Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you use your iPhone in water on purpose?

• Yes, I have Apple Care + and a $99 repair fee doesn't scare me

• Yes, I don't have Apple Care + but I like to live dangerously

• No, water resistance doesn't translate to, "use it in water"

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So I'm on the iPhone upgrade program thing. My current 6S costs me $40 a month, as it's the 128GB model. Even though this is the most boring non-S release in iPhone history, I'm going to go ahead an upgrade. One, because I can, and two, because the 128GB of the 7 will cost me $36 a month instead. So I'm actually saving money.

Now the matter at hand. The upgrade program gives me Apple Care + "free". That means I get two "accidental" replacements if the device dies. Now, if it dies due to water damage, it will undoubtedly fall under the $99 internal part repair. Knowing this, I am planning on occasionally getting the thing wet on purpose. Shallow water pics and vids and such.

What do you think? Will you get it wet on purpose?

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
So I'm on the iPhone upgrade program thing. My current 6S costs me $40 a month, as it's the 128GB model. Even though this is the most boring non-S release in iPhone history, I'm going to go ahead an upgrade. One, because I can, and two, because the 128GB of the 7 will cost me $36 a month instead. So I'm actually saving money.

Now the matter at hand. The upgrade program gives me Apple Care + "free". That means I get two "accidental" replacements if the device dies. Now, if it dies due to water damage, it will undoubtedly fall under the $99 internal part repair. Knowing this, I am planning on occasionally getting the thing wet on purpose. Shallow water pics and vids and such.

What do you think? Will you get it wet on purpose?
First off that's sort of dumb. At least put it in a sandwich zip lock bag. Second AppleCare + is not free. You pay a monthly fee. Third if you intend to do photo shoot of your poop when it falls in toilet? Be sure to post em.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
You can buy frames that make the iP water tight for the purpose you list. They are cheaper than the $99 fee and also you won't have to spend time twittering your thumbs waiting for the Genius to get to your table.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
READ THE FINE PRINT.

Not liable for water damage

Its resistant not Proof, Since you the customer "exceed" the water resistance tolerance you the customer are responsible.

Nati-Yolie

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
First off that's aorta dumb. At least put it in a sandwich zip lock bag. Second AppleCare + is not free. You lay among my fee. Third you intend to do photo shoot of your poop when it falls in toilet? Be sure to post em.
And this is why I rarely post anywhere...First, I'm just posting my opinion and how I plan on using my phone. You can think it's dumb. But why even mention that? Second, I used Sony Xperias and Samsungs in the water all the time and they were fine. Third, I plan on using it for white water kayaking. But good poop joke I guess?
[doublepost=1473446515][/doublepost]
READ THE FINE PRINT.

Not liable for water damage

Its resistant not Proof, Since you the customer "exceed" the water resistance tolerance you the customer are responsible.
Right, not liable for water damage and costly to replace without Apple Care +. But with AC+ it is not that expensive to have it replaced.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
And this is why I rarely post anywhere...First, I'm just posting my opinion and how I plan on using my phone. You can think it's dumb. But why even mention that? Second, I used Sony Xperias and Samsungs in the water all the time and they were fine. Third, I plan on using it for white water kayaking. But good poop joke I guess?
And I am posting my opinion of a ridiculous statement. You know the phone is not water proof. And is safe for accidental exposure.

So get a case expressly for such wet adventures or use phones you have that are waterproof.

I mention it because one I have as much right as you to voic my opinion and I am tired of people posting comments for the sole reason of degrading the product, ono it is not designed for more advertised for such use.

mtcowdog

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
I would love a phone I can use underwater. The iPhone 7 is not that phone. But it does have a nice feature to help protect me from my clumsy usage. I've dropped more than one iPhone in water. On previous phones (up to the 6), that wasn't a fun experience. iPhone 7's water resistance is long overdue. But next year I want my underwater phone. Gurgle, gurgle.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
I would love a phone I can use underwater. The iPhone 7 is not that phone. But it does have a nice feature to help protect me from my clumsy usage. I've dropped more than one iPhone in water. On previous phones (up to the 6), that wasn't a fun experience. iPhone 7's water resistance is long overdue. But next year I want my underwater phone. Gurgle, gurgle.
You do realize you can not receive or make calls underwater. Wifi won't work either. The signal is grounded. Maybe a nice undated camera or go pro in watertight case. Just a thought.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I can;t imagine a situaton where I would want to use the phone in the water. Near water, sure. But generally when I am in water (swimming, I guess?) I am more focused on that than using the phone.

stanman64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I wouldn't willfully submerge my 7, but I would feel much better about the possible chance of ruining it. What I will look forward to is being able to use the 7 with wet hands and not worrying about sand getting in anywhere, with (theoretically) no worries.

Fun fact: I once dropped my current 6s into a full rum and coke. It went alllllll the way to the bottom. Instantly pulled it out, dried it off, and never had a problem with it since.

I can;t imagine a situaton where I would want to use the phone in the water. Near water, sure. But generally when I am in water (swimming, I guess?) I am more focused on that than using the phone.

Some dudes are creepy and take underwater shots of girls.

I had an underwater camera once, I thought it would be cool but pics weren't very good and the water was quite merky. However, there is obviously a market for waterproof cases and people buy them, if nothing else, for the "cool" factor, I suppose.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
IP67 is fine for depth up to 1 meter for 30 minutes. I wouldn't make a habit of submerging it underwater regularly but I'd be okay using it for the occasional swimming pool or beach photos. You can use the volume controls for taking pics, right? Because the capacitive touchscreen is likely useless underwater.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Some dudes are creepy and take underwater shots of girls.

I had an underwater camera once, I thought it would be cool but pics weren't very good and the water was quite merky. However, there is obviously a market for waterproof cases and people buy them, if nothing else, for the "cool" factor, I suppose.
That is.... something

benboy12

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2014
I will be curious to see how it holds up in water. The IP67 rating makes me think it will be fine, but Apple not wanting to cover water damage makes me nervous. I think it would be cool to stream Netflix on my 7 Plus while relaxing in a hot bath.

Dmal99

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN IN REAL LIFE?
In theory, the iPhone 7 can be submerged in depths of under 1m for 30 minutes and not sustain any permanent damage.

So, in essence, if you drop it down the toilet or into the bathtub while tweeting, you'll probably be OK. If some careless beer criminal spills a full pint over it, it may be smelly and sticky for a while, but ultimately it’ll work just fine. If you jump in the pool with it still in your pocket (as I did last summer, killing my iPhone 6) there's a much greater chance it'll survive.

The same applied for the IP68-rated S7.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-ip68-ip-ratings-explained#A2Ho5ZLvWRyrsq97.99

Reactions: HEK
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.