Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often should Security Updates be issued?

• Immediately when any security problem is found

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • Only when a more serious security problem is found

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • Weekly or more often

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Bi-weekly or semi-monthly

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Exactly once a month

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Every month or two (as Apple does now)

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • A few times a year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Annually or less often

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Doctor Q said:
That's the intended meaning of the "Immediately when any security problem is found" choice in the poll. Nobody wants fixes before they fix anything.
That's what I understood and why I voted for "immediately".

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
vikas soni said:
I think Apple should go for Automatic updates at least in case of Security Updates. The updates are checked for n downloaded even without asking the user. And the user is notified once the update is installed. He can choose whenever to restart as he wish.
On second thoughts, I dont know but such a feature may turn out to be the biggest Security Loophole ever:D . Downloading system files without even confirming the user:eek:

mmm... doesnt windows do this already? LOL I agree, if the update is there download it and install it with the next restart, just like windows, thats one thing MS definately got right in my opinion. Just inform the user of the security fix, including a severity "this update is super dupper important, you have to restart NOW" vs. "This will likely never be exploited and if that happens you MIGHT see your mouse responding a bit slow, feel free to restart whenever"

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
Lollypop said:
thats one thing MS definately got right in my opinion.

Well. I dont know if some MR forum members will like what I m saying or not. But I do believe there are quite a few things which MS got much better than Apple. I m not gonna comment on anything specifically, but then most of us do know what they are. Now The problem with XP is that they may have 10-15 points where it outweighs OSX a bit, but then they do fall far behind OSX when it comes to actual stability of the os. The best reason I love OSX is; It just get things done. With as little hassle as possible. It chooses the simplest way to do so unlike Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.