POLL: Future of the iTunes Store

Will Apple kill off the iTunes Store?

  • Yes, this year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, in the next 2 years

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Yes, in the next 5 years

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Never

    Votes: 15 65.2%

  • Total voters
    23

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
525
1,065
Apple has been pushing more and more the Apple Music platform and clearly trying to steer users away from using the iTunes Store. What is the future you see for the iTunes Store? Are the days of buying digital music over with the rise of streaming?
 

kiranmk2

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
878
377
It will definitely go once music sales drop below a certain percentage of Apple Music subs. If 95% of your music revenue comes from streaming, why have an infrastructure to support the other 5%? Personally, I still like buying music, but I can see the writing on the wall for the current system. Perhaps if Apple started selling ALAC/24-bit music it could grab the share of the market where people want quality over convenience. Bands like Muse and Radiohead have released their last few albums in higher quality, so there must be a market for it.
 

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
5,137
4,665
Denmark
It will definitely go once music sales drop below a certain percentage of Apple Music subs. If 95% of your music revenue comes from streaming, why have an infrastructure to support the other 5%? Personally, I still like buying music, but I can see the writing on the wall for the current system. Perhaps if Apple started selling ALAC/24-bit music it could grab the share of the market where people want quality over convenience. Bands like Muse and Radiohead have released their last few albums in higher quality, so there must be a market for it.
5% of 100 billion is still quite nice though.
 

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
14,649
1,842
Australia, Perth
Neat... a poll.... :)

+1 for Never kill of the iTunes Store,, Everything there is the hub to everything else u use, manage watch, and sync to other Apple devices.

Apple may do own apps, but I can't see this changing..... ever.... not that they won't, but if they knew iTunes was just a garbage ball, wouldn't they have separated some stuff by now? e.g When they bought out Apple Music, they integrated it directly to iTunes without any thoughts.
 

peterpayne

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2017
83
70
I don't see them killing it in the near future... As long as there are people buying music (not only streaming) they will be selling it. Amazon, Google Play, TIDAL... they all have both streaming and buying options.

But we'll see!
 

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
3,438
2,445
'Never' is a long time. It probably will be either killed off at some point although not necessarily within the next 5 years, or they will improve it drastically in some way, e.g. upgrade the audio quality as was already mentioned . Otherwise I don't see a future or need for it. It's long been eclipsed by the competition.
 

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.