POLL: SSD options for 2012 imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cypress822, Jun 27, 2012.

?

What SSD options will be available on 2012 iMac--multiple answers OK!

1. No standard SSD, only optional SSD

25 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. Standard 256GB SSD

30 vote(s)
    44.8%
  3. Standard 500GB SSD

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Optional 256GB SSD

24 vote(s)
    35.8%
  5. Optional 500GB SSD

31 vote(s)
    46.3%
  1. cypress822 macrumors regular

2. Angelis macrumors newbie

I think at least the high-end model of the iMac should get 500GB SSD as standard, seeing as the RMBP manages to do it.

3. New Apple macrumors regular

i think the basic will have

-Small SSD Capacity (so that you might want to spend more money on larger model)

or

-Hybrid solution

big SSDs in the high end models (maybe 1, double at bloody price)

4. cypress822 thread starter macrumors regular

hope we get more replies to the poll...seems like a close pole so far....

5. LaWally macrumors 6502a

You don't list it as an option, but I'm half-expecting to see the 786GB SSD as an option too. It costs Apple nothing to offer the option. I also expect to see a dual SSD option as well. This has been an option (albeit a pricy one) on the Mac mini server for over a year.

But like everything else we speculate on, we'll see.

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I would expect this as well.

7. iTnetennba macrumors newbie

21.5-inch lower end: No SSD at all
    21.5-inch higher end: 256GB SSD option
    27-inch lower end: 512GB SSD option
    27-inch higher end: either a 256GB or 512GB SSD standard with option of 768GB.

Just my guess, I hope they do this too as I want SSD standard in the higher end 27" model.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Still pretty close. I'm hoping for small SSD as standard in all models and options on high end. Let's hope we find out soon. I'm getting tired of stealing the wife's iPad to check out this site. I can't bring myself to use the PC anymore. It's depressing.

9. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Apple needs to deliver the goods to keep their desktops attractive. HDD, though voluminous, are simply outpaced by the speeds of today's SSD's.

I really hope Apple puts 64-128GB SSD into the iMac for OS X and performance related applications, with a 500GB to 2TB HDD installed for media and content.

Best. iMac. Ever.

10. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I'm thinking SSD is BTO-only at 21.5", and 256GB standard in 27" (probably in addition to the 1 TB HDD).

11. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that was my thought as well.

12. RedCroissant Suspended

I think a SSD is a great possibility and perhaps they will be getting rid of the ODD to make it thinner. I wold like to see Apple use the stand and base for the ODD in order to make the display thinner. That would be cool.

13. mojothemonkey, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

mojothemonkey macrumors regular

WHO CARES?

Whatever it is, just look up a good, competitive price for a upper-midrange hard drive of a particular size, and TRIPLE it. That's what the option will cost when you customize & buy.

edit - oh I'm sorry. Apple has never gouged its customers on memory pricing. (sarcasm)

14. cypress822 thread starter macrumors regular

looks like there is a decent percentage expecting a standard ssd on the 2012---that is the one reason I'm waiting for 2012---but not waiting too much longer!

15. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Judging by Apples prices on a 512 when customising I'd rather they had a standard platter disk as opposed to SSD.

Even though the prices for SSD drives have just halved (See Kingston 128GB for £58 now)

16. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

But that's a poor comparison. They're much closer to "fair" on standard pricing.. they just overcharge you to pop it open and change it.

17. Hairlesswookiee macrumors member

No option for a smaller SSD? I could manage with 128gb as long as the secondary one was at least 2tb or so. It would also be great if Apple would make it so upgrading the hard drive was at least somewhat user friendly.

18. iTnetennba macrumors newbie

You just don't understand... :p

19. mojothemonkey macrumors regular

I'll give you that. While it's true that they grossly overcharge for HD upgrades, the true criminal gouging comes into play with RAM. For so long you were paying HUNDREDS of dollars extra to go from 2 to 8 gigs of ram, when a DIMM of high quality, low latency RAM would cost you under $60.

20. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

The current iMac offers a 256 megabyte SSD option for $500, and that's without including a "rotating" terabyte hard drive.

That $500 is twice what name-brand SSD's are selling for at retail.

That's a pretty stiff premium. :eek:

21. mojothemonkey macrumors regular

Yes I do understand. I'm waiting for one of these suckers right now and cringing at the thought of being TEMPTED to upgrade the RAM and HD through Apple.

Frankly, I know my way around the inside of a computer, but just dont want to void a warranty. A thunderbolt SSD might be a solution, but after you pay for the cable and enclosure, you're already closing in on Apple built-in prices.

I think I may open and tinker - if some moron at the apple store can do it, I'm certain that I can. Besides, there are a few very particular drives that I would like installed that will mean a world of difference, beyond the generic, bulk drives that they are certain to use. The latest Samsung 256SSD, for example.

If the specs come out and they are MORE reasonable than in the past, and they use something legit (crossing fingers), they may yet get my upgrade money.

Now hurry up and get those 680m's installed, Apple!

22. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

They haven't changed that pricing since the 2011 iMac launched.. when that was a mere 30-50% over retail.

23. cypress822 thread starter macrumors regular

I think the problem is people trying to install it in their own computer--some say its very easy, but when i saw the video, i would never do it on my own.

24. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it is a question of installing it on your own to save half the price Apple charges. Apple installs its components on an open framework on a Chinese assembly line, and putting an SSD in the "case" is no more difficult than putting in any other component. Further, Apple is simply buying its SSD components and is paying far less than the retail of about $250 for those drives.

A $300 premium at current SSD prices would be reasonable, I suppose. $500 is a rip.

25. mojothemonkey macrumors regular

Lets not forget that the SSDs that apple has been installing these last few years are just garbage. So don't do a price comparison to a good model that you'll find on Newegg, with fancy new controllers and SATA III; the backwater stuff is much cheaper.