Poll: Safari 4 Overall Experience

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i.shaun, Jun 20, 2009.

?

Safari 4 - good or bad?

1. Great! - i love it!

43 vote(s)
    84.3%
  2. Bad! - I wish I had Safari 3 back!

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Software update came up, and guess what's in there. . java update for 10.4, and Safari 4.

I see a bunch of threads on here about issues with Safari 4, and I'm just wondering if it's worth updating. Does everyone experience problems with it?

What's your overall experience with it?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Safari 4 itself is nice.

However, it broke some work related web sites so I have to go back to Safari 3. Bummer.

3. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I have found that everything runs fast, really fast on Safari 4. I haven't had any problems at all.:D

4. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

well it's nice to see some positive feedback. I'm just afraid I'll switch and have constant crashes, pages not loading, and whatever else people suffer from.

5. tallguy macrumors regular

I've never had a problem and I love the speed. You should switch and just not worry about it.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The biggest issue I have is the lack of the address bar turning blue as pages load. I click links then find myself clicking them a second time because it doesn't look like anything's happening.

7. tallguy macrumors regular

It's so fast I don't have time for a second click ha. I think the loading bar at the top though gives some reassurance that something is happening.

8. veterator macrumors member

veterator

Needs more cowbell! :cool:

Seriously, I miss the old progress indicator in the address bar. Maybe a mixture between the two.

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I like it but it broke Growl Mail.

EDIT: Just checked and they've updated Growl to fix this. So all is well. :)

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

As I mentioned above, I liked Safari 4 but it broke some work related web sites.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to revert to Safari 3.

What I would recommend, before upgrading to Safari 4, is to make a clone of your HD using Carbon Copy Cloner (or Super Duper). Upgrade to Safari 4. Test you critical web sites. If it doesn't work, then reverse clone from the back up.

11. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I enjoy it. Love the speed and ease

I still prefer Firefox though

12. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

I like the Safari 4 Beta interface much more than the released final version. In fact, I'm sticking with the beta for now (among other things, the title-bar tabs are sweet). I definitely think the "Loading" bar in the final version is tacky.

In all versions of Safari 4, I find myself missing the "snap back" feature.

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes there is. Download the 3.2.3 update from Apple, install with Pacifist, and restart the computer. Worked perfectly on my iBook.

Personally, I couldn't care less. Safari 4's extra gimmicks don't do much for me. My only complaint is that it broke Sogudi, but Keywurl added support after a few days, and for Tiger to boot. Still, kinda underwhelmed.

14. i.shaun thread starter macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Well I went and did it, I got safari 4. . .

So far it doesn't seem too bad, tabs are still where they usually are, I had the impression they would be on top. I don't really like the new loading indicator, they should have just kept the simple blue progress bar, or some type of indicator in the corner.

"Top Sites" looks cool, almost makes my custom home page made in iWeb look dumb. I don't have a refresh button anymore though. They took it away, it's not even in the toolbar customization menu.

15. sananda macrumors 68020

I don't seem to get the star with a blue background in Top Sites. Otherwise, it seems fine.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I may give it a try.

FYI, I was able to uninstall Safari 4 and install Safari 3. However, the web sites that I need to access for work did not render as they had before. The Safari 4 installation obviously changed something that was not reset with the installation of Safari 3.

Maybe this technique will have a different result.

17. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

No usability issues here, have been using it since the beta first came out and it works with all the sites i visit.

If I could find a way of getting the loading progress bar back and be able to place the stop/refresh button back to where they where it would be even better.

Hate cover flow in general so would like to disable this, but dragging the slider up so it doesn't show is a reasonable solution.

Top site I don't use as it marks forums as read even if you don't actually go to the site (this might be fixed in the final version, i haven't tested)

18. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It's not a button anymore, it's all the way to the right inside the URL field. BTW, that's also how you stop loading a page. When it's loading, the reload turns into a stop.

19. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

The star with a blue background indicates the web page has been updated since you last visited it.
    I love Safari 4. No issues for me and Top Sites is great!

20. keekl macrumors regular

keekl

Safari 4.0.1 available~~get 'em while they're hot:cool:

21. sananda macrumors 68020

I probably didn't express myself well! I know what the star means, but I never see that symbol displayed. So, it doesn't seem to be working for me.

22. Cousin Dirk macrumors 6502a

I love the speed of Safari 4, and secretly prefer the tabs being back where they should be. I hated only having a little corner of the tab to click on to move the tab, the amount of times I ended up dragging the entire window away...

That said, I still click on some direct App Store links that freeze it completely. I don't even get the spinning beach ball.

23. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Oops, sorry for the misinterpretation.
    Try putting a news site like USA Today, CNN, or BBC on your Top Sites. News sites get updated a lot so the star should be on them. There is one site I go to with a lot of forums that get updated, but the opening page never does, so it never has a star even though the forums inside have new messages.