POLL: Security Update 2007-006 safe to install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by netdog, Jun 23, 2007.

?

Problems since installing Security Update 2007-006?

1. No problems after installation - Intel

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. No problems after installation - PPC

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. Problems caused by installation - Intel

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Problems caused by installation - PPC

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

How about reports on how the installation of Security Update 2007-006 has gone. Problems afterward? Please simply list any issues here and discuss them in another thread.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I would think that it's safer to install the Security Update than to not do so.

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I would too, but problems do get reported. This just seems like a good way to quantify it for people (including for me).

4. iShak macrumors 6502

after 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 ... I am not even going near that 'Software Update ..."

bought my first mac in jan 2007, did .9 update .. got a brick, did this .10 update ... now i've got a party popper .. still I love this ..

5. dasphli macrumors newbie

I've had no problems with anything i've installed from Apple apart from Safari 3 which caused some of widgets not to function properly.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Your Mac should be kept up to date, when possible. Generally a system update wrecking your system is signs of either a third party component (software or hardware) not co-operating or impending hardware failure. If it's the latter then the guilty suspect should be fixed or replaced. Before applying an update, it's sometimes a good idea to quickly repair permissions and verify the drive in Disk Utility. Even though this won't guaranty a "safe" update, it may prevent a system update from crippling your system. :)

For what it's worth, a well maintained system will very rarely fail as a result of a system update.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. iDavidLeeRoth macrumors regular

9. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. All working fine here on a original Macbook.

10. stefano.daglio macrumors newbie

problem after installing security update 2007-006

hi
    my friend had installed security update 2007-006 on her Mini..
    after that she had problems logging in with any users..
    In order to get logged in I had to recovery passwd via OSX installer.
    Anyway at the next reboot the problems are back again..

Is that normal? (rethorical question)

More than not to install that update on my MacBook what can I do to help her?

thank you very much

stefano

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There's one other thread on the topic here....

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=318242&highlight=login+password+security+update+10.4.10

But it doesn't explain a cause or solution.

EDIT: I've done my iBook, and no apparent problems as of yet. I do note that... ironically, since part of this update is supposed to be web activity taking Safari / Webkit down, that bad calls to the DivX Web Player still take down Safari 2 completely (i.e. this or one of the other videos on that website appear to intermittently either not work properly in Safari 2, but fine in Firefox 2, or else cause Safari to unexpectedly quit).

12. macnoob912 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Just joined today because I am looking for help after i've done this update along with the MAC OS X Intel update.

My issue is that after the update, I am no longer able to connect to my wireless network. It was working before the update. The wireless network security is set to a WPA encryption. Where it shows i have a signal but no internet activity. Pinging google.com took an avgerage fo 30ms other websites were a hit or miss. I've even went as far as setting my wireless to a WEP security, where it was saying network connection error. But when I turn off all security, the wireless works fine. A stright connection using cat5 cable to the router works fine as well.

I did the update yesterday in the afternoon and have been looking for a solution since. So i thought i put in my 2cents/issues.

Help/Suggestions is welcomed.

13. helpmeplease macrumors newbie

Same trouble as you with security update.

Have you found a solution yet?:confused:

14. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

No problems at all. Everything working fine and smoothly.

15. Edwin the Elder macrumors member

no upgradeable device found

I installed the latest updates on my G5 iMac and my MacBook. No problems on the iMac. On my MacBook the update did an upgarde on my SuperDrive.

Since then, every time I boot, I get an error message "no upgradeable device found." I hit "quit" and everything is fine. But it's annoying.

Any suggestions?