Poll: rMB lust - "need vs want"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by johngwheeler, Apr 20, 2015.

?

Poll: rMB purchase motivation: want or need?

Poll closed May 5, 2015.
  1. I love it and want it now! I don't need it, but I desire it.

37 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. This will be a second laptop computer. Not strictly necessary, but great to have

34 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. I really need a lightweight computer for work & travel (or this will be my only computer)

29 vote(s)
    25.2%
  4. I don't want or need it - it's too expensive, too weak or too small

15 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

Like most, I've been impressed by the rMB and definitely been "smitten" by its appearance and form factor. So much so, that I'm trying to find excuses to buy one.

However, my left-brain rational side is fighting back with logical arguments about already having an rMBP 15 and an iPad (albeit an old iPad 2) and a Mac Mini, and not really seeing a definite requirement for another computer.

I used to have an MBA 13 which was a fantastic travel and general purpose "go-to" laptop, but I was restricted by the 8GB memory limit for running multiple VMs, so somewhat reluctantly upgraded to the rMBP 15. This is a great machine, but definitely less portable when on the road.

I do miss the option of having a lightweight computer when the big guns aren't required, but my inner Mr. Spock tells me that it would be illogical to pay so much money, and that I should "man up" and carry that 15-incher.

So, I'm curious, how many of you are being led by the little devil on your right shoulder telling you to "give in and buy it! It's beautiful...what you've always wanted...", and the angel on your left saying "don't succumb to lust and greed! You should use your money for good...not to satisfy your Mac addiction" ?

2. Bleedcubbieblue macrumors newbie

A little of both. My only computer is my current MacBookPro 2009 that's chugging along but is slower handling Yosemite and lags little when I'm doing hospital charts on EMR. My experience with Macs has been that they last forever and the thing won't die!! Neither did my Powerbook G4 lasted 8 years and was still able to sell it.

Based on benchmark I was like well let's wait for the second generation...Until i got my paws on it after my Apple Watch try-on. It's beautiful and was way snappier than what I'm currently working with and I said take my money now!!

3. EnderTW macrumors 6502

It's definitely case by case. I'd definitely say trim down your computers before getting a new one as you'll have a lot of overlap.

I'll let you know, my use case is I have an iMac retina, return my iPad and sold my macbook pro retina (2013). Used it to purchase 1.2/512. My use case is portable dev machine (build externally on iMac) and ipad like bed time usage.

I wish Apple made a newstand app for OSX.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think there are two types of people. Those that need a dedicated hardcore computer (iMac/15" mac pro) and those that only need a laptop. I think both groups can utilize the rMB.

Having options really is a great thing. Hell, if the chromebook was made by apple, I think millions would have been sold right away.

5. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

This was a simple choice for me.

1. My main computer for the last five years has been the 11" MBA (three models).

2. I wanted a retina display so I could edit .raw files (photography). The MBA does not show color correctly.

3. I wanted a screen bigger than the 11", but I did not want the laptop size of the 13" MBA or the MBP.

4. I rarely use ports and even less in terms of charging and using a port at the same time.

Therefore, for me this laptop fits me perfectly. It gives me the HD screen I want, a larger screen size & resolution and the portability of my 11" MBA. Plus, the battery life is the same as my 11" MBA. This machine is not for everyone, and people need to realize this. The hubris of some to assume their needs and wants are the only option...is silly.

6. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

For me it was a simple gadget NEEDWANT situation.

Actually what I just needed was a small portable laptop for papers and research. The airs screen won't work so I'll have to spend more for retina.

7. PsychicRutabaga macrumors member

PsychicRutabaga

This is going to be my first Macintosh computer EVER. That in and of itself is pretty interesting, given that I still remember the days of Amiga vs Atari ST vs early Macintoshes (I was in the Amiga camp). But for me, this will be a new primary personal computer. I have beefier computers and servers for heavy lifting.

My former primary computer was an ASUS Eee Seashell series netbook (1015PE) with an Atom N450 processor and only 1GB of ram. That little netbook served me for over three years and I loved it. I could (and did) take it anywhere with me. It finally died about six weeks ago. I do also have a 4th gen iPad and use it extensively as well, but for creative writing and lightweight coding, a little clamshell netbook that could dual boot Windows 7 and Bodhi Linux (Ubuntu derivative) was ideal.

For my replacement, I was strongly leaning toward the Surface Pro 3 with plans to virtualize Ubuntu or Bodhi under Hyper-V. But this new Macbook intrigues me. Since it is already Unix under the hood, I won't need to dual boot or virtualize (I have other Windows systems). With my netbook, I almost never plugged anything other than the charger in, so lack of ports is fine. Clearly the Macbook has a much better processor and display than my old ASUS, and it is light enough to grab and go anywhere. And I already have a tablet (sorry Surface) and want a real keyboard. So for me, it looks like a great little replacement.

8. johngwheeler thread starter macrumors 6502

It sounds like you fall firmly in the "need this for work" category. You are at a natural point to upgrade (after 3 years use), and you are already happy with the small 11" footprint. Everyone's needs are and wants are of course different - I wasn't trying to suggest that the rMB is a great option for everyone.

I'm interested in how many people find their buying decision swayed by an emotional reaction to the product, which let's face it, Apple tends to encourage by their design and marketing!

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

What about people who:
    • only want a single computer but a decent amount of power
    • like the big screen/ports/power of an iMac but are fine with an iPad or iphone for mobile use
    • want the power/size of a 15" rMBP and don't mind carrying the 4.5 lbs
    • only need a laptop but see better values from the air or 13" pro

10. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I love everything about it but there are 2 cons that are deal breakers

1) Weak processor makes it somewhat sluggish relative to MBPr

2) No ports

Everything else about this new MB is just BUTTER

11. lch6257 macrumors member

I found that once I got my rMB 1.1/256 I have no desire to use my 2013 rMBP any more. It is a really great machine to use. It does everything and is plenty snappy for my needs!

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I upgrade my Mac whenever I feel it will help make more productive. Going from the 13" rMBP to the 12" rMB will definitely do that. No need to justify it. Could I stick with my rMBP and enjoy it? Yes, but my Mac is my workhorse...so I'd like to work on the machine that I prefer.

13. ohenriquez macrumors member

ohenriquez

Haha very nice post as it reflects what is going on with me
    I have a MBPr 15 inches 16 GB RAM as a "secondary machine" and my main machine is iMac retina
    My wife told me that buying MB would be ridiculous unless I sell my high end MPBr 15 and that this would be absurd
    I don't feel the weight and it is amazing when I have office application and browser next to each other
    I go to work everyday with my mac but as I drive to work, no problem
    I flight once or twice per year, so no frequent traveller
    I will see how can I buy the nice MB as it is a very nice looking piece of equipment

14. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

60% need, 40% want. I have a 15" 2006 MBP which is working fine. But it is *huge* by portable standards, and the battery is more or less dead. And it can only run Lion, so no iCloud goodies in most cases.

But as long as the rev. B retina Macbook is as fast as the my MBP, then I will be satisfied (Which I am sure it will surpass easily). It will only be used for email, browsing, writing, spreadsheets and presentations - Everything an academic needs. :D Thus, the one USB port will also suit me just fine - Contrary to what 80% of Macrumors' user base seem to think ("Oh my gawd, no one can live with only one port!11!1").

15. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I run Windows 7 Pro via bootcamp and retina sucks while in Windows.:eek:

Before you people tell me to reduce my resolution, I have and it looks horrible. My 2014 loaded MBA 13 without retina is awesome!:apple:

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The retina display causes lag on both the macbook and 13" pro.

17. Dubba macrumors regular

My mid-2011 13MBA has been a good workhorse... but I am running out of space on the 256SSD, AND need something to replace it... I was waiting for a refresh of the MBAs, but the lack of a Retina screen + all the new tech (ForceTouch + Keyboard) made the 12MB a no brainer. I am getting the 512 in Space Gray, and it will be my only machine!

18. Skylitfly, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015

Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Well... I do need a laptop. And I do want ultraportable laptop for conviniency and to save my shoulders.

But after tough thinking I've come to an decision that I'll survive one more year with my 15" rMBP and get the second gen rMB. I hope that all the small details and errors are ironed out by then and maybe we will even see small improvements to power and battery life.

In the mean time I'll be getting an :apple:Watch and change my iPad Air to iPad Mini 4 when it's released. ;)

19. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Definitely a want over a need for me. I have a 15" rMBP that has more performance than I'll ever need, but I do like the idea of having something super light and portable.

20. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

I plan to have one as an iPad replacement- light browsing and local music playback, document work, and taking with me out to meetings and stuff and also on vacation.

21. johngwheeler thread starter macrumors 6502

Probably going towait until version 2

This. I'm in the same posiion. Definitely want rather than need. I may upgrade my iPad this year, which is something I would probably do at some point even if I did buy a rMB. After considering whether the rMB could remove the use case for an iPad, I've come to the conclusion that each device has its place, and would like to keep both. This means one upgrade a year for me in most cases. I'm also going to pass on the Apple Watch this year.

22. rekhyt macrumors 65816

How's performance for the photo-editing?

23. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Like most of my tech purchases, I tend to buy at the want stage rather than the need stage. I'm often an early adopter, and part of my job is keeping up on the leading edge. Most of the time that works out, but sometimes only in the sense of learning what NOT to do.

I pre=ordered the original MBA and loved it even with all its quirks. Its gotten much better over the years. I expect the rMB will have some rough edges and evolve quickly in its first few years. But its a showcase of all new tech so its hard to pass up even if just for evaluating each piece of that tech to get a glimpse into the probabilities of the future.

While I was hoping for a MBA with retina display, this is a much bolder riskier play by Apple. I see enough promise that I'm wiling to put up with some quirks to learn. And I think the rMB will be an adequate replacement for my 11" 2013 MBA. So I placed a BTO order and we'll see how it works out in the coming weeks.