Poll: Favorite OS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ComicStix, Aug 31, 2009.

?

All- Time Favorite Macintosh OS?

Poll closed Sep 20, 2009.
  1. 1.0 Hera

3.4%
  2. 10.0 Cheetah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 10.1 Puma

1.7%
  4. 10.2 Jaguar

3.4%
  5. 10.3 Panther

3.4%
  6. 10.4 Tiger

13.8%
  7. 10.5 Leopard

13.8%
  8. 10.6 Snow Leopard

60.3%
  1. ComicStix macrumors member

With the new Snow Leopard OS I am asking you all what was your favorite OS?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I think Tiger was the best, because it was so smooth and clean. Loved the dock, never had a crash and everything was lightning fast. 10.5.8 comes close after. Not early Leopard builds...they were pretty flimsy. I can see SL going the same way; bad start, maturing into a very fine OS.

3. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Tiger for me

Its was the first version of OS X that I used and thought it was great.

There have been some great improvements since, but the way Apple totally change some things with each release make it very frustrating

4. crobbins macrumors 6502

Like the above poster, Tiger was on the first Mac I bought. I feel like it was a pretty rock solid OS.

5. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Tiger for me also, loved everything about it, Leopard would've been better if it wasn't for Apple whoring coverflow into almost every program imaginable

6. nando2323 macrumors 6502a

Little too early to say but SL has been very nice so far. Nice and fast and stable.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I voted for Snow Leopard because it would be so hard to go back to any previous OS. Snow Leopard is the least buggy OS I've ever seen from Apple.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm going to say probably Leopard, though I almost voted for Tiger.

All in all, I preferred Tiger but the tie breaker is going to be Time Machine. The ability to automatically back stuff up has definitely saved my bacon on numerous occasions.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I switch with Panther and that was solid, Tiger came along as we very good. I then moved to the Intel side of the transition and Tiger went downhill and Leopard did improve things but was still dodgy for quite a while. Leopard matured and then Snow Leopard has come along. For me Snow Leopard feels like the first OS release that makes me feel the transition is complete.

My order of preference with least favourite first:

Tiger (Intel - Early)
    Panther
    Leopard (Intel - Early)
    Tiger (PPC) - Tiger (Intel - Very late)
    Leopard (Intel - Late)
    Snow Leopard

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think I feel the exact same way because I converted with a 15" PowerBook with Panther installed. I do think that Snow Leopard is my favorite version of OS X so far.

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

10.2 will always be my favorite OS. I wouldn't want to use it now, but at the time it was great, really showed the promise of OS X more than 10.0 and 10.1.

12. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yeah... 10.2 was a GIANT update. I remember how excited I was seeing all the leaked screenshots on ThinkSecret.com.... ahh... those were the days.

13. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

DOS 3.3 was pretty stable, although I loved the menu shell they implemented in DOS 5.

14. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I definitely think Snow Leopard is my favorite due to all the features/speed.

My Top three favs are: 1. Snow Leopard 2. Tiger 3. Leopard

I converted with using Tiger (which I think was revolutionary) but when Leopard was introduced, it was buggy/slow. Snow Leopard is the best of both worlds (fast as Tiger but with most features).

But I still am nostalgic whenever I see Tiger (the Aqua wallpaper, classic 2-D dock, faint pinstripes)!

15. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I think 10.2 was the most significant OS, before that OS X hadn't quite found its feet IMO.

I have only had Leopard and Snow Leopard, but Leopard was terrible for me when it first came out and Snow Leopard is pretty much what Leopard should have been IMO.

16. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Slackware 1.0

It came on 20-odd diskettes, that we downloaded over night over the (shared) 64kbit/s University network downlink from some FTP-mirror.

Aah, those where the days...

17. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Running Tiger on my Mac Pro was slow... then upgrading to 10.5 Leopard, it got faster...

I don't get where you're saying Leopard was slow and Tiger was fast... hmm.

The biggest gripe of mine was how they completely crippled Spotlight in Leopard... Tiger's Spotlight was much better. It is now fixed in Snow Leopard! Horray Apple!

18. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

I've only been here since 10.3, but my favourite Mac OS X is already 10.6. I'm sure the relevant debates will rage forever and I don't want to rake them over, but I've almost no use for and absolutely no interest in most of the headline features since 10.3.

To my mind, it's only in 10.6 that Spotlight actually becomes slightly helpful (thanks to being able to set the Finder to search the current folder only by default) and I've no interest in the Dashboard whatsoever, so 10.4 wasn't that helpful for me. 10.5's Quick Look and Time Machine are really great features that I'm a big fan of, but I'm with the "translucent menubar is a capricious menace" group, and the 3d dock is another thing that reeks of change for the sake of it. Though it doesn't actually bother me.

10.6 finally makes window minimisation work the way it should, with minimised windows showing up in Exposé and not slowly cramping your entire dock if you wish them not to. It'd still be nice to be able to specify that utility windows should appear in Exposé rather than vanishing into nothing, especially when some idiotic software presents a modal yes/no prompt that then vanishes every time I try to reveal all windows.

I'm not sure about the new Exposé layout yet though. I understand the design principle: giving windows a more uniform amount of display real estate in Exposé mode is smart because smaller windows tend to have important details that are smaller. It does feel like a lot of wasted screen space though, especially when two, tall windows are placed top and bottom rather than left and right.

Oh, and the best bonus: Cheetah 3d renders take about 25% less time in Snow Leopard than in Leopard. I'm assuming some smarter stuff has gone into multicore task scheduling while they were down there working in Grand Central and OpenCL.

I've also no idea when they introduced it, but I definitely wouldn't go back to a time when I had to pay just for QuickTime to be willing to go fullscreen. I wouldn't mind trimming a bunch of the useless bits from iTunes, though. I'm still having to drop to the console to remove the 'genres' column (really, does anybody actually want that? If you like multiple genres you probably don't like pigeonholing, if you like just one then why waste the space?) and iTunes store links.

Xcode keeps getting better too. And updates to that tend to be OS tied.

EDIT: non-Mac, I vote RISC OS.