Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think about OS X 10.10 Yosemite's GUI graphical changes?

• Yosemite is UGLIER than ALL Prior versions of OS X

Votes: 55 11.9%
  • Yosemite is UGLIER than SOME prior versions of OS X

Votes: 40 8.6%
  • Aesthetically, I can't decide so it doesn't really matter to me.

Votes: 36 7.8%
  • Yosemite is PRETTIER than ALL Prior versions of OS X

Votes: 236 51.0%
  • Yosemite is PRETTIER than at least MAVERICKS. Full steam ahead!

Votes: 83 17.9%
  • The GUI isn't really important to me

Votes: 13 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
The importance of feedback

… its not going to change. So what's the point for all these polls or threads anyway ? …

Don't dismiss the possibility of change.

Discussion helps people to shape their feedback to Apple, and so on.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
Ok, enough with the bickering over whether Yosemite is beautiful, ugly or indifferent. How about an actual poll? I realize this is hardly definitive, but 900+ posts discussing if Yosemite is ugly is not the same as 900+ people saying it is, since there's plenty of staunch defenders, although perhaps not numerous.

So here's the question with 6 possible polling answers. 1&2 can be summed for "uglier", 4&5 for "prettier" and 3&5 for "I don't really care what way it goes". They're divided solely to give a better idea of whether Mavericks is better looking than various incarnations of AQUA or its evolution after Aqua to Leopard and Snow Leopard which changed some parts to a more "metal" look, but otherwise still maintains much of the Aqua base look.

What do you think of the current (although still evolving) OS X 10.10 Yosemite Beta graphics?

1. They're UGLY *OR* UGLIER than Mavericks (current official OS X)
2. They're UGLY *OR* UGLIER than other prior versions, especially AQUA.
3. They're about the same looking so I don't really have a preference.
4. Yosemite is PRETTIER than Mavericks.
5. Yosemite is PRETTIER than all prior versions to Mavericks, especially AQUA
6. I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE GUI GRAPHICS ONE WAY OR ANOTHER

Obviously, comments to explain one's choice in more detail can appear below, but there are already threads to discuss "beautiful" and "ugly" so qualifying answers rather than arguments are probably the best way to go.

Please Note: This poll is not asking whether you like new FEATURES in Yosemite, just the GUI. In other words, if you could have Continuity, etc. with either the Mavericks GUI overall "look" (dark mode with or not withstanding, but rather the Icons, Fonts, etc. and other graphical changes) or even an older Aqua look, would you? Or are you happy with Yosemite's new graphics overall? I realize, you could like some things but not others, so it'll have to be a tipping balance or about the same.

The poll is available for 30 days starting from today (September 7th, 2014)

It's not ugly, it's cartoonish :D . While Mavericks looks oudated now, Yosemite does not look clean and elegant, IMO.

fotomarc

macrumors regular
May 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
POLL: Is Yosemite UGLY or NOT?

First time I used iOS7 on the iPhone I hated the bright colours. Now it's second nature. I would say Yosemite will grow on you. Eventually!

The Yosemite system fonts are not good on a 27in iMac. That's for sure! Increase text size, similar to the iPhone 6 plus would be good. I find it easier to read on the iPhone now!

ddani

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
In my opinion its great. Looks great, beautiful , modern and "young" looking interface. However, it could be even greater if Apple had implemented theme customizations so that everyone could tweak the looks of Yosemite, without having the need to install 3d party apps.
But in my opinion the default interface/theme looks great, much better than Mavericks which has "depressing" look :D

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Please, don't assume that OS X 10.10 Yosemite will grow on you

It's uglier but it appears users will get used to anything. …

… I would say Yosemite will grow on you. Eventually! …

Sorry, that's been said (in so many words) too often; it's too broad an assumption. Consider this, for example:

"… Essentially: the more I tried to use the OS, the more it infuriated me. I tried Yosemite again yesterday, after less than ten minutes I was too frustrated to continue. …"​

In as few words as possible: eventually I rejected Yosemite.

… give 10.10 a fair go and if you hate the looks still with in a few weeks …

I was willing to give it a fair shot. I did. But I cannot stand it. …

Rewinding further:

… I thought I'd get used to iOS7, but almost a year later now, I still hate it. …

I expect the same to be true for my rejection of Yosemite. Time is not always the answer. Sorry, folks …

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
It's not ugly, it's cartoonish :D . While Mavericks looks oudated now, Yosemite does not look clean and elegant, IMO.

Yes, cartoonish is the word. It's shocking to me that they think this is a step forward -- but at least the UI is pretty easy to change on the mac. Much harder with iOS.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I think it looks great and I'm an engineer and I value aesthetics a lot. For one, the dock is functional and makes sense. The zoom dock was nice back in 2008 but it really served no functional purpose.

It feels faster and fresher.

I find the menus a lot more pleasant to navigate through.

It really makes the retina look good and pop out.

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
I wasn't sure, but now that I've installed it I like it better than Mavericks.
I've also switched to Safari from Chrome. It's beautiful and the drop down menu of my favourites (with folders) in the address bar is used all the time.

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
Apple did not walk the last mile. They should have used the icons from iOS7/8. Imagine that in the dock and it would look quite better already. Now we have a mix.

skadd

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
Apple did not walk the last mile. They should have used the icons from iOS7/8. Imagine that in the dock and it would look quite better already. Now we have a mix.

"Now we have a mix" Like we had in previous iterations of OS X.

Apple has a system for icons on OS X. Circles for main apps like Safari, iTunes, App Store and iBooks and tilted rectangles for apps like notes, maps, maps and reminders.

http://martiancraft.com/blog/2014/07/inspecting-yosemite-icons/

applebro

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
Yosemite is beautiful if you love Android icon themes

Lion was the most aesthetic OS of all time

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
At first I was, well, shocked that the UI looked the way it did. I considered it a big downgrade from all the candy colored UI I had grown accustomed to. But over the last few hours of usage I think I'm changing my mind. It does look neat and clean and when I look over at my iMac (which I haven't upgraded yet) it looks "old".

I think the new system font is a bit bland and less crisp than the old one. Another thing that still bugs me is the background for the dock. It doesn't look right. Why isn't there an option for 100% transparency so the icons just blend and float?

But I'm sure in time everything will be ok.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
More options, not less, for Apple customers; and topic orientation

… They should have used the icons from iOS7/8. …

No. Apple should give customers choice.

An Appearance pane in System Preferences.

Theme management, including third party themes.

An option to show the title of titled content – ideally, to show a title bar.

Orientation

The 'Yosemite is Beautiful' topic is very well-read. Ideal for people who have nothing but praise for the appearance of Yosemite.

Junosbetterhalf

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
If I were a 12 year old girl with nothing else to do but to stare at my iTunes cover art, perhaps.
As I am a grown up looking to get some serious work done, honestly I could do with less pointless distraction - a whole lot less. :mad:

Aw diddums. Good job you can turn it off then, and go get yourself a nice grey wallpaper ;)

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Aw diddums. … ;)

With that wink, I'm not sure whether you missed GerritV's greater point.

Glancing at his posts across all sub-forums, there's plenty to suggest that he is genuinely a "grown up looking to get some serious work done" who finds some pointless distractions in the appearance of Yosemite.

Junosbetterhalf

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
With that wink, I'm not sure whether you missed GerritV's greater point.

Glancing at his posts across all sub-forums, there's plenty to suggest that he is genuinely a "grown up looking to get some serious work done" who finds some pointless distractions in the appearance of Yosemite.

I believe you have valid concerns, after reading many of your posts over the last few days, and I sincerely hope they are addressed in the progression of the OS.

His reply to mine however was off the mark itself. That the OS can create some pretty screens has nothing to do with serious work, either his or mine. A Mac has always had this as part of what makes it the best, and to me the new look is an extension of that and enjoyable to play around with.

Gallion

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2011
I will never, ever, ever be able to understand how people can praise the loss of depth for various UI element, depth which is critical in helping differentiation and recognition of elements that can be interacted with, as well as the washed out gray on white everything which impairs visibility.

Right now, having a bunch of windows opened looks like they are all one single window. (See screenshot below)

Apple seems to have done the same mistake as Microsoft and forgot that this is a computer, not a goddamn smartphone. Computers are visually busy, so differentiation through appropriate design of UI elements is critical for a good workflow.

I hate this new UI because it doesn't WORK as well as the previous one. So it is definitely a step back.

----------

Is it pretty?

Definitely yes :p

[Appreciate my iTunes sorting needs some work]

Your SCREENSHOT is pretty indeed.

Now, open 5 different windows, some maximized, some almost maximized, some touching the top of the screen and some other not. You know, to have something that looks like a real-world use.

Take a screenshot and post it.

Then tell us again how "pretty" it is.

Actually nevermind. Here's one :

6G5uozq.png

To me, this looks like a mess. You probably haven't noticed, but there are 3 windows in this screenshot.
The MOST important area of a window where the outline of the window should show that it's active (the top!), it just blends with all the windows that are behind. The drop shadow is too wide and too diffuse. Stupid choice Apple. Stupid choice.

Note that I had to turn off transparency, because Apple did the very stupid thing of making the "open application" dots black as well as the dock transparent, which means that the black dots are barely visible when using a black wallpaper.

Last edited:

Junosbetterhalf

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
I will never, ever, ever be able to understand how people can praise the loss of depth for various UI element, depth which is critical in helping differentiation and recognition of elements that can be interacted with, as well as the washed out gray on white everything which impairs visibility.

Right now, having a bunch of windows opened looks like they are all one single window. (See screenshot below)

Apple seems to have done the same mistake as Microsoft and forgot that this is a computer, not a goddamn smartphone. Computers are visually busy, so differentiation through appropriate design of UI elements is critical for a good workflow.

I hate this new UI because it doesn't WORK as well as the previous one. So it is definitely a step back.

----------

Now, open 5 different windows, some maximized, some almost maximized, some touching the top of the screen and some other not.

Actually nevermind. Here's one : Image

The MOST important area of a window where the outline of the window should show that it's active (the top!), it just blends with all the windows that are behind.

Again, the post was in reference to the OS aiding in creating some pretty screens.

How do you expect anything to 'pretty' up such a setup as the one you show there?

Vapor matt

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
UK

----------

Now, open 5 different windows, some maximized, some almost maximized, some touching the top of the screen and some other not.

Actually nevermind. Here's one : Image

The MOST important area of a window where the outline of the window should show that it's active (the top!), it just blends with all the windows that are behind.

Have to agree with this, funny how its gone full circle, when the 3d dock came out it was amazing,looked awsome ext ext, with crisp clear icons, neat folders, definition to everything.

now its gone back to a tiger look, but even that had better looking windows and folders. as a OS no problems but the look is not so good.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
OS X 10.10 beta: ugliest to 12% of voters, prettiest to 50%, and a lack of reality

… entertaining. Not conclusive

When the poll here closed:
  • only fifty-five people (around twelve percent of voters) found pre-release Yosemite to be the ugliest OS X ever
  • around fifty percent found it to be the prettiest ever.

A June 2014 topic 'Post all of your OS X Yosemite screenshots here!' began:

… :D Any screens ranging from all of the new settings, to the new apps.

More than six hundred posts later, a pertinent observation:

why is this thread misused to show off wallpapers?

Yes, some of the desktop backgrounds are loveable, but over four months only a handful of shots successfully showed how Yosemite might appear during normal use. Whilst discouraging carefree publication of screenshots (concerns: confidentiality, pre-release) I encouraged readers to be aware of the lack of realism. Not a complaint, just an observation.

So. Throughout the voting period, a nearby topic suggested a hugely distorted (and rose-tinted) perspective of what it might mean to 'look at' Yosemite.

Were the figures in this poll similarly distorted? Food for thought, that's all – I don't expect deep analysis. Keyword: entertaining :D

----

Looking ahead: I'm toying with the idea of a another poll. Again, focused on the appearance of the OS, but not limited to MacRumors forum members. Maybe in around three weeks, or whenever adoption of Yosemite appears to plateau. If I can be bothered to get this off the ground I'll work co-operatively with at least one other person with the aim of producing end results that may be of real use to Apple and/or third parties.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
[...] and to me the new look is an extension of that and enjoyable to play around with.

Exactly my point :)

----------

Actually nevermind. Here's one :

To me, this looks like a mess. You probably haven't noticed, but there are 3 windows in this screenshot.
The MOST important area of a window where the outline of the window should show that it's active (the top!), it just blends with all the windows that are behind. The drop shadow is too wide and too diffuse. Stupid choice Apple. Stupid choice.

Note that I had to turn off transparency, because Apple did the very stupid thing of making the "open application" dots black as well as the dock transparent, which means that the black dots are barely visible when using a black wallpaper.

Thanks for posting this Gallion. I'm still on Mavericks, and your screenshot finally shows me the overall GUI effect of Yosemite.

----------

[...] Looking ahead: I'm toying with the idea of a another poll. Again, focused on the appearance of the OS, but not limited to MacRumors forum members. Maybe in around three weeks, or whenever adoption of Yosemite appears to plateau. If I can be bothered to get this off the ground I'll work co-operatively with at least one other person with the aim of producing end results that may be of real use to Apple and/or third parties.

Bold plan grahamperrin. You sure put a lot of energy in this topic, I've enjoyed reading your comments a lot these past months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.