Poll: How Often Do You Take Your Macbook Out? (i.e. - Does it go w/ you everywhere?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HappyDude20, Dec 27, 2009.

How often does your Macbook go with you outside of the home?

1. Everyday

41 vote(s)
  2. Every other day

16 vote(s)
  3. Less than 3 times a week

8 vote(s)
  4. Less than a handful of times a month

11 vote(s)
  5. Almost never

13 vote(s)
  1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

Jul 13, 2008
    Los Angeles, Ca
    How often does your Macbook go with you when you head out the door?

Is it daily, once a week, even less?

I'd imagine if you never took it out then why'd you get a Macbook and not an iMac?

I ask because I notice that for years now my Macbook goes with me just about everywhere. Even at times and places I may not need it.

In the morning the items I grab before heading out the door are: cell phone, wallet, keys, and placing my MBP in my InCase backpack.
  2. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Jul 12, 2009
    Athens, Greece
    5 days a week at work. The rest of the time i just carry my keys, phone and money. I like the freedom.
  3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    I don't often carry it with me, because i don't need it. I take it to school on occasion. I got the MacBook instead of an iMac because I like being able to use my computer in any room in the house.
  4. IBradMac macrumors 68000

Jun 27, 2008
    Maybe one to two days a week. I bought a MBP, because I hate to sit at a desk to even do work.
  5. peapody macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2007
    baltimore, md
    I am going to start taking my MBP out more since the thinkpad is about to be sold.
  6. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

May 15, 2007
    I keep one at my desk and one with me wherever I go.
  7. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

Oct 8, 2008
    this post makes a good caase for the rumored islate computing device. Most of us don't need the horsepower of the MBP wherever we take it.
  8. motownflip macrumors regular

Oct 24, 2007
    I take it with me to work all the time. Whether I use it there or not.
  9. toolbox macrumors 68020

Oct 6, 2007
    Australia (WA)
    Mine comes to work with me 5 days a week. Other then that it stays connected on my desk.
  10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Oct 24, 2007
    my MBP was in the shop over the past day (quick turnaround) and I realized that I could do everything I need to on my iphone and library/public computer, provided I save all my docs to my idisk or something.

But I bring my mbp with me every day to school. I will be the first in line whenever the islate comes out so I can leave my MBP desk bound.
  11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    I took my MBP (2006) out with me every day for 3 years. Then I got my hands on a MBA, and now that goes out with me every day instead ;)

Which is great, because, what with the SSD, it's actually better for 99% of what I need a laptop for.

Just played some WoW on the MBP. Ah, it's a beauty. But it does lack Teh Snappy®.
  12. thatguysmells macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2009
    I take mine to school almost every day. During finals it definitely comes with me every day. We have wifi in the libraries so it works out perfect. I never use it to take notes however. I prefer hand writing my notes. :D
  13. mcmoose macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2009
    mine used to come with me everyday to class, but nest semester im thinking that i will bring it with me but not use it... kinda distracting
  14. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

Sep 8, 2009
    Northern California
    I know I don't have a Macbook,But my iBook is basically a way early macbook right?But everytime I go somewhere I grab my keys,wallet,phone,flash drive,(I always have my 16GB Sandisk flash drive on me.)and usually a pack of gum.But I also drop my main laptop,usually a iBook in my Swiss Tech laptop Backpack and go.I always have a powersupply and wireless mouse in the backpack with all my cables and hard drives and flashdrives and all this stuff I don't need but take them with me anyways.Ya,hopefully my iBook should be replaced very soon by my PowerBook g4 when it's fixed.
  15. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

Jul 8, 2008
    Suburban Texas
    My Whitebook goes with me to work everyday. I actually have an AC adaptor that I leave at work, just so I won't have to carry it around with me. I think an Air is in my future. Or maybe replacing the optical drive in the Whitebook with a spinning disk, and putting a SSD where the HD goes. I did not take the Whitebook the other day, and I really missed it, using Windows XP on the office computer really got on my nerves!

Chef Jay
  16. tkboss88 macrumors member

Dec 23, 2009
    i take mine out every day because i need it for school and just in case the crackheads that live in my building decide to break into my room and take my stuff. LIVING IN THE GHETTO SUCKS!!! :mad:
  17. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

Mar 12, 2006
    Rural America
    Exactly. I rarely ever take my MBP out with me, because it's just too big or too heavy. I mean, I like to be able to do work on it, but I don't need all its power or screen space just to type some stuff or surf the web.

Come on Apple tablet, don't let me down.
  18. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Apr 21, 2004
    i would say about 4 times a week. love the 7 hr battery life.
  19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

Sep 23, 2006
    My uMBP is my primary work system. I take it to the office, client meetings and on vacations. I hardly ever use it at home since I have the iMac. I use dropbox to keep the files in sync. Now if I could get iTunes to stay completely synced between systems it would be perfect.

20. iMav macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2008
    Columbus, WI
    I go in phases. I work out of my home office a lot, but have a work-provided laptop (Dell with the nasty on it) that I carry around when I'm out and about for work. When gone on sales trips, I alternate between taking my netbook and my MBP with my work laptop.

I've considered simply using my MBP for work-related activities...but part of me feels I should leave the use and abuse to the work laptop.
  21. Potomac macrumors member

Apr 16, 2009
    It depends on when I need it at school. Sometimes I may not need it for weeks when other times I may need it everyday for weeks.
  22. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

Jul 5, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I used to bring my mbp to work daily, but lately I've had access to a company mbp. Nice thing about having mobilme is that I can instantly transfer all my settings to my work comp and then disable it if need be. :)
  23. mmfphotodude macrumors member

Dec 24, 2009
    My iBook goes everywhere with me: School, friends, library, familys you name it :)

Does the job, although thinking of upgrading to a used 2006 MacBook. Whats the speed like in comparison?

24. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Mar 27, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I used to be consulting until very recently and my MBP would travel with me all over this planet. I had once an HD fail on me in Dublin, and even though there are no Apple Stores there, an authorized service center did the repair. Fortunately I always carry a data backup with me, so I just restored and was good to go.
  25. MacLawyer macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2009
    I was paranoid about dragging my MB around with me....

So I bought a nice used aluminum PowerBook G4 (1.67 gig), upgraded the memory, threw Leopard on it, and now it is my carry-everywhere laptop.