POLL: Safari 4 tabs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cube, Mar 14, 2009.

?

What do you think of Safari 4's tabs?

1. Hate it

42 vote(s)
    37.8%
  2. Prefer this new way

45 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. I don't care

24 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. cube macrumors G5

2. Agurri macrumors 6502

Agurri

I prefer the old style tab.... I think it's clearer the old way.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I prefer tabs on top but with apple's implementation as it currently stands they have had to change a lot of functionality and to be honest I feel it a good start but just that. Needs reworking.

4. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Moving and bringing windows to the front is a hassle with the new style.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

top or below is not a problem, just need to improve the implementation.

6. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I like it on the top, however the dragging tabs is a pain, the close button is on the wrong side? and sometimes when you want to drag the window you open a tab etc.

I love safari 4, except i HATE THE LOADING BAR!

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

agreed, targeted clicking should NOT be required more and more, its the backward development.

8. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I don't mind it but I hate the implementation. It breaks a few fundamental design rules of osx, draggable area is too small, too difficult to drag a link to the right area of the plus symbol and it just looks plain sloppy. Google has a far better implementation and I can't even stand chrome. Another thing that surprised me is that even though safari is faster, they still have not decreased the memory footprint. Btw where are my iTunes scrollbars!

You can tell they'll do the same thing with the finder when all is said and done. I just hope they perfect the interface by the time snow leopard is released.

The best description so far is on daring fireball. Gruber nailed it right on the head.

9. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

With a few tweaks to it, I'd prefer it so I didn't vote as hate is too strong a word.

It needs the tweaks listed above but I also think the active tab should be highlighted in some way (coloring the frame perhaps).

10. Loccy macrumors member

Am I the only one who doesn't use tabs? Don't get the point, never used them on any OS, and particularly don't get the point on an OS with a feature like Expose.

11. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

When i downloaded the beta, I used new tabs for an hour then gave up and went back to old style.
    After a couple of days I switched back to new, since then I haven't gone back to old again. It's just a matter of getting used to it.

Was just gonna ask how to drag tabs but I just noticed the little thing in the top right of each tab to do it.

12. That-Is-Bull macrumors 6502

That-Is-Bull

I love them on top, but it'd be ridiculously awesome if Apple added an option (or if somebody made an addon) that removes the close/move buttons on tabs and instead lets you middle-click to close and middle-drag to move.

13. danb77 macrumors 6502

Glims achieves this - to an extent. Favicons replace the close icons and middle-click close is an option.

Why not write to the authors to suggest the other things. Those guys are very receptive to input.

14. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

I didn't like them on top, so I moved them back to the bottom. :)

15. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

What is the point of tabs in general, especially that tabs do not work with Expose?

16. Hanii Puppy macrumors newbie

Bleh, I hate the new tabs. Fortunately, I'm using the old tabs and toolbar in safari thanks to Terminal :p

17. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

You don't find it easier to look at the tabs and click on the one you want without using Expose? :confused:

18. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I like Safari 3 but with Safari 4's topsites feature.

I don't like the Google Chrome-style tabs.

19. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

All you have to do is put a few codes in terminal. I did, and its looks exactly like Safari 3.

I really don't care though.

20. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Actually, no, I do not. I use a dedicated mouse button for Expose and all I need to do to switch windows in Safari is to the button and move the mouse ever so slightly.

Maybe it is just me, but I find Expose and Command-~ to be the two most useful means of switching between Safari windows. Neither of these works for switching between tabs, where you actually have to move the mouse all the way to the top of the screen, which is much less convenient for me...

21. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

I prefer tabs under the address bar. And what happened to the loading bar? And I haven't installed it on Mac but I've tried it in Windows XP.

22. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

23. dws90 macrumors regular

I prefer the on the bottom.

Besides the "looks cool" part, I can't think of any practical reason to have the tabs on the top. All it does is make the tabs farther away when you want to click on them.

24. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

I don't really care either way. But I like Google Chrome's implementation.

25. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Well, we don't know what the final version will look like. I would prefer if Apple included an option to have the tabs on top or at the bottom.