Poll: How did Tim do at the Keynote

Discussion in 'iPad' started by zub3qin, Mar 7, 2012.

?

How did Tim Cook do at the new iPad Keynote

1. 1- Amazing presentation skills.

12 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. 2- Pretty good

88 vote(s)
    62.0%
  3. 3- Average

31 vote(s)
    21.8%
  4. 4- Below Average

9 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. 5- Really bad presentation skills

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Tim did a major Apple Keynote today.

So how did he do on a scale of 1-5 (1 is the best, 5 is the worst)

2. nickchallis92 macrumors 6502a

nickchallis92

he's not magical and his presentation was not resolutionary.

furthermore i could not see it properly on my laptop as it does not have a retina display with 38535897395789ppi if im 1 inch from the screen

----------

also my laptop struggled to play back the video as it did not contain enough mountain lions

3. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

He was okay, nothing note-worthy.

I just think a lot of us who have watched all the previous keynotes have quite high standards when it comes to watching a keynote without Steve in it... I mean, personally I knew not to expect anything incredible, and thus didn't feel truly disappointed.

I thought he got his job done, had one or two nice moments, and you can tell that he does care about the products and likes his job, which I think is important. But next to Steve, almost everyone is kind of a flop imo. When someone else does something such as call up Starbucks asking for 4,000 lattes to go and then say "just kidding" and hung up, in front of thousands of viewers, let me know.

4. bjmach macrumors 6502

I like how Steve always had the product in his hand and would demonstrate with it live. Seemed today they had alot of recorded material. You could tell that Steve just loved using his products. At least that is what I took from his Keynotes.

5. jlmac17 macrumors member

jlmac17

Tim is all business and that is to be expected. He has no vision for the tech he is about $ signs.

No one can replace The Job.

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

when i see spokesmen for other companies, i think tim cook did reasonably well, better than average. i also think phil schiller is getting even better than he already was.

7. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Yeah, it seems as if he was on stage more than Tim. I didn't really check out the time periods of it, but it certainly felt like it. Same with the iPhone 4S event.

I'd be happy seeing more Phil and Scott.
    Tim is fine, but he sounds a bit too monotone at times and it just gets you bored.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Miles better than most CEOs who try to be presenters.

I could see that he was making a conscious effort to be a bit faster paced and more enthusiastic than at the iPhone 4S event.

He isn't a "product guy" though. The guys who come out from marketing or engineering sections will naturally have more personal enthusiasm in their products.

Tim's job is to be the calm, level-headed leader who keeps shareholders happy :)

One thing I wonder is why we don't see more Greg Joswiak. He's been up on stage at a few presentations and I thought he did really well.

9. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Tim did good.

I was glad to see this product launch was more about the iPad, and they stuck to the good about the iPad and the next iteration. I always thought Steve should have left out the swipes he made at other companies and products..... There is too much good to talk about the iPad and other iDevices rather than taking time to convince us other products suck.

10. CH34P3T macrumors regular

Tim did something? Anyways, I prefer Schiller.

11. pat park macrumors 6502a

Tim did much better this time.

Schiller, still seems a bit awkward at times.

What happened to Forstall? he's usually pretty good.

12. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Tim did as well as I expected. No one is going to replace the presentation charisma of Steve, so it's not a fair comparison to make. Still, it's good to see folks like Phil seem to get more and more comfortable with each keynote. Going forward I'd like to see more of the executives get their chance to speak to the products their teams have worked on.

13. M87 macrumors 65816

Steve was unique. You could sense his obsession with and genuine enthusiasm for the product. Tim or anyone else couldn't possibly live up to that. Forstall probably comes the closest to Steve in my opinion. Where was he?

14. maclook macrumors 65816

He messed up on the "well stop waiting!" part which was funny and I think he got a chuckle out of getting overexciting for that line.

I just think he's boring. Very businessy. The long pauses clearly feel like speech techniques. It's strange how Jobs' long pauses never came off like that.

15. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Yeah he keeps doing that thing where he looks left and thinks....

16. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

Eh, there wasn't much iOS talk in the event to truly have him there.

They had the 5.1 update, but it didn't have anything important enough to actually have Scott up there to talk about.

17. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

He's a typical suit...and I don't mean that in a bad way. He is very business oriented and that comes across in his presentations in his somewhat robotic demeanor. He's probably never going to be the salesman that Steve Jobs was....and that is fine (and understandable since it would be difficult for Cook to ever have same type of passion for Apple that Jobs had).

If Apple keeps making great, cutting edge products it won't matter how good of a salesman Tim Cook is. If you want to hear him in his element listen to that Goldman Sachs call.

18. Nightprowler macrumors regular

I thought Randy Ubillos was the most engaging. I know his job is technically only photo and video, but I think they should transition him into full presenter.

19. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I also didn't think he had much screen time anyway. He pretty much did the intro summary and the wrap up.

20. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I think Tim came across almost a little creepy, ala Monty Burns...he knows he has all the goods we want, so we better get out there and order them right away! I think he should watch The Apostle to get some tips on how to be an evangelist.

21. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Favorite quote,

" It kind of looks like a stretched out Twitter app. That's because that's exactly what it is. Lots of white space, tiny text. It's kind of hard to see. "

I just thought that was so funny.

22. thaghost macrumors 6502

I think he did pretty good. Seemed a lot more excited when he was talking about the iPad and apple tv than Steve was. However, still will never match Steve Jobs :)

23. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

I reckon Tim did pretty well, however I found the whole keynote was a bit "fast paced" and "rushed" ?

Also, as most others have said, where was Forstall and what about Jonny Ive ??

24. thaghost macrumors 6502

I agree..it was almost an hour flat. The way they ended it was very open ended.

25. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I thought he did very well considering that he knew everyone is going to grade him and compare him on this one.