Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many Macs do you actually use on a regular basis?

Votes: 45 32.4%

Votes: 44 31.7%

Votes: 29 20.9%

Votes: 11 7.9%

Votes: 1 0.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 or more

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • none

Votes: 6 4.3%

• Total voters

motulist

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I'm talking about Macs that you actually use, not Macs that are sitting in your closet or getting dusty in a back corner of your basement. How many Macs do you actually use on a regular basis, and what do you use each one for?

I use:

1) powerbook G4 1ghz - for all my work and studying stuff, and my general purposes like photos, web surfing, etc.

2) quicksilver 933 MHz - for my music composition stuff, audio recording, soft synths, midi sequencing

3) powermac G4 dark blue & white 400 MHz - server duties, does big downloads, holds my media on the attached external drive and serves up my music and movies wirelessly to my laptop, is a printing station for wireless printing, scanner station, general web surfing in my kitchen

4) powermac G3 light blue & white 350 MHz - for when I really need to do writing or studying that I can't be distracted from, because this machine has no network card so it isn't on the net, and it's too underpowered to play videos, run games or other distractions

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
one in my sig. sorry for being boring :D

but i wouldnt mind having a Powermac G4 as a server. how is it? my Auntie has a graphite PowerMac G4 that she never uses but im not sure of the specs, it might not even have gigabit ethernet. im going to build my own gaming PC soon so i might not even need it.

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2007
NY
I use:
Macbook 2.1GHz 10.5.4-I use for my portability main computer

2 Mac Mini-1 has a linux server on it, 1 has a 10.5 server- Use as mail and web server

Mac pro- use as my gaming rig, with windows on boot camp

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I use 7 regularly.. as in daily or near daily.

1. Work Desktop: MDD
  2. Work Laptop: MBP
  3. Work Laptop w/ OS X Server: MBP
  4. Work XServe: G5
  5. Work XServe: Intel
  6. Home Desktop: Quicksilver '01
  7. Home Laptop: AlPB

remmy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Mac Pro for everything

ibook for portable and playing movies on tv in other room.

The speed difference is crazy, I always think something is wrong with the ibook.

panosg77

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
Athens, Greece
I use my MBP on a daily basis for just about anything (internet, music, work etc).

My older PB and the iBook are being used by my wife at the time :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Just my faithful MacBook Pro. He does it all...no need to cheat on him, you know?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

My 2ghz C2D iMac for work, play (XP) and media.
My 12" PowerBook sits beside my bed and is only used for internet and email, sometimes a DVR when my iMac is in XP.

Planning on selling both and getting a 24" iMac and an Asus EEE (or MSI Wind) sub-notebook.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
My Intel iMac as my main machine
My G4 Mac Mini as my torrent/TV machine
My mums G4 iMac (helping her figure out how to use OSX :p)

leishan

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2005
I currently use:

15" Macbook Pro
20" iMac (PPC)
Upgraded G4 Sawtooth

My wife uses my old 12" iBook and my 6 year old uses my old Bondi Blue iMac G3

One can never have too many...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
1 or 3, depending on the definition of "regular basis".

My main machine is a MacBook CD 2.0GHz with 2GB RAM and a nice 320GB HD.

Then there's the backup machine, a 12" iBook G4 800MHz. Nice to have around and I play the occasional game under Classic.

And lastly is the 24" iMac C2D 2.4GHz with 4GB RAM that I have had at my disposal down at my main employer's office (don't know what happens to that now that I've gotten a new job, though). I've rarely used that one at all, but it's nice to have every now and then when I can be bothered to take the trip into "the office".

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I have my Power Mac G5 at work, another at home, and a MacBook I use around the house as well. There are a couple of server machines I'll use once a week or so, but I did not count those when answering the poll.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
My currently active list...
  • PowerBook G3 Wallstreet (with G4/500 upgrade): Primary writing and e-mailing system. I also do quite a bit of web browsing on this system, but it is just the one I enjoy writing on the most.
  • PowerMac G4 Sawtooth (with a G4/1.2 upgrade): Graphic design, web design, video and audio editing system. Pretty much the system I turn to when I know a task is going to need a little more horse power.
  • Power Macintosh G3 Mini Tower (with G4/533 upgrade): This system was replaced as my work system when I got the Sawtooth up and running, so it replaced (in turn) an old iMac as my iTunes player/server.
  • PowerBook G3 Pismo: My wife's system.
  • PowerBook G3 Lombard: Main mobile system, on which I can replicate most of what I can do on the other systems, and it is also my main school system (with all my mathematics applications installed on it).
  • Power Macintosh 8600/300: Primary Rhapsody system, while not especially fast, it is more than fast enough for the illustration and page layout work I've been doing on it lately. It is also the system that I use to maintain my Rhapsody and NeXT websites.
  • Power Macintosh 8600/300 (with G3/450 upgrade): Running Mac OS 8.6, this was supposed to be my primary Classic application system, but in actual use it is the system I use for converting my VHS tapes to Quicktime movies and the system I use for watching TV.
  • PowerBook G3 Wallstreet: Newest addition to my collection, this is my mobile Rhapsody system and the system on which I'll keep all the documentation I use for my work (replacing an old IBM ThinkPad running Rhapsody that has been performing those duties since 1999).
  • PowerBook 3400c/200: This truly is my primary Classic application system. Nearly every Classic application I own is installed on this system which lets me do just about anything on it if need be. Right now it is mainly used for printing to my LaserWriter, playing Hellcats and using FrameMaker 6 (so that I'm no longer using FrameMaker 3.2 in OPENSTEP). Including having some version of nearly every app I could think of, it also has training documentation on most of them, so I have used this system for both my training and have loaned it out to others as a learning tool.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
11 that I actually sit in front of on a regular basis - mix of Pros, MBP's 17/15 and the Air + spare (which has been needed as soon as I picked it up)

3 x Pros @ home: General noodling. One Boot Camps Vista, but not all the time
4 x Pros @ work: Reviewing and modelling crunched data from the servers, related stuff
Air +spare @ everywhere: Mostly presentation - combined with notetaking, messageing and related stuff. Spare acquired recently, already in use while other one gets Applecared yet again :rolleyes:
1 x 17" Macbook Pro @ home: More home noodling. The purchased spare is collecting dust so far, which has to be some kind of record
1 x 15" Macbook Pro @ work: Research collaboration, and also general office automation - everyone has one. We have plenty of spares to go around for the regular occasions when something goes wrong

Everything else is done under Windows.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Quoted for future reference. Sesshi actually uses Macs on a regular basis.
Ummm... isn't that actually a rather large leap to draw the conclusion that Sesshi is actually using something just because he says that he is sitting in front of it.

For all the information that he has supplied, he could be sitting in front of them just trying to figure out how to turn them on. How do we know that he isn't attempting to figure out where to put his metaphorical driving key into these systems so that he might (someday) take advantage of his metaphorical driving license. We just don't know. :eek:

:rolleyes: So, Sesshi, what do you do on those 11 computers? Those of us whom you classified as having a very limited workaday repertoire would like to know.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
True enough.. but I figured statistically speaking he'd have to touch them once in a while whilst in the process of standing up or something. It not enough to simply admire them day in and day out. They must be touched, if not "accidentally".

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Quoted for future reference. Sesshi actually uses Macs on a regular basis.

Why else would I hang out here, and why else would I complain they crap out all the time? :p

It might also be fair to assume that someone who has >$500,000's worth of XServes might know what they're doing, and perhaps have some heavy-duty needs. Or at least the people he employs might. The Apple or Apple-contract engineers... not so sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.