Poll: Mac Pro purchase, single 2.93GHz CPU or Dual 2.26GHz CPUs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rockout, Mar 30, 2009.

1. rockout macrumors newbie

There's only about a $200 difference between these two options that I have my list down to.

But now, I really don't know: what are the pros/cons of 1 CPU vs. 2 when the 1 CPU is significantly faster than the 2?

I don't use my desktop Mac for work, really.... I do some editing of amateur video with FCE, I use Photoshop extensively, but other than that, it's a lot of word processing, web surfing, etc...

I was also wondering if anyone knows about the effect on speed of 2 CPUs for Javascript-based apps.... those run really slowly on my current (ancient) PowerMac G5, and I have a couple of them that I use a lot.

Thanks!

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Most of the time if one thinks whether he needs certain upgrades or not, most likely he doesn't need them.

Sounds like you'll be happy with the base 2.66 GHz model, or 2.8x8 model from the last generation.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

In the vast majority of tasks the 2.9 quad will outperform the 2.2 octo. In many tests the 3.06 iMac outperformed the octo. This may or may not change with Snow Leopard, but if I was in your position I'd buy the quad. I'll reserve the right to change my mind when Snow Leopard comes out.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=3152&pagtype=allchandate&pn=1
    This compares the 2.66 quad to the 2.26 octo. The quad outperforms the octo significantly.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I agree with eXan that you'd probably be fine with the single quad core 2.66GHz. The performance increase of the 2.93GHz is minimal really.

It's likely that any issues you have with Javascript applications will not be related to processor speed on a 2009 Mac Pro. More the limitations of the language.

5. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I most tasks it really isn't.

7. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

yeah, sounds like you'd be fine with the 2.66Ghz single

multi-processors only become useful with things like rendering and heavy film editing.

pretty much all of other apps use 1 processor.

MY ADVICE
    but the single, max the ram and get the 4870 if you think you'll ever use it (may come in handy for snow leopard)