POLL! Think iPhone v.2 have video conferencing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blueflame, May 28, 2008.

?

Do you think iPhone v2 will have video chat?

1. Yes

48.3%
  2. No

31.5%
  3. Maybe in Version 3

20.2%
  1. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I was just curious about the general feeling here on the forum about the chance of video chat. We wont know till it is launched, but... peoples opinions matter. Video chat is the 1 feature I will jump on, and I know quite a few others who will as well. so, think it will come?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

probably v3. :cool:

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If we have fast enough 3G, we will likely have video conferencing. Plus with rumors of extra sensors in the iPhone 3G, perhaps one of them is a front mounted camera.

4. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

1 way chat would be possible, even without a front facing camera. AT&T already push 1 way video, 2 way audio, so it's not much of a stretch of the imagination to see them having the option.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Seeing as 3G phones years old can do this (or at least 2 way video calling), unless Apple specifically don't do it (like MMS :confused:) I see no reason why it shouldn't have it.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

You just mentioned the reason.

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

yeah well, there's no accounting for their decisions sometimes. Technically it's easily doable, but they might leave it out just so we can all moan about it :D

COPY/PASTE! ;)

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

9. saxamoophone macrumors regular

Would be nice if it did.

I don't think it's a deal breaker for me though.

(and go knights =p)

10. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I really hope so. I feel like this should have been in there from the first go around however, and its omission makes me think apple doesn't want it for some reason. I hope thats not the case though

11. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I think video conferencing is uncessary. How about putting on iChat or Copy/Paste first before video conferencing is implimented. I don't think a second camera or video conf. is necessary.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Sigh, I am not sure but I lean towards no

Even if it did, not many I know would be able to do it with me as my family/friends are stuck with old ass phones :)

13. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

I want to be able to ****ing copy/paste and Forward text messages. Other than that... YES

14. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

F***ing better have it. I want iChat on my iPhone after all the talk about it. Plus I love iChat on my desktop and I think I would really use it a lot. If they do, it better have nothing to do with the carrier and be a device feature that uses carrier data only like safari does.

15. frosse macrumors 6502a

Of course there's gonna be video chat and a front faced cam. No doubt about it.

You know what, I think we'll see video chat between the iphone AND a mac, in iChat. One of the main goals that Apple is trying to achieve is to wipe out the (now) thin line between computers and phones, this would be a great step to do so.

16. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I agree, but it seems quite possible that Apple would NOT do it, if they feel the implementation is not 100% I am skeptical, however, so many people thinking it is coming gives me hope. Everyone in my family has an iPhone, they live spread out all across the country, and having it would really be amazing. Also, what if you could plug you iPhone into your apple tv USB port, and use it to video chat?

cool stuff I think

17. frosse macrumors 6502a

How can you fail in implementing video chat? Unless Apple's got lousy programmers its all up to the service provider and since '3G video chatting' has been around for years its hard not to succeed. Jobs is all about this "keep in touch with your [Apple using] family" kinda way.

When it comes to 3G its all about video chat second to using Safari.

18. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Well Apple seems to have missed the boat with regards to MMS, IM, Bluetooth, etc. so who knows what they're thinking about regarding the iPhone. For all we know we could see nothing new but 3G, or we could see a slew of new features.

19. frosse macrumors 6502a

Well let's talk about the things you mention,

MMS:
    Jobs has never understood the purpose of MMS when there's something called e-mail especially when he launced the iphone - a product that consists in two things: a phone and a computer - merged into one unit. Why use MMS now when you can e-mail your buddies (with iphones) AND computers.

MMS is old and no longer needed.

IM:
    I agree, Jobs made a big mistake here. IM is great for chatting with overseas friends and family. For everything else, there's calling ....and Mastercard :p

Bluetooth: I think we'll see this in iphone 2.0, there's no real reason why NOT including BT into the iphone. Its great for the music experience with streaming music to stereos and wearing BT headphones.

Just my 2 cents :rolleyes:

20. macsensei macrumors member

macsensei

It has too. I have seen there smartphones in the past month with a video camera in the front. If they wait until next year they will be too far behind the game. If they want to have worldwide cell phone domination if would be a must.

21. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Do you think Apple can really be arsed to add video calling?

They've already missed out many key features on the iPhone.. why not miss another one?

22. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

this is strictly on ATT and no one else. 3G connection in the US is nowhere near what is available in european and other parts of the world.

What were they offering? 800kps. Yeah you can get video, but a very laggy, choppy video conference. ...This is not a viable solution.

Until ATT proves to apple that their network connection is strong enough, even with 80% server load, apple won't budge on this.

Thats my opinion.

23. mark34 macrumors 6502a

On Edge? no way. they could not have done so. I suppose wifi, but it would have been a pretty crippled feature if it only worked on wifi. Better for them to wait and include it now with a real network.

That having been said, I don't expect to see it this time around either.

24. blueflame thread starter macrumors 6502a

blueflame

I remember buying a powerbook brand new that would not be able to support hosting a multiway video chat. I dont think they are afraid of crippling a feature

25. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Would that not make it the first phone to use data as opposed to SMS? :p

Here's hoping (<---doesn't have unlimited SMS).