Poll: Mobile Me or .Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mykbibby, May 30, 2008.

?

Which Name is Better? MobileMe or .Mac?

1. MobileMe

10 vote(s)
    11.9%
  2. .Mac

74 vote(s)
    88.1%
  1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Welcome to My Freaking iLair

Attached Files:

2. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

.Mac sounds MUCH better.

Mobile Me is just bland. It's like FacePalm and Mybook, and whatever else all these other social outcast networks are called. Boring, bland and dull.

Stick with .Mac!

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

I also like the way .mac sounds and it is better description of the service if i was steve jobs i would keep it as .mac

4. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

.mac sounds so much better, if jobs renames it "Mobile Me" we'll all know that he has finally gone nuts.

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Definitely not liking the "Mobile Me" here. Unless .Mac is being upgraded with some sort of cloning device, that name just doesn't make sense.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I hate the name .mac - it says nothing about what the service actually is. This is purely from a sales perspective, the name alone makes it one of the most difficult things for us to sell on a day to day basis.

Mobile Me is not much better but it would at least give our customers an idea of what you get with the package - a mobile version of your stuff and if it has all the cool push data that's coming later next month then it'll sell much better than .mac does right now.

The price needs to come down too, loads of people are put off by the $139.95 per year. If it was say $70 per year it would fly off the shelves.

Bring on the rebranding, give it some cool as hell features and price it right. It could be such a killer product for Apple if given the right treatment.

7. Mykbibby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Seriously, the first thing I thought of when I heard that was Austin Powers (see picture). I hate MobileMe. It's so Web 2.0. Even iMobile would be fine, but using "Me" when everyone associates them with "i" is no good.

8. mr.light macrumors 6502

I voted for .mac but I really don't like either of them. Maybe another option? Anyway Mobile Me sounds very Microsoftish, if you know what I mean?

9. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

mac.com

Ditto.

If you're gonna put up a poll, how hard is it to think of more than two options?

Personally, I like the idea of using "mac.com"

It might seem boring, but it makes sense and plays on Apple's biggest brand.

10. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Why not go the whole hog and call it 'My Mobile'. :rolleyes:

11. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

why not 'Mobile Mac'?

I mean, with the inclusion of iPhone, thats what it sounds like!

12. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Oh gawd make it stop.

I associate "Me" with Windows ME, the worst OS of all time, and with the dreaded Mini Me character in the thoroughly unfunny Austin Power series. Very Microsoftish indeed.

My nightmares will now be filled with an evil dwarf clone of Steve Ballmer. He's talking backwards and dancing in front of a red curtain, but not to soft jazz music, instead this Microbaldmer-on-a-sugar-rush is dancing frantically like the creepy old guy in the 6 flags commercial, while yelling at the top of his lungs: "!!!YNAPMOC - THIS - EVOL - I :sdrow ruoF"

Do Apple really want to plant those images in my head?

13. qacjared macrumors regular

Mobile Me sounds like My Documents

and .mac sounds like .net

how bout Mekit?

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

mobile me sounds like it has absolutly no link to apple, as apposed to the rather stylish and simple name .mac

kinda sounds a bit like jumping on the social networking name bandwagon...

15. Matari macrumors member

Not mobile me

Horrible, horrible, horrible. Sounds naff.

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm with the people that think both names aren't so great... that said, .Mac sounds better than Mobile Me.

17. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

MobileMe sounds something from a cellphone provider or crap from Microsoft.

.Mac/@mac.com sounds and looks so much more professional yet I only use the service for email + web gallery and if they don't update it into something worth 100$ then I'll have to turn to Gmail.

18. MacHipster macrumors 6502

19. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The reason they can't call it .mac anymore is because they're going to be selling it to PC users.

Personally I think me.com is a pretty good domain name and they ought to just call it that.

20. big_malk macrumors 6502a

They should call it "AllYourDataAreBelongToUs". No?

I've never liked the name .mac much, but .me is worse. But I, and a lot of other people didn't like the name MacBook, but we got used to it. Although going from .mac to .me would be moving in the opposite direction. And .me is meaningless.

iTools would work, they should use that.

21. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

iTools was the old name for .Mac

22. krye macrumors 68000

krye

That's good.

Anyway, with the coming of 3G iPhones Apple is looking to extend .mac services to it. Since the vast majority of iPhone users are not Apple users, I can see why Apple would want to change .mac to something that doesn't sounds so "Apple". But "Mobile Me" sounds so cheesy.

23. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

unless it's going to be a 2 tier system , .Mac as the paid full service and Mobile Me as a free syncing service

.Mac will host websites store files and intergrate with 10.5 and Mobile me will support E-mail and Safari/iCal over the air and enable file storage over 3g (100 MB storage) for transfering Photo's and Video's created with iPhone for access from your Mac desktop like iDisk is already

24. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

I would like to see the @mac.com given free to all Mac users and all other benefits requiring pay.