Poll: San Francisco font vs. Helvetica Neue (pre-iOS 9)?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by vertsix, Sep 21, 2015.

?

San Francisco or Helvetica Neue?

1. San Francisco

61.1%
  2. Helvetica Neue

14.2%
  3. I think both are fine.

24.8%
  1. vertsix, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015

vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

Curious as to opinions on San Francisco.

I was obsessed with it for a while.

But I thought Helvetica Neue is a lot more stylish, simple, efficient, and less obstrusive after a while.

What do you guys think?

2. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

SF was really weird in the beginning, but I've gotten used to it.

Helv is a better font in general but SF looks better on the UI.

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

San Francisco has grown on me completely. Going back to Helvetica feels almost as weird as going back to Veranda from Helvetica.

4. hunt2013 macrumors regular

Defiantly one of their better design choices. Looks very clean and fresh.

5. vertsix thread starter macrumors 65816

vertsix

But most rich text content on Safari, text in some apps and in the App Store is mostly Helvetica. It's a little inconsistent if you ask me.

Nevertheless, San Francisco is still a pretty good font.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Either one works, but I'm kind of used to SF now.

7. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Reading is far better on
    Helvetica Neue

But for UI,
    San Francisco looks better.

I say both are good.

8. Cehus macrumors newbie

San Francisco is definitely better. Helvetica Neue was always just a bad interims solution for the iOS 7 redesign.

Although, as a typographer who worked close to industrial designers at university, i wasn’t really surprised Jony Ives Team chose Helvetica, because most Industrial Designers know only a handful of fonts and default to Helvetica because it looks reasonably timeless and neutral to them. It’s really reassuring about Apples design team that they took the multiyear-path of developing their own modern font-family fit for the purpose. I think Erik Spiekermann really did have a little influence on Jony Ive to get SF ready and into the system so soon. Besides the fact that it would have been really hard to get Helvetica Neue working on the Apple watch at small, glanceable font sizes.

9. KALLT macrumors 601

Even SF Compact (Watch) and SF (OS X/iOS) are noticeably different. When you change Helvetica that much so that it works well on smaller screens, you are changing the character of the typeface itself. Helvetica was never meant to be a multipurpose UI typeface. It’s been misused, just like Verdana is (which really shines at small sizes).

10. Cehus macrumors newbie

Exactly. Good fonts have lots of different cuts (not sure if this is the correct english translation) for different purposes. Apple did a very good job with the different sizes of SF, instead of just scaling the glyphs.

11. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

I voted for San Francisco, but I really think both are just fine.

San Francisco looks just different enough to freshen up the interface and make it a bit more readable. It's really a gorgeous experience, the numbers look sharp too.

12. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

13. Tamagotchi macrumors 6502

Tamagotchi

Helvetica, however I understand why SF is getting more votes. It's the novelty atm so people aren't tired of it.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Certainly not the only reason.

15. newellj macrumors 601

Indifferent on my mobile devices. I care more about it on OS X machines, where I'd vote for Helvetica.

16. witherwings macrumors member

witherwings

Helvetica Neue has more class, style, refinement. However, for reading definitely San Francisco because is more spaced between each letter. But lacks of some design, class. The € symbol in San Francisco looks weird.

17. Diego F. macrumors newbie

I have the same opinion about the previous font. This one may be easier to read as there is more space in between letters, but the previous is way more stylish. I think it's a matter of time anyway. It's not a Comis Sans :-D

18. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

When it comes down to it: ease of reading > stylishness. Especially on such small devices.

And frankly, I believe that Apple has created a font that encompasses both.

19. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I don't like how "blocky" SF looks compared to Helvetica. It doesn't look horrible but they could have made some subtle changes to make it look more distinct from Roboto

20. vertsix thread starter macrumors 65816

vertsix

Helvetica is just better for reading content I suppose.

21. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

22. greytux macrumors member

I like it visually and it is also one of the most intelligently designed fonts ever for digital rendering. Take a look at the 2015 WWDC talk "Introducing the new system font".

2015-09-23 15_43_06-804_introducing_the_new_system_fonts.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.png