Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What features need to be in the iPhone/With the iPhone

• Total voters

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
They need to release a 4.7” screen version that is the size of the SE. Alternatively a foldable screen that achieves the same thing.

I’m really sick of these huge phones. Everything becomes less magical the bigger it gets. The SE and the iPad mini 4 are the most magical devices Apple has ever created. And the 12” MacBook is the most magical feeling Apple laptop.

Absolutely agree - any idiot and two-bit engineer can create a large phone with features, and the past several years, that is exactly what took place at Apple.

The original iPhone was as magical as it was, because it did everything it could do, in an impossibly small size.

Apple has now pursued the opposite approach, because of several executives that appear to value their own focus, over actually creating “insanely great products”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Breezygirl

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
Virtual Home Button is already there (you switch it on as an Accessibility option) but it would be nicer if you could anchor it one place. Dunno if adding TouchID would be possible.
[doublepost=1562965748][/doublepost]
Absolutely agree - any idiot and two-bit engineer can create a large phone with features, and the past several years, that is exactly what took place at Apple.

The original iPhone was as magical as it was, because it did everything it could do, in an impossibly small size.

Apple has now pursuit the opposite approach, because of several executives that appear to value their own focus, over actually creating “insanely great products”.

My iPhone X is as large as I'm willing to go. Any more and it would feel like I was lugging round a Glock in my pocket.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
A freaking native white point slider, please don't misconstrue that with Color Filters, which are completely different and not a substitute.

I hold my supposed 6500K Xs (true tone/night shift/reduce white point off, of course) next to a 6500K Macbook Pro and there's no question they are *completely* different. One looks fantastic, one looks like absolute piss. And the one that looks like piss, looks better than most other display models so it's "a good one".

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
Virtual Home Button is already there (you switch it on as an Accessibility option) but it would be nicer if you could anchor it one place.
Yes, all components needed for a virtual Home Button are already in place (ie via the accessibility option), all it would need is the ability to anchor it in a static position so it doesn’t float around, better haptic support, and an API to place app elements out of its way.

Basically, integrate it into the dock (the bezelfree design of the new screens frees up enough space for 4 icons and the Home Button), and it would serve as the new TouchID (once Apple integrates fingerprint scanners under glass).

Now THAT is what I would gladly upgrade to.

Dunno if adding TouchID would be possible.
Apple already has a patent and Qualcom has the technology for under-glass fingerprint scanning using sonic technology. It can be ready by 2020.

addey

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
A decent charger out of the box would be welcome at this point. Leaving the weedy charger in with the latest iPhones just came across as greedy tbh.

Reactions: Breezygirl

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden

Apple has now pursued the opposite approach, because of several executives that appear to value their own focus, over actually creating “insanely great products”.
Exactly, executives valuing the appreciation of their vesting stock option bonuses is more like it though. Problem is, milking it too long and you will lose the mojo that got you there in the first place. Now the MacBook is discontinued, this years iPhone is going to be processor and camera bumps with some more awesome emojis...iPadOS is the only thing area where it feels like anything is happening... ☹️

Last edited:

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
Exactly, executives valuing the appreciation of their vesting stock option bonuses is more like it though. Problem is, milking it too long and you will lose the mojo that got you there in the first place. Now the MacBook is discontinued, this years iPhone is going to be processor and camera bumps with some more awesome emojis...iPadOS is the only thing area where it feels like anything is happening...

I am cautiously optimistic about 2020, since Jony Ive left, and with him the largest impediment to product-focused design... I’m doubly optimistic with Jeff Williams stepping into that void, who is arguably an “obsessive product guy”.

These are good developments, and the rumors about 2020 iPhone models are encouraging...

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Can’t argue with a such a general negative comment that can be proven or disproven, but bullocks.

Apple has been creating “insanely great products”, by my definition. But this is entirely subjective.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
You missed the one possible feature that I want the most: high accuracy GPS. The new qualcomm chip can do centimeter grade accuracy using more satellites. The overall accuracy isn't so important in open areas, but in city driving the extra signals will mean the GPS actually works properly!

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
There's really nothing on the list of poll options that move me significantly one way or the other.

Sure, 5G would be nice, but it's not here yet.
Folding displays? Meh.
The Notch? I hardly notice it, seriously.
Camera? Perhaps a better low-light system.
Rapid charging? No, I charge it overnight and get a full day's use (and then some) on a single charge.
Pencil? Nope.
AirPods? Already have them.
Google Maps? No, I prefer Waze, but even then, opening an app is seriously not any more trouble than opening Apple maps.
Call Screening? I don't see that as a feature that Apple can provide.
TouchID? No, that ship has sailed for me. I was incredibly skeptical of FaceID, but can't think of a single reason go back to TouchID.

What else ya got?

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
its Obvious that whether it’s been Jony Ives leaving or Apple engineers working on other projects that the hardware in the iPhone has become stale.
While 5G may produce a spark in 2020 most people will not be able to get it unless they’re in big cities. And needless to say the level of 5G that you desire will cost you extre money from your carrier
In any case Apple needs to put the iPhone ahead of services

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
Yep, 5G won’t matter for most of us for at least 2-3 more years, when the network will be sufficiently deployed across the US.

IPhone has become stale because Jony Ive was still at Apple, and ‘phoning it in’ - there are indications that his departure will effectively revitalize the product line from 2020 onwards.

Reactions: Wide opeN

phoneme

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
[QUOTE="I7guy, post: ]

Apple has been creating “insanely great products”, by my definition. But this is entirely subjective.[/QUOTE]
looks like someone's bar is set pretty low. but if that's how you roll then keep rolling...

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
There isn't any feature which can save iPhone from slowing sales. The fact is, iPhone is saturated in Apple's traditional target markets. Asia is a potential growth area, but even then there's only so much anyone can do. I work with a number of amazing people from the Philippines who talk about Apple as a symbol of extreme wealth in their country. That is NOT going to result in increased sales in a country like that. It's no one's fault, either. Android is going to have the same problem shortly.

At this point, Apple simply has to adjust targets to get the most out of their large install base. They make the best ecosystem in terms of syncing between devices and they need to maximize that. They need to improve their services at a faster clip.

iPhone is the present and will exist for the foreseeable future, but Apple will be a different company until the next big earth-shattering piece of tech launches.
[doublepost=1563137181][/doublepost]
looks like someone's bar is set pretty low. but if that's how you roll then keep rolling...
Based on your signature, we would have to dig a ditch to set your bar.

Android software quality is poor and even Google services, which I like, require way too much information from you

Last edited:
Reactions: Shanghaichica

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
It always amazes me how when surveys such as this one are presented, never once is there a mention of what USED to be the purpose of these devices...the phone itself. I would give up every single feature listed here to just get a phone that was a reliable phone with great call quality. But I guess what used to be a phone with some added features has now turned into a communication/entertainment device that happens to contain a phone (without much priority anymore).

YonTom

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2019
What I would like the most is a smaller iPhone! I saw the iPods at the Apple store the other day and all I could think was: oh, I wish that was a phone so that I could take it home with me. I don’t need 3 cameras, or Face ID, or even an OLED display (as nice as they are)... something small, light and with great battery life, please! I’d call it... the iPhone Air :-D

Reactions: Ladybug and I7guy

ZeitGeist

Suspended
Mar 22, 2005
[QUOTE="I7guy, post: ]

Apple has been creating “insanely great products”, by my definition. But this is entirely subjective.
looks like someone's bar is set pretty low. but if that's how you roll then keep rolling...[/QUOTE]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.