POLL: Is email verification when joining a new site important or annoying?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iP4user, Dec 15, 2010.

?

Is email verification when joining a new site important or annoying?

1. Email verification is important for security and I don't mind the extra clicks.

24 vote(s)
    77.4%
  2. It's annoying and if you lose a few members so be it.

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  1. iP4user macrumors newbie

Hi all, I am having a debate with my friend about his website signup process. When signing up to most networking websites, you create a profile and the site sends you an email with a link to verify your email is working and you are human and not a bot. Currently his site only has a "confirm email" box, but his noticing as more users sign up more incorrect email addresses are entered and are bouncing back. As most users copy and paste if its wrong in the first box, the profile will still be created and the user wont get future email notifications when people contact them.

His argument is the email verification is an extra click he thinks is unnecessary and will annoy users and stop them signing up. He says if they enter an incorrect email address they must be fake profiles or they will miss out on the full experience for their own user error.

My argument is 1, its important to verify they are human (and not a spam bot) to ensure a valid email address and real members are joining the site and responding to alerts. 2, for security reasons anyone currently can signup with someone else's email address (which would be annoying for random people). 3, people have already spent 5 minutes creating a profile on a site they want to use regularly, a few extra clicks to ensure they get the full experience shouldn't bother them as its standard on nearly all websites these days. 4, the purpose of his site is to signup members and expand the community, if 5% enter incorrect email addresses, its better to NOT have them taking up server space and inform them they entered a wrong email when it doesn't arrive - at the signup stage, thus having to re-signup because of user error. 5, if the verification is not in place, the member will assume they entered a correct email address, however if they forget their password at a later stage the site is then unable to send them a password reset as their email address was entered wrong, in which case is MORE annoying as they have to signup all over again or contact the webmaster.

He doesn't agree with me and wants some statistics… So what do you think?

- YES - I think email verification is important for security and don't mind the extra clicks to ensure I get the full website experience.

- NO - I think the email verification process is annoying and if you get spam bots signing up or lose a few members it's fine, let them take up server space.

I looked for the poll in "additional options" but its not there, any mods can help make this thread a proper poll please?

Thanks!

2. iP4user thread starter macrumors newbie

3. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I've never created a poll, but I remember others saying that you have to create the thread then go back and add the poll.

Click on Thread Tools and select Add a Poll to this Thread

Attached Files:

4. iP4user thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks that worked! please vote :)

5. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

I don't mind it as long as the email comes quickly.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I agree. I hate those Captchas.. half the time I enter them JUST AS THEY ARE and they tell me it's wrong. On less important sites that utilize captchas I don't even bother.

Emails verification is a necessarily ring around the rosie that everyone has to do for the sake of security. Otherwise, anyone and his brother could sign you up for all sorts of crap. Spam would run amok, but on the downside it would also dilute the effectiveness of emails marketing/newsletters for the people that use them. Sure, it's an extra step but the benefits far outweigh the cons.

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I'll take it a step further and say that if the site doesn't bother to collect and verify my email address, I am far less likely to use it. I assume that the site is either not legitimate or not professional enough for me to be interacting with if they don't bother to do something as easy as requiring a valid email address. As messed up as email is it is still pretty much a "digital signature" of sorts and keeps things more tidy.

Captcha's don't bother me too much if they work right, but they don't take the place of a verifiable email address; 5-year-old kids can pass captcha's requirements.

9. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

No problem with verification here. Plus I hate those captachs too.

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

It depends where. Forums, I don't mind it. Blogs, totally different.

It doesn't really matter to lose a couple seconds when you're going to visit a website regularly, but I hate having to do that only for posting a comment on an article or blog post.

11. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

I think you should add a third option to the poll.

3) It's annoying, but necessary for security purposes.

I would fall into this category. While I find it very annoying, I know that it's there for security purposes and is required.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Depends on the Captchas. The ones my bank uses it is really easy to see what the captchas are and they are real words.

But others they are next to impossible to figure out.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

14. pixpixpix macrumors regular

Another benefit of email signups is that the email confirmation from a site gets forwarded to my Gmail account and stays there so I can always search to see if I previously signed up for a site, and what email account I used.