poll: OWC or Crucial

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ikos, Jun 7, 2009.

?

which memory did you purchase?

1. OWC

24 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Crucial

27 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. ikos macrumors regular

trying to decide on which memory to purchase. OWC sells for $67.99 Crucial for $63.99 both for 4GB of ram for my MacBook 2.4GHz. (price is not an issue)

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I always by OWC. Way back when I first bought additional RAM for a Mac, OWC was less expensive than Crucial. Now, it all depends on the module.

OWC guarantees their RAM with a "no questions asked" return policy, just keep your receipt. Also, their "generic" RAM always passes Apple's RAM tests, some manufacturers don't.

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Yes PeggyD is right. I bought RAM from OWC and one of the sticks went bad. The only thing that they said to me was make sure I send back two sticks so I get a matching pair. I highly recommand OWC :D

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've always used Crucial. Good service and amazingly fast shipping. The best thing is, you can't buy wrong RAM. Prices depends about RAM you're buying and usually there's no huge difference

5. Vster macrumors 6502

Same. Bought Crucial for every mac I've owned in the last 6 years. Before then I just used the stock ram...ew.

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Just buy what ever is cheapest. Be sure to check out Newegg.

7. HBOC macrumors 68020

i bought crucial for my computer from fry's. it was pretty cheap too. Like $50

8. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I bought 4 gigs of Crucial RAM for my iMac, costed 1/2 of the upgrade from Apple; works great!

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I buy Crucial. Though admittedly, I like that they're local to me. Still, good RAM, good prices, fast shipping.

10. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I've used Crucial for my RAM needs for my old PC and my Mac and have always been satisfied with both quality and price.

11. ikos thread starter macrumors regular

is it true that you can use 6GB of ram for the MacBook 2.4GHz unibody? OWC says that it does support 6GB, but Apple says up to 4GB.

12. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Even

Well like I posted earlier, I like OWC but it would seem it don't matter which one you chose as they both have the users split evenly. 50/50

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I used to purchase Crucial because of the perceived quality, but for my Mac Pro, I bought from OWC because they were significantly cheaper and every bit as good. I've never thought, "Damn, I should have gone with the Crucial." To be honest, since installing it, I've never thought about my RAM at all, and isn't that what you want?

That and a cheap price is doubly good, and where OWC leaves Crucial behind.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

Never had a stick of OWC RAM go bad on me.

Currently running 16GB of it in my MP, 6GB of it in my MPB and 4 GB of it in my iMac at work.

15. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

I buy Crucial. Fast shipping, and never failed yet.

16. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I did have one go bad after three years. Replaced quickly without questions.

17. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Actually, Crucial is the retail arm of Micron Technologies; which is based in Idaho, and manufactures a large percentage of their products in the U.S. There is about a 1/3 chance that your Crucial memory module was 100% "Made in America". (They do have facilities in China as well.)

(I have no connection to Micron, other than having family and friends from the same city Micron is based in.)

At a previous job working at Intel, in the server validation and support department, we *ONLY* bought Micron memory. It used to be more expensive, but it was always worth it. Now it's the same price, so it's DEFINITELY worth it.

18. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

crucial. upgraded my MBP and the family's eMac... no problems at all.

19. ikos thread starter macrumors regular

I wonder if OWC and Crucial are going to be offering 8GB of ram for the new Macbook Pros?

20. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

21. ikos thread starter macrumors regular

just got 4GB OWC for $65.99 the price went down from $67.99. good deal!!

22. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

Yap. Well, I ordered the expensive Corsair 4GB kid for my new iMac. Oh well, I was willing to do it since I have had such an awesome win streak with Corsair ram in every one of my systems.