Poll: So what's your opinion on Screen Protectors?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by neoelectronaut, Oct 28, 2010.

?

Do You Use a Screen Protector?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Got my Black iPhone 4 last night after the possibility of owning a White model before November 11th fell through. I bought a PixelSkinHD Case as it's the only one I saw at The Apple Store that I liked. (I eventually want a Candyshell)

The case itself is nice. Thin, protects the back and sides against scratching and minor bumps, though I don't think it'd save the phone from a serious drop..

But all I can think about now is that even though the sides and back are protected, the front, obviously the most important side, is open to all sorts of damage. Historically I've had mixed experiences with screen protectors. The official brand I bought for my PSP Go went on great and fit well, as did the Hori brand I bought for my DS Lite 4 years ago. However, after trying half a dozen brands for my PSP-3000 I haven't had a whole lot of luck finding something that looked good and fit well.

Screen protectors seem to be a hotly debated topic in most message boards/forums, so I was wondering what everyone's general opinion was before I look into them.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It just depends on your lifestyle and how hard you are on your stuff. I used to always carry a naked iPhone until this year when I started at the gym. So now I have a case that clips onto an armband so I can listen to music and have my phone with me while I exercise. If it wasn't for the gym, I'd still have a naked iPhone. I am quite good at taking care of my things and I am always watching for potential threats i.e. liquids nearby the computers etc...

3. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

ive been using the power support crystal on my ipod touch 2g since day one and has not failed me yet. this led me to getting the crystal front/back for my ip4 and its amazing. the cut of the screen protector lays very well w/ the phone, both front and back. does not take away the clarity of the retina display at all.

im actually using a pixelskin hd as well. and both seem to fit together very well.

BTW did u know that you can still get a free case from apple? the app is still in the app store!

4. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I do know that the free case program seems to be active but I feel kinda bad since it says if you're having reception issues. I'm not so I kind of feel like I'm cheating the system.

Edit: The Apple Store had the Power Support Anti-Glare Screen Protector. Almost bought it.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The case aside, I do not and have never used a screen protector. I have a friend who does use one. I think it's 6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. For, it is a useless accessory. But to another who may be more prone to scratching a screen, it may be a valuable accessory.

It's up to you to evaluate how you use it and if it's worth it or not. Either way, I think they're only a few dollars.

6. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Well, ordered the 2-pack of Power Support crystal screen protectors this morning anyway. Debating on getting the set with the back cover as well. Here's hoping installation goes well, because I'm almost starting to turn into a nervous wreck, less than 24 hours later, that I'm gonna scratch the damn thing.

7. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

sweet! i guess it doesnt really matter if u get the back one or not since you wont be having your phone naked. but i just got it cuz im OCD about that kind of stuff.

the installation is very simple, just make sure ur in an area where there is little to no dust circling around. oh and have some scotch tape in handy, it'll help you out alot during the installation process to lift up the screen protector. that way you wont use your fingers and accidentally get your prints on them.

8. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Oh yeah I've installed screen protectors before so I'm very familiar with the shower trick and what not.

Here's hoping nothing happens between now and the 3-5 days that it takes for them to arrive. :(

Edit: I may end up buying the back skin in the future for the hell of it.

9. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I just recently removed the Powersupport Anti-Glare from my i4 a couple of nights ago. I couldn't deal with the screen being blurry like I thought I would be able to do. I carry my phone in a Otterbox Defender and I'm good with just that.

10. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

I never used a screen protector on my original 1st gen iPhone, no scratches.

I didn't use one on my 3G, but then got a tiny hairline scratch that I could totally feel with my fingernail, and other fine scratches wasn't easy to see but it was definitely there. These tiny scratches could be seen in direct sunlight. Bugged the heck out of me.

First day I got the iPhone 4, I put a screen protector on it. I used one of those cheap ones I got on sale for $1.28, which actually to me is the exact same quality of the Power Support screen protector. I am surprised Power support gets away with charging so much.

The screen protector is crystal clear, feels exactly the same as a naked screen, no rainbows, no bubbling, easy to apply as it has 2 different front and back layers that you peel away seperately when applying the screen protector.

I am all for screen protectors that don't take away from the look or feel of a naked iphone. It's nice to know the screen is scratch free underneath the clear protector, that I don't even realize is there.

Looked at the Zagg, awful. Looked at the anti glare, awful.

11. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Urgh. Thinking I might go back to The Apple Store and pick up one of the anti-glare screen protectors to use in the interim between now and when the crystal one arrives in the mail.

12. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

I used to use a Power Support front + back crystal set. They were great but I'm weird about feel and the glass STILL feels better than high quality screen shields. The oleophobic glass is a pleasure to use and it cleans itself going in and out of my pocket.

Screen shields LOVE fingerprints and the anti-glares make the retina display look like the previous 3GS screen.

I think naked is the way to go. Its scratch resistant enough for everyday use and it's just not worth it being so anal about a screen. Everyone mostly upgrades every 1-2 years so there's no point. Just enjoy that display and it's how Apple would want everyone to see it. Nothin but glass :D

13. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

I just feel that the mere act of taking it in and out of my pocket is going to scratch the damn thing. I've seen what my PSP looks like after usage, even in a case, and it frightens me that it's going to happen to the $300 piece of electronics I just bought.

14. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

The PSP has a plastic screen. It'll scratch by just breathing on it lol! You dont have to worry about the iPhone's glass screen unless your pockets are full of diamonds or you literally live on the beach.