Poll for people looking to buy a MBP in the near future...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BurtonCCC, Apr 30, 2006.


How long are you going to wait for a Merom-based MBP before buying the current model?

Poll closed May 7, 2006.
  1. I'll wait until August.

    8 vote(s)
  2. I'll wait the end of the year.

    2 vote(s)
  3. I'm a trooper. I'll wait until it comes out.

    10 vote(s)
  4. Screw that. I want my MBP now!

    14 vote(s)
  1. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816


    May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
  2. regre7 macrumors 6502

    Apr 18, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I voted for wait until August.

    I'd kick myself if I bought one before WWDC and Jobs announced something crazy (like umm... an Intel transition). If he says another year or something on Merom, I'll take the Core Duo.
  3. miniConvert macrumors 68040


    Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    If the Yonah chips were rubbish then I'd understand people wanting to wait 4-5 months for their Merom MBP... but the Yonah chips are great! All I'm waiting on is the form factor...
  4. assscat macrumors regular

    Jul 29, 2005
    Are the Core Duos not fast enough for you people? What do you seriously hope to accomplish in a few months' time with the new chips that you would find so difficult with the current processors?

    And what happens when the new chips are put into the Macs? By then Intel will have released info about the next generation of new processors, which are sure to "kick Merom's ass". Will you people hold off again? At what point do you say enough!

    Do you not think you're being caught up in the marketing machine? That this culture of consumerism is becoming so powerful and influential that you're never going to be satisfied with a purchase b/c there will always be something newer and shinier on the horizon…?
  5. sjl macrumors 6502


    Sep 15, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    In the short term, absolutely nothing. The point behind waiting, at least for me, though, is that Merom is (or will be) a 64 bit processor, whilst Yonah (the current Core Duo and Core Solo) is a 32 bit processor.

    In the context of PPC, Sparc, and most other 64 bit platforms, the difference is not an issue for most people, unless they need a massive amount of RAM. In the context of x86, though, the move to 64 bit introduces a number of additional general purpose registers, over and above that available in 32 bit mode, which means that 64 bit software is liable to be noticeably faster than the 32 bit equivalent, even if the other reasons for 64 bit-ness (most noticeably memory space) aren't of concern.

    Granted, OS X won't be available straight away with 64 bit support on x86. But when it is, it'll be that little bit faster than on an equivalent 32 bit platform. I think that that difference is worth a bit of extra time now.

    Plus I can't really afford a new laptop right now anyway. :D Anybody want to buy my 1.25 GHz 15" PowerBook for $AU4,000? :p

Share This Page