POLL >>> iPhone 4: Yellow tinted warmer display *issue*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SmackP, Jul 13, 2010.

?

iPhone 4: Do you have a 'Warm' (more yellow) color temperature display?

Poll closed Jul 20, 2010.
  1. Yes, my screen color temperature is a warm yellow

16 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. No, my screen color temperature is 'cool' with whites like the 3GS

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  1. SmackP macrumors member

It seems that certain batches of 3G and 3GS had yellowy and 'warmer' displays than the rest which were nice 'cool' colour temperatures where whites actually look white.

There are countless YouTube videos and experiences that show that the i4 is indeed 'warmer' in colour temperature than the 3GS. Much warmer.

The issue is that a recent thread "entitled: White Balance Questions...w/ Photo Samples" has been strangely and recently deleted. The last few posts show two i4s one with a warmer yellow display and one that isn't yellow at all - like the mainstream 3GS models.

This sets off alarm bells and I would like to know how many of you out there do not have a warmer colour display? Comparison with 3G and 3GS would be ideal.

2. droeun macrumors member

3GS definitely had yellow screen issues but I think they got the new ones sorted out. The screen on my iPhone 4 is perfect :D

3. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Poll sucks, I've seen 3GS with different screens i.e. some better then others in terms of color temperature and sharpness.

Long story short my iP4 has a much more accurate screen then a 'good' 3GS screen and for the record most (newer build) 3GS have the worse screen.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

My original 3GS and the warranty replacement (even worse) were both yellow/warm so i've been used to that color tone and therefore i'm used to it now and no longer find it an issue in my iP4 which also has the yellow tint but only slight so and thats at low brightness levels.

5. Kavik macrumors member

SmackP...The moderators moved the posts back to their original thread below after mistakenly lumping them in the white balance thread:

>>> OMG >>> iPhone 4 Screen is YELLOW?!

Also, there are a few more comparison pics here:

Iphone 4-Yellow Screen

6. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

7. Mark Booth macrumors 68000

Mark Booth

I'm a photographer and I work with color calibrated displays. The iPhone 4's display is the closest Apple has come yet to producing an iPhone with a properly calibrated display. Yes, compared to my 3GS, the iPhone 4's display is warmer. But it was my 3GS' screen that had inaccurate color (far too blue).

Maybe there are different displays being used on the assembly line, but my iPhone 4 has excellent color reproduction so your poll needs a "Mine's as close to perfect as is possible" option.

Mark

8. SmackP thread starter macrumors member

Sorrybut some think the yellow warmer colors are fine others think blue cooler colors are fine.

This is only about the unit LCD and not whether you like it or not.

It can be of use for people deciding whether to replace in the hope of getting the non-yellow one.

9. SmackP thread starter macrumors member

Well, it's already starting to look like there is a 50% chance of getting an iPhone with a different color temp screen.

10. Savor Suspended

Savor

Got the warmer one.

Before, I did prefer the cooler tone. But when I held my iPhone and iPod touch side by side to compare the same pix, I noticed my photos in shadows were dark on the 2G iPhone at the same 50% brightness/no auto settings for both.

Since I have the iPod touch and gotten used to the warmer screen already, don't mind it on my iP4 either.