Poll: How much would you pay for a no-contract iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Holla, Jul 23, 2008.

?

How mush would you pay for a locked phone?

Poll closed Aug 22, 2008.
  1. Scenario 1: $99/$199 iPhone with ATT Contract

87.5%
  2. Scenario 2: $799/$899 iPhone w/o ATT Contract

12.5%
  1. Holla macrumors newbie

Apple and AT&T learned from their activation mistakes last year, but now the customers are now paying for it. Customers must wait in line pretty much any day of the week. C'mon AT&T and Apple. I think more people would have bought the iPhone if the activation process was quick and simple like last year. Here's my solution.

1. AT&T current (both eligible and ineligible for upgrades) and future customers should ahve the option to go through the activation process in store. The rates should be $99 for the 8GB and $199 for the 16GB if activated in the store. There should also be a no-cancellation clause on the iPhone contract. If you cancel the iPhone, then you must pay the remaining balance of the contract. No biggie, if you're going to be loyal to AT&T.

2. Customers should pay $799 for the 8GB iPhone and $899 for the 16GB iPhone if they don't want to activate in the store. They should be able to buy the iPhone and walk out the store. The iPhone will still be locked to AT&T, but will make customers think twice on the buying a phone that costs just as much as an Mac Mini. Limit should be set at 1 iPhone per customer, no exceptions. Credit card only. If customers actually end up activating the iPhone through iTunes at home, then a credit of $700 or $800 should be applied to the AT&T account. Once activated through AT&T, the no-cancellation clause goes into effect.

I think this would work well for AT&T, Apple, and the customer. Any thoughts?

2. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

$799 & $899? No way....too high unless they were fully unlocked, no contract phones.

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Not unless they were SIM free handsets yes fully unlocked, then these prices would be reasonable.

4. Holla thread starter macrumors newbie

Fully unlocked phones are available in Europe. I think Denmark sells or will sell them for about $900-$1000 USD.

5. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Err... no.

Judging by all the comments on here about Apple overcharging trial mobileme accounts, AT&T botching business and education discounts, etc. I do not trust either to suddenly apply a $700 credit when I activate the phone at home.

People who want a no contract phone wouldn't want it for the convenience of being able to take it home without waiting in line for activiation, they want it so they can leave AT&T whenever they want. Apple and AT&T should simply just learn their lesson from this time around and allow people to activate at home.

Also, AT&T has announced that they will be offering a no-contract iPhone soon. And i believe at a cheaper cost then you are proposing.

6. Holla thread starter macrumors newbie

You're not reading the entire scenario. If customers activated the iPhone legitimately through AT&T, they'll get their money back.

7. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I'd consider $499 for an unlocked 8GB but certainly no more than that.

8. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Exactly.

And be locked into contract. The whole point of paying more for the phone is so you dont have a contract.

9. Holla thread starter macrumors newbie

AT&T is offering a no-contract, locked phone in the future. $599 for the 8GB and $699 for the 16GB.

My proposal, will have the balance of price applied to your AT&T account once activated through AT&T. This allows you to not pay a phone bill for at least 7 months.

10. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

So are you? As far as I can tell with your proposal the phone is still locked to AT&T.

Whoop. Dee. Doo. You're still on contract with AT&T.

11. Holla thread starter macrumors newbie

In the US, you only have 2 major players in the GSM market. AT&T and T-Mobile. T-Mobile is a smaller market in the US.

And Verizion/Sprint customers will see pigs fly before they see an iPhone on a CDMA-based network.

I was just saying that my proposal or any proposal similiar to mine would make the purchasing experience a little more less frustrating.

12. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I don't see a poll. I paid $599 last year but got the $100 credit and paid $199 again this year. I don't have a problem with the contract. So I would rather save the $$.

13. Holla thread starter macrumors newbie

It's up now.

14. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

But the problem with your options is that you're still not giving a no-contract option!

Option 1: Similar to current plan, although you've inexplicably dropped prices $100 (no complaints here).

Option 2: Higher price, but once they plug their phone into iTunes, they're on AT&T contract! (Per your original post). Yes, they get a rebate, but it's just the same plan as option 1, only you pay more up front.

There should be an Option 3: AT&T's actual plan, which is to offer a no-contract AT&T phone for $599/$699, which you can then do what you please with. (Sell, unlock, etc.)

15. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I will take the smaller price for the phone with the contract

16. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

I'd pay $599 for a 32gb carrier independent* iPhone with 3g abilities.

*by carrier independent I mean 3g works on ALL 3g networks world wide and the same for 2g/gsm.