POLL: How well do you think the iPad will be able to run iOS5?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Alvi, Nov 28, 2010.

?

How well do you think the iPad will be able to run iOS5?

1. It will be smooth

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. It will work acceptably

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. It will lag the iPad to death

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

The iPad got released in the middle of two big iOS Generations, iOS3 and iOS4, it just got iOS4 and It seems to handle it well, but how will it run iOS5?

Will it break the device the same way iOS4 did to the iPhone 3G? Or will it run "kinda well" like it does on the 3GS now? Vote...

2. audioteknika macrumors regular

3. Nishi100, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010

Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

This is a hard question as iOS 5 is a unknown; we don't know anything about it. But, based on how Apple have treated iPhone's and iPod Touch in the past; here is what I think:

iOS 3 - Worked smoothly and efficiently.
    10/10 for speed and 10/10 for efficiency (battery life)

iOS 4 It is smooth - Working smoothly; however launching the music app and movies app take slightly longer. When watching a movie, in comparison to iOS 3 on iPad it, almost, has the same battery life; however, when multitasking Safari with 3 pages open and 4 of the inbuilt apps, the iPad running 4.2, has 25 minutes less playback time. Also, I have noticed that when you press the home button, when playing a game, the game lags for a few seconds, then closes; this could be due to the app needing to be put in the "pause" mode, so when you launch it again it is right back where you started.
    9/10 for speed, as switching between apps is fast and 10/10 for efficiency, when no apps are running in the background; and 8/10 for efficiency when apps are running in the background.

iOS 5 will probably have something that covers the locks screen - like widgets. I speculate that:

iOS 5 will have 7/10 speed and 7/10 efficiency It will be smooth
    iOS 6 will have 5/10 speed and 5/10 efficiency It will be acceptable
    iOS 7 will have 5/10 speed and 5/10 efficiency; because, in iOS 7, I think that they will disable features, just like they have done in iOS 4 for iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2 It will be acceptable
    iOS 8 - no support

I think that this iPad will "last" one extra iOS than iPhones and iPads have, as the processor is very powerful. NO iOS will lag the iPad to death; for example, multitasking, works OK on my iPod Touch 2g; however, wallpapers don't so they removed both - even thought multitasking was OK.

4. arcade99 macrumors member

And keep in mind:

Apple said, that the original Firmware generation (iOS 3.X) and the following generation (iOS 4.X) would be free. So don't expect a free iOS 5.X for the first generation iPad. But lets hope...

5. filfortugno macrumors regular