,e,f, all of which are commonly documented so far, then indeed they qualify as an answer to the POLL question. In reality, anything which is not to the satisfaction of an good paying Apple Customer is fair game for requesting action from Apple.

As for the argument, that the POLL is "meaningless" for reasons of "bias" etc etc., it's a rather mute point. Yes we won't have an accuracy like Gallup, but for heavens sakes, we will get a pretty good idea of:

1. That there is a problem

2. What the likelihood of a new purchaser getting a machine with "a" screen problem could be.

Hardly meaningless.

Now, think rationally for a sec, you are only getting responses from people who are on macrumors, have bought a 27" and actually got into this forum (imac). Of the users in this forum, the ones most likely to take your poll are the ones with screen defects as they are disappointed. It is users with issues that are most likely to me hanging around these forums looking for help/advice. The ones with perfectly working 27 iMacs are the least likely to me going through these forums, they are happy enjoying thier new machines.

So if you are trying to tell new potential buyers that 40% of 27" Macs have screen defects, that is an epic fail.

You target poll audience is very biased.

Yes the new 27 imacs do have issues, but like all products that are sold around the world you will always get defects, not 40%!. if you follow your logic and combine HD noise issues with Screen issues we are suddenly looking at 90% of all imacs are faulty.

solman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
This thread is for screen problems but those with DOA's, now with 3 new threads i7's, should also vote.

What I can't understand is how all these machines were released by Apple without QC checks.

DOA means that the machine was never actually powered up and diagnosed before packing.

Who knows, maybe computers aren't actually tested, just assembled and shipped.

musukosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Puyallup, WA
DOA means that the machine was never actually powered up and diagnosed before packing.

I don't think that at all. DOA could mean the product worked before it was shipping and something happened during shipping. It could mean that there was a manufacturing defect of some component during a certain period of time and x number of models were effected, but after 7-14 days of being bounced around in trucks and airplanes, something broke. It could mean tiny elves plotted against apple fans and placed time "bombs" inside the computer that only affected them once the end user went to power it on... the point is when you assume you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me' and you should probably stop while you're behind. I may sound harsh but your banter gets read by some people who just don't know better and will assume just like you that DOA means Apple didn't test the product before it shipped. And maybe you are right, but please don't state it as fact. Because really, you just don't know what happened.

Anijake

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Well I have a week old i5 and just started having this problem:

_MG_0295.JPG

Going to the store tonight for a replacement. I originally voted no in the poll.

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
OK I did say I wasn't going to post in this thread again, but OMG look at the results. Right now, the number of people with screen problems stands at 61!!!!

Given that there are numerous trolls and other ne'erdowells around, and assuming than no-one who genuinely has a problem would vote 'no' (Anijake notwithstanding), that means that after all the hysteria and breathless "waiting until xxxx" posts, less than 61 people actually reported a problem with their iMacs.

So that's 61 out of ???. Of course we don't know, but I cite the following evidence that suggests that number is huge.
a) the number of posts in the "waiting to SHIP" thread is 4202 - and that's just the quad cores.
b) wait is still 5-7 business days on the Apple store
c) first ever consumer quad core Macs from Apple
d) Dual core 27" have been shipping for over a month and are in stores everywhere

I suggest the number is well in the thousands.

So this poll has somewhat backfired yes? It (not impartially) set out to prove that there is a serious QC/design problem with 27" iMacs, and in the end, only 61 people, which includes trolls, gloaters and random people off the street, actually report a problem. Combine all of this with the thought that most of the people with no problem won't be found hammering away on these threads, and you come up with a tiny percentage indeed.

So I declare this poll successful in strongly suggesting there are no serious issues with 27" iMacs. It is safe to buy. Thanks solman!

solman

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2006
So this poll has somewhat backfired yes? It (not impartially) set out to prove that there is a serious QC/design problem with 27" iMacs, and in the end, only 61 people, which includes trolls, gloaters and random people off the street, actually report a problem. Combine all of this with the thought that most of the people with no problem won't be found hammering away on these threads, and you come up with a tiny percentage indeed.

So I declare this poll successful in strongly suggesting there are no serious issues with 27" iMacs. It is safe to buy. Thanks solman!

Funny that in addition to this threads display problem POLL, there are quite a few people (unfortunate people) with DOA's, HDD noises etc, so maybe just maybe threads are successful in sending the message Buyer Beware.

And based on the results of our POLL, looks like all the unfortunate people are not just "random freaks, anomalies, exceptions etc." as you imply. And so I agree the poll was successful in recognizing that there really is a screen problem in the 27 inch iMacs.

Well I have a week old i5 and just started having this problem:

Going to the store tonight for a replacement. I originally voted no in the poll.

Anijake I feel for you man. Sorry to hear that. Hope you get a so called "good one".

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
Funny that in addition to this threads display problem POLL, there are quite a few people (unfortunate people) with DOA's, HDD noises etc, so maybe just maybe threads are successful in sending the message Buyer Beware.

Dude, Caveat emptor applies to all purposes of any product. All this "proves" is that Apple is a company like any other. I guess if you previously thought Apple was some kind of mystical god-like entity, then yeah I suppose you might learn something from this.

Anijake

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Just got back from the Cube, they have a few of this problem come in and they handled it without any problem. Was in a out with a new unit in 20 minutes.

jvalente

macrumors member
May 22, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I don't think that at all. DOA could mean the product worked before it was shipping and something happened during shipping. It could mean that there was a manufacturing defect of some component during a certain period of time and x number of models were effected, but after 7-14 days of being bounced around in trucks and airplanes, something broke. It could mean tiny elves plotted against apple fans and placed time "bombs" inside the computer that only affected them once the end user went to power it on... the point is when you assume you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me' and you should probably stop while you're behind. I may sound harsh but your banter gets read by some people who just don't know better and will assume just like you that DOA means Apple didn't test the product before it shipped. And maybe you are right, but please don't state it as fact. Because really, you just don't know what happened.

i lol'd.

that blue corner thing is crazy, they should give you at least 9,000 new iMacs

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I'm not buying the results of that poll. There's no way almost HALF the new iMacs have screen issues. LOL Come on.

neonkru

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2009
i don't want you to think im assuming that there is an universal problem really, but 4 out of 5 people in my college had screen problems with 27 imacs. 2 of them with i5 other 2 was the base model. i will be getting the base c2d model this week so we'll see if i get unlucky, errr i would rather say, lucky to have one of the rare machines without a single issue

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
i don't want you to think im assuming that there is an universal problem really, but 4 out of 5 people in my college had screen problems with 27 imacs. 2 of them with i5 other 2 was the base model. i will be getting the base c2d model this week so we'll see if i get unlucky, errr i would rather say, lucky to have one of the rare machines without a single issue

Maybe you should get an i7....

neonkru

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2009
Maybe you should get an i7....

i don't need one or either better graphics. i only use the computer for internet, watching movies and playing magic the gathering online. no intensive work like movie editing or photoshoping :)

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
just got and unpacked mine. Inspected for dust/broke pixels, found none. Used back up from old macbook and all went well, start up time around 15 or 20 secs. This monster came to me all the way in japan perfectly.

i7

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
i don't need one or either better graphics. i only use the computer for internet, watching movies and playing magic the gathering online. no intensive work like movie editing or photoshoping :)

Those base models are fantastic value for such a good screen.

just got and unpacked mine. Inspected for dust/broke pixels, found none. Used back up from old macbook and all went well, start up time around 15 or 20 secs. This monster came to me all the way in japan perfectly.

i7

Don't forget to check for yellow tinge. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.