POLL: How do you use your display? Mirrored? As an extra? Or to create a MB/P Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Davmeister, Sep 7, 2009.

?

How do you use your display?

Poll closed Sep 28, 2009.
  1. As an added display to extend my desktop

48.1%
  2. As a mirrored display to show the same as my primary display

3.7%
  3. As my main display, for example with a closed lid Macbook or a Mac Pro

44.4%
  4. I have something else/funky or am just interested. Post your setup!

3.7%
  1. Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

Just wondering. Sorry if this is a repost, but I couldn't find another!

I use mine with my MBP lid closed to make it a desktop...how do you use yours?

2. SqB macrumors 6502

Up until recently, I used the monitor as a full screen display for windows via parallels. Mac on one screen, windows on the other.

Now that I no longer need the windows side, I typically use the display as a second display and rotate it 90 degrees to vertical. That's my preference for working on documents.

3. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

When I get my new one I'll be using it either with MB closed to watch films and whatnot, or just as an extra when I'm doing photo editing and things.

4. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

For the month or so I used dual displays (Dell 2208WFP and ancient Toshiba 15'' CRT) on my Studio 540, I went with extended desktop in the hopes of having Flight Simulator X span the two displays. Well, thanks to Vista, everybody's favorite OS, the main cockpit was only on the first display, with the second limited to instruments.

I've never done it or seen it done with a Mac, other than mirroring with an iMac and projector at school.

If I had multiple displays, there'd have to be an odd number, with all displays being the same model.

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I use my 20" ACD as my main display at my desk and my MBA's screen holds "reference" information as an extended desktop off to the left.

The only negative side about this is needing to resize every window when I detach my MBA from the display – I find it frustrating that my Mac never seems to resize windows accordingly to suit the smaller screen when it clearly knows that the larger display is no longer attached. :mad:

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

23" ACD on MBP as extended desktop.

23" & 30" ACDs as dual screen extended desktop on Mac Pro.

7. foodle macrumors 6502

Lastest generation Mac Mini driving two 24" LCDs as extended desktop (a 24" LED ACD from mini DP port and an NEC 2490 WUXi from the mini DVI port (using mini DVI to DVI adapter)). I used to have a DVI splitter mirroring one of the screens to another screen on my conference table, but Apple's implementation of HDCP seems to have made DVI splitters unusable :mad:

8. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I do extended. I like to put separate windows on separate monitors in Reason and Pro Tools. I just got a touch-screen Mimo I'll be using for my iTunes window. Should be fun.

9. maghemi macrumors 6502

I selected the as my main screen answer. Though that answer is not strictly true.

I do use the external 22" screen as my main screen but I leave open the MB screen. Mail lives on the on board screen so I can see emails that come in. While I'm working that's handy so I can glance to see if it's worth interrupting the work I'm currently doing to read. It tends to spend more time with the screen attached than not. So the re size issue isn't too much of an issue

On my Mac Pro I've got 2 24" screens with a similar layout of programs to the MB, but the second screen houses more than just mail. But pretty much same rationale.

10. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy