[Poll] Does Your iPhone 4 Have Yellow Tint?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flipster, Jun 27, 2011.

?

Does Your iPhone 4 Have a Yellow Display?

1. Yes, it's yellow and I dislike it

28 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No, it's perfect

83 vote(s)
    65.9%
  3. Yes, but I prefer the yellow display

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  4. Other (please state)

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. flipster, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

flipster macrumors 6502a

It's not much of a big deal to me, well it kind of is, but there's really nothing you can do about it apparently. My first iPhone had a broken home button out of the box, the second one had a major yellow display. The third one that I just got yesterday has a yellow tinge, but it's not as bad as before. Everyone I know has the infamous super, bright blue, clear display that I desperately want, but know that I probably can't have.

This is definitely a widespread problem, just want to see the results.

I wanted to do a poll, please vote, and state your opinions below :)!

COMPARISON SHOTS Just compared it to my friend's AT&T iPhone. I noticed his screen seemed so much clearer. Amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Don't know, don't care. It looks just peachy keen to me.

3. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Yes, my white iPhone 4 definitely has a yellow tint as opposed to the black one I had before. I like the warmer tone so it doesn't really bother me.

4. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

5. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I got the super bright blue and didn't realize it until I compared it with my friend's white iPhone 4, who has the yellow tint.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Nope, AFAIK, I have no yellow tint. Is this really an issue for the iPhone 4?

7. EddyP macrumors 6502

I still find it funny that people think the yellow is a defect with phones. In the home theatre world the warmer yellow is frequently preferred over the overly bright blue.

To each their own.

8. EvoNiner1986 macrumors regular

I never noticed mine had a yellow tint to it until I compared it side by side with my wife's iPhone 4. I like hers better but unless you're comparing them then you don't really notice it.

9. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Mine definitely has a warm tint to it, but it's preferable after looking at so many blue (not tinted, they just look blue) AMOLED displays.

10. tahoeroscoe macrumors regular

tahoeroscoe

after hearing of the yellow displays i stopped in the apple store to check out the ip4's a few days ago and by contrast my display was much brighter and bluer and the display units definitely were less crisp and a bit yellowish. So i am convinced that there are absolutely different hues among ip4 screens

11. helloimD4NNY macrumors regular

None of my friends nor do I have a yellow tint. So to me it's pretty rare.

12. barkingDog macrumors regular

barkingDog

Comparing a replacement iPhone (received a few weeks back) with a brand new "out of the box" VZW iPhone (bought within the last 2 weeks), we find the screens identical.

I don't know why, but an iPod Touch 4th Gen we have has a damn blue (very cool colored) screen in comparison! (ala some of those obnoxiously DIY pointed HID installs on automobiles -- not the factory installs -- that blue! Some of those are, what, like 8000K?)

If given the choice, I'd go for a slightly bluer (cooler) screen over the warmer hue -- as that's how I calibrate my LCD computer monitors.

But since I'm an iPhone only guy, and that's all I see daily, we're good here.

Relevant thread. Thanks...

13. themadrussian macrumors regular

My unlocked iPhone (MC605LL) had a yellow tint when I got it. It has since gone away and is now very blue. I do have some slightly noticeable scan lines - I'll probably have the phone replaced at some point in the next few months.

I think that in my case the yellow tint was due to the phone's recent production (the production week was the same week in which I purchased it - quick delivery!).

14. flipster thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's strange. It must be yellow because of different screen suppliers or Apple using crappy quality screens. The pictures above clearly prove that.

Walk into an Apple store, and you'll notice that EVERY display model out there has that perfect, non yellow screen. Don't tell me that it's suppose to be like that. It looks like crap.

15. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Bummer. Even more of a bummer that you will NOT find a screen like those of the Apple store display models.

Ive had 3 brand new ones since May from advanced replacement and none are blue tinted like the displays.

Even the brand new ones have some degree of a yellow tint.

16. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

In your screen shots, both of those look perfectly fine.

17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Does it really matter?! Are you doing colour-critical work on your phone?

18. MacRuler macrumors 6502

we are paying 700 plus for these phones. YES IT DOES MATTER!

19. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Relax.

20. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Yes it does matter.

21. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

Yes! Everyone in these threads should relax...some of us more so then others.

22. JetBlack7 macrumors 68020

JetBlack7

23. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

The Verizon iPhone 4 has a "warmer" looking temperature to the LCD - but it doesn't bother me.

24. jellybean macrumors regular

My white iPhone 4 has the warmer tinted display, which is v noticeable when compared directly with my iPad, which has the cooler blue tint. But when comparing the two, rather than making the iPhone's display appear to be on the yellow side, it actually makes the iPad's display look a bit TOO cool/blue. I think the yellow tinted displays actually look a lot more natural.

Either way, it's sure as hell not a defect, it's just the way it is. Like when you buy two tins of the same colour paint from a hardware store; if they're not from the same batch number they're going to look a little different when put side by side. They're still essentially the same, just a little different because they're from different production lines. A natural consequence of the manufacturing process. That's just the way I see it.

25. DanteMann macrumors 6502

I think most people won't even notice without having something to compare it to. Or without someone pointing it out to them. I have blue tint on mine and I'm perfectly fine with it. That being said, if I had the yellow tint, I'd see if I could return it. I like cooler colors, and it's not so obvious on whites. The yellow on white screens looks like there's a problem. It's all preference. Keep in mind, no screen is perfect.