POLL for old vs. new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andiwm2003, Oct 23, 2008.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

I made a more detailed poll for the everlasting question MBP old vs. MBP new.

i personally like the new ones for the most part and bought the old one mainly for the lower price. and i would like to get a better feel WHY people dislike or prefer the new MBP.

in this linked poll you answer 5 questions and we might find out why some people like one or the other. a lot more informative than the simple polls before.

http://wepollyou.com/poll/show/7

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

The one reason I like the old MBP versus the new MBP wasn't in the poll - the keyboard. I have the wireless chiclet keyboard for my iMac at work, and I like it, but in my opinion the keyboard on my MBP is easier to use and nicer looking.

3. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

personally, i like to read polls rather than take part in them. i am not sure what to say about the old keyboard: it is not as stable as it could be and the new one being a solid frame under the keyboard must add strength. however, the old one certainly has a touch of class that few notebooks have. since the time of the powerbook i have been amazed.

the removal of ports and downsizing to dp has been hard for me to stomach on a pro machine, very hard. the screen is also something i hope can be again bto: matte. however, dual gpu, the solid body, magnetic latching etc: this macbook has been very well designed if not simplified way too much.

i am hate and love at the same time. the old version too is a favourite of mine to love and to hate at the same time.

4. FetalSage macrumors regular

For me, the last question was hard to answer. My decision to upgrade included many of the factors mentioned, as well as a need to move away from the MacBook (black, latest of the last generation.)

5. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

that's why i like this kind of poll a lot more. you can play with the data a bit. for example filter to see what pros think as opposed to consumers or gamers (i don't game so if gamers dislike a notebook it usually is for reasons that are not important to me.).

it would be better if one could give multiole answers to some of the questions though.

if someone has extra time he could set up a poll for MacBooks. i'm too lazy.

6. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, that result surprises me a bit. the pros prefer the new MBP. but only by a slight margin. we need probably a lot more votes to make this significant.....

Attached Files:

7. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I couldn't see the graphs you have, so let me ask this: Why do the pros prefer it? The better specs, or the new style? I personally hate the black border and glossy screen. Gimme my matte screen, full size DVI (display port, whatever, but make it full size!) and big giant black border!

The while iBook has been around since forever. Maybe Apple should rebrand the macbook white as the iBook, and let the black glossy screen'd macbook/pro's become macbooks, and bring back the macbook pro's of old.

8. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I think you should have included the same type of photo for each machine. Either both of them being real-world shots or both being glamorous, official Apple advertising images. It's not a fair poll otherwise.

[Edit: Here is a comparable photo of the older one. Or maybe this one.]

9. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, if you check the main use you see that a lot of the pro users are actually in engineering. i hadn't expected that. maybe that is the reason they go for the glossy screen because the color profile isn't an issue there.

Attached Files:

10. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, i didn't think people vote on the pics alone. i thought they know the notebooks anyway. i can't change the pics anymore though.

next time i set up a poll i try to get equally good or bad pics.:eek:

11. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

I think your poll is a good idea but I also think you should have included the same type of photo for each machine and your going to need to get alot more votes to get anything meaningful from the data. Maybe everyone here who gets involved in a old vs new thread should add this poll link to their responses and maybe you can get some further votes. Since those types of threads generally have people representing both sides of the view, it should be a good turnout.

12. MrJingles macrumors member

That is my conclusion as well. The build and hardware are top of the line, I could get by with a single FW port and a couple of usb but (and seriously I'm not posting to complain anymore) but I tried to love glossy but not for me. I may cave and get one but I'm going to hold onto fools hope a secret 17in matte revision is in the works.

13. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Never underestimate the power of images; they can be very persuasive! Too bad you can't edit the photo part. Oh well.

14. Atomic Ed macrumors regular

Thats so true, remember the old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words"

15. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, then i put next time a pic in where pamela anderson is holding a MBP. "a picture is worth a thousand votes";)

anyway, there is still some interesting info in the poll: seems price is not a mayor factor. i had expected that many people choose the old MBP because it's right now very cheap as a refurb.

it also seems that both in photography and design/graphics/arts a number of people prefer the new MBP. so the screen seems not to be as bad as many posts here make it look like.