Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you like the new Mac Pro 2019

• Total voters

th0masp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2015
It's very utilitarian looking for sure. I feel no gadget-urge with this thing.

About as sexy as a caterpillar when you're out looking for a new ride.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
It's not my ideal aesthetic, but I'm still voting yes. It's another bold Mac Pro design from Apple, this time much more industrial and functional. The vent holes are there to help keep this beast cool.

Reactions: tevion5

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
The design is weird, but certainly not bad. I'd really, really like it, if it were reasonably priced. Unfortunately it isn't anywhere close to that.

Reactions: mrxak

LK LAW

macrumors regular
May 30, 2016
Where do I put my hard drives in that thing? Also, 6000 dollars starting price, fuuuck me.
Internal storage for the files that need super fast IO, 10 Gbit NAS for the rest.
This machine is not meant for you and I, it's meant for people that make a living and time is money (a lot of money).
[doublepost=1559597106][/doublepost]
What are you talking about? PCI 4.0 is only barely coming out now, with the latest Ryzens.
Yeah PCIe 5 specc just finished, will take at leat 2 years to reach platforms.
99% this is PCIe 3 though, if that's the intel w3175x. And intel always waits a while before they add new features to their server and HEDT platforms

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
Looks better inside than outside if you ask me. Overall a win, but that pricing is a deterrent. When will these be like the 4,1s on Craigslist :p

Reactions: ssgbryan

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
99% this is PCIe 3 though, if that's the intel w3175x. And intel always waits a while before they add new features to their server and HEDT platforms
PCIe 4 is coming out for Intel's server line beginning with Sapphire Rapids in 2022 or 2021. It'll be a while before either AMD or Intel adopt PCIe 5.

LK LAW

macrumors regular
May 30, 2016
PCIe 4 is coming out for Intel's server line beginning with Sapphire Rapids in 2022 or 2021. It'll be a while before either AMD or Intel adopt PCIe 5.
There you go, everyone's answer on PCIe
[doublepost=1559597354][/doublepost]Also, this is the ultimate motivation as to why ARM powered macs are BS, Apple won't ever put the RnD into developing a 28core+ ARM chip. And I doubt they would maintain macOS on two different ARCHes

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
There you go, everyone's answer on PCIe
TBH, AMD did themselves a massive favor. Though my curiosity was piqued. Was anyone saturating 100% bandwidth on PCIe3 on higher end boards? I don't read computer forums as much as I used to, but the aforementioned comes up from time to time when people discuss PCIe tech in relation to SATA.

Reactions: Flint Ironstag

LK LAW

macrumors regular
May 30, 2016
TBH, AMD did themselves a massive favor. Though my curiosity was piqued. Was anyone saturating 100% bandwidth on PCIe3 on higher end boards? I don't read computer forums as much as I used to, but the aforementioned comes up from time to time when people discuss PCIe tech in relation to SATA.
For GPUs it's not that necessary unless very specific workloads. For SSDs the jump is very welcome as all SSDs were maxing out their x4 link. though my guess is apple will just RAID a few together.
(PCIe 4 SSDs need fans because they run so hot now)

alphacen

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2016
Jony Ive was clearly on vacation when they designed this thing and the monitor.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I think it looks really ugly. But I cannot disagree with their statements that it's function over all else. It's clearly going to be incredibly functional in every way imaginable.

The pricing is very out of whack as usual with Apples high end stuff so I won't say more than that on the price.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
For GPUs it's not that necessary unless very specific workloads. For SSDs the jump is very welcome as all SSDs were maxing out their x4 link. though my guess is apple will just RAID a few together.
(PCIe 4 SSDs need fans because they run so hot now)
Not quite. SSDs were saturating the SATAIII bandwidth available. SSDs now connect through an NVME slot that take over 2-3 SATA ports and combine that bandwidth. PCIe SSDs bypass that altogether. It's why the Corsair PCIe4 SSD can outperform the fastest Samsung NVME. Ironically, some boards with NVME SSDs will shutdown PCIe lanes and not ports.

PCIe 4 controllers may need fans if the heatsinks aren't large enough to dissipate heat. These would only get hot under high I/O in RAID. They draw about 11 watts, and if the chipset were more refined, then they wouldn't need fans. HEDT Intel boards had some small fans maybe a decade ago. My old Athlon64 had a small fan for the chipset, too. Ideally, chipsets should go down in arch refinement but it isn't very cost effective. They could use blocks of copper over aluminum but it costs more and weighs more. Even if it'll help heat dissipate faster.

Reactions: ridgero

xsmi123

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2016
Sylvania, OH
My big concern is if it's PCI 3, PCI 5 is now out. It's basically 4x the speed of PCI3. I'd like to poo on apple about it, on the other hand, it's more intel not having a chipset to support the new standard.

So the dilemma is, do i wait a year and hope the new intel chipset and updated mac pro come out with PCI 5. Or, do I fear that intel doesnt update the chipset for a couple of years and by the time apple gets to updating it, it might be 3 years from now (or not ever). So do I just bite the bullet and get it now, or hold off for the much more modern PCI 5 standard?

I hope that when they say modular, they will also sell s motherboards in the future for the future intel processors that will support PCIe5. AMD announced Ryzen 3000 series processors and motherboards that support PCIe4, last Monday for a ship date of July 7th. I too am concerned about PCIe3, however, from everything I've read GPU's aren't saturating PCIe3 yet. So, I guess we wait on Intel.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014

I think the real problem with getting AMD is that they do not support thunderbolt and apple is all in on thunderbolt. Which means they are left with Intel's laggy chip designs. And Intel Xeon chipsets are stuck on PCI3. At this rate, it might be 2 years before Intel gets a PCI5 chipset out for Xeons, and then there is a decent chance apple will lag a year behind that (assuming they even update the nCMP regularly--an unknown right now). So my guess is, it could be as bad as 3 years to get PCI5 on a mac pro. :(

Hope I'm wrong. Please someone convince me I'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.