Poll: Is the iPhone Jewelry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by disarticulate, Sep 29, 2011.

?

Is the iPhone Jewelry?

1. Yes - I base most of my decision to buy on looks.

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Kinda - The looks of the iPhone played a small factor in me buying one.

27 vote(s)
    56.3%
  3. No - Looks don't matter, I buy for the functionality.

18 vote(s)
    37.5%
  1. disarticulate, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

disarticulate macrumors regular

I read so many posts of people disgusted at redesign renderings saying (on both sides) that they would never buy that phone because of the corners, or the bezel, or the aluminum vs. glass look.

Is the iPhone jewelry? It's an Apple product, and Jony has an amazing design reputation, so it's not going to be hideous. So why make such a big stink over the looks of the phone?

Don't get me wrong, I can't totally understand if someone would debate a larger screen, or an extended home button, or tapered design because of tangibility and functionality. But it's pretty silly to me when people say "that looks fugly, I would never buy that."

I don't buy a phone for its looks, do you?

2. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Do you buy a piece of **** looking car or a nice looking car?

I buy things for a variety of factors:
    - Price
    - Features
    - How it helps me
    And yes...
    - Looks ;)

I mean if Apple came out with an iPhone in yellow mustard/puke green color combination I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have as many people buying it and there's nothing wrong with that.

3. disarticulate thread starter macrumors regular

I haven't seen a single product from Apple that looks like a piece of ****. Nor have I seen a mock-up with yellow mustard/puke green color combinations. Yet I still see comments saying "that looks like trash, I'm staying with my iPhone 4."

4. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Looks impact the decision but functionality reigns supreme.

5. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I've never thought of it as a fashion or jewelry. It's more a tool than fashion.

6. disarticulate thread starter macrumors regular

I've used this same statement many times. Totally agree. When I went to buy a hammer, I bought an Estwing. It's not because I want to show off the Estwing label, but because it will work perfectly and it'll last 30 years.

7. tim4hire macrumors newbie

I think right now you can only say they are "A Kind of "Status"". Do to the fact they don't appreciate in monetary value unlike High End Wrist Watches which for the most part maintain there initial monetary investment.
    There are some exceptions to this like the blinged out iphones by Third Parties
    as they've been "Bejeweled" by Artisans and for the most part they will maintain their "Melt Value".

Just my rambling thoughts. What do you all think?

8. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I don't let a device determine my social status.

9. Robby S macrumors member

I'm happy to admit that design had a part to play in my decision to go with iPhone. Very few people buy expensive items like this PURELY because they simply serve a function. If iPhone looked like a piece of crap, would those same people who said "No" gone and bought it anyway, because it would have functioned the same? I doubt it.

10. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I voted yes, because I think they are grossly overpriced because of their popularity. I refuse to pay the best part of a $1K and then get shafted by the telecoms for voice/data charges.

That price premium makes the iphone jewellery in my eyes. Don't they sell Vertu phones in jewellery stores?

11. LivingLarge macrumors member

iPhone is definitely a fashion "symbol". It is a hot trendy gadget, just look at movies and tv shows, and how they all have the latest and greatest for the actors, mostly using iPhones. Same type of deal a few years back when the RAZR was the boss.

12. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

What the hell is this thread? -.-

People are really bored of waiting for iPhone 5

13. gimmeiphone macrumors 6502

14. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Of course the looks of a phone play a part but it's still not jewellery.

15. auxsend macrumors regular

The look of anything plays into why you bought it. Doesn't matter who you are. On some sub-conscious level, people are drawn to things because they look cool.

Doesn't explain the Pontiac Aztec, but then, they aren't being made anymore, so there ya go.