Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you think the iPad is PRO enough?

• Total voters

Sport73

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Wellington, FL
For those that think this is just a big iPad, here's an example that I think illustrates otherwise:

I'm typing this mid flight (first class of course, because that's how I roll) while sitting next to a gentleman watching a movie on his iPad Mini. I don't think I've yet seen such a clear demonstration of the difference SIZE can make, except for the time my wife cheated on me ;-)

He commented when we boarded just how massive the Pro seemed, and it dawned on me that after 2 weeks it just doesn't seem big to me anymore. I use it much like I did my Air 2 often, browsing, watching video, and general around-the-house computing. I don't really even notice the weight, and find that I can use it anywhere I have used an iPad before.

He immediately began playing a game on his mini, and I casually checked Facebook at the start of the flight. Once airborne, he began watching a video. Meanwhile, I flipped open my Smart Keyboard and checked/responded to emails, then edited a PowerPoint presentation, uploaded it to Dropbox, and shared it with my team. Then I started a video of my own, but opened and started browsing Macrumors on the side. Now I'm watching and typing this at the same time.

I'm doing all this despite having a MacBook (Not exactly heavy) above me in the overhead. But the iPad is better for entertainment purposes and just as good for work in a lot of circumstances, so it's the only device I need in flight. He can do much of the same on the Mini from a software standpoint, but the screen just doesn't lend itself to typing, multi-tasking, presentation editing, and more.

Love this thing, and it proves that touch computing can do more than just function as a toilet device.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Not to be "that guy" but aren't you saying that his device does what yours does, but yours is better because the screen is bigger? Sounds like a bigger iPad to me :p I mean if someone looks at you it would seem more professional than someone working on a mini. From an artist point of view, it would definitely be a more of pro device due to its functional improvements over the other iPad lines.

I personally am still waiting for some sort of 3D modeling software for iOS for it to be a pro device for my needs

philmore13

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
NC
I think the hardware is definitely pro, the software however..... Not so much. A LOTTTTTT of optimization needed on that end from Apple and Devs. It is going to replace my 12" rmb as it can perform all of my work needs and more and it is definitely faster and has much better battery life than my rmb. For anything hardcore I can use my 5k iMac :) I'm sure the software will get there in time though so I had to vote "Not Yet"

Reactions: Codeseven

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
For now, it is just a very big iPad or tablet....there isn't enough apps that optimize its full potential....

harpyeagle

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
iPad is, but iOS is not. Sine the iPad is only as powerful as iOS, I'd say IPP is not a pro device...not yet...

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Isn't this like the whole 3.5" iPhone vs phablet argument all over again?

Yeah, whatever you do on your 6" smartphone, I can likely do on my smaller iPhone as well. Heck, I have even created keynote presentations on my 4s back when it was a thing, and it was actually quite doable. It's just that with a smaller screen size, many tasks are going to feel more cramped. Likewise, certain tasks like watching video just feel more spacious on a larger display, and without the keyboard taking up half the screen.

I think the answer ultimately depends on what it is you were doing on your ipad before. Back when I was still experimenting with the flipped classroom teaching model in my school, I would record screencasts using the Educreations ipad app and annotating with only my fingers. Were I still doing that today, the ipad pro would be a godsend, between its larger screen and the supporting stylus (I never did manage to find a decent stylus for the ipad).

I personally feel that the ipad is as pro as you want it to be. The question is really more of how much effort you are willing to invest in learning how to get things done on iOS (which can mean having to unlearn everything you knew about computing on a desktop platform) and whether you are willing to live with its various idiosyncrasies.

Reactions: Night Spring

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Of course it depends on what you do. I can see use cases which are satisfied by the iPad Pro.

But for most professionals, the answer is no and the reasons are mostly software related.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Not to bash the mini, because I am now a Pro and mini guy, but I agree with you. Been using mine since launch, and use the exact same way I used my Air 2, but now with the keyboard I actually do more work on an iPad then ever before.

shahin90

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
For those that think this is just a big iPad, here's an example that I think illustrates otherwise:

I'm typing this mid flight (first class of course, because that's how I roll) while sitting next to a gentleman watching a movie on his iPad Mini. I don't think I've yet seen such a clear demonstration of the difference SIZE can make, except for the time my wife cheated on me ;-)

He commented when we boarded just how massive the Pro seemed, and it dawned on me that after 2 weeks it just doesn't seem big to me anymore. I use it much like I did my Air 2 often, browsing, watching video, and general around-the-house computing. I don't really even notice the weight, and find that I can use it anywhere I have used an iPad before.

He immediately began playing a game on his mini, and I casually checked Facebook at the start of the flight. Once airborne, he began watching a video. Meanwhile, I flipped open my Smart Keyboard and checked/responded to emails, then edited a PowerPoint presentation, uploaded it to Dropbox, and shared it with my team. Then I started a video of my own, but opened and started browsing Macrumors on the side. Now I'm watching and typing this at the same time.

I'm doing all this despite having a MacBook (Not exactly heavy) above me in the overhead. But the iPad is better for entertainment purposes and just as good for work in a lot of circumstances, so it's the only device I need in flight. He can do much of the same on the Mini from a software standpoint, but the screen just doesn't lend itself to typing, multi-tasking, presentation editing, and more.

Love this thing, and it proves that touch computing can do more than just function as a toilet device.

Your question and the poll is not going to result in anything meaningful on this forum. Macrumor's forums is strongly biased in favour of Apple in case you haven't noticed.

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
It's not pro because the OS is dumb right now.

It's not dumb for a mobile device, but it's too simple for a pro. It needs to be adapted with more basic features that Desktop OS Have.

Fantastic pro hardware though but apple let themselves down with the software.

It needs more powerful multitasking:
- same apps side by side
- better interaction between apps when side by side

- true multitasking in terms of when applications run In the background.

- A better application switcher, the side by side switcher is a joke no quick search bar, endless scrolling, not being able to "pin" most used multitasking apps. I also wouldn't mind a sort of multiple "desktop" option which "saves" side by side apps together for quick access. As in, I'm always using a calculator app and a notes app side by side so let me save that work flow as a multiple "desktop".

- no usb Support, I don't care what the Apple fanboys say, in many work places and work flows, sometimes you just need to stick a hard drive/usb stick into a device and swap/grab information.

- built in download manager, allow be to download easily from the Web, be that torrents, external links etc

- file manager.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
not yet, we need ios 10 to have file management through the ios osx icloud and users account
and wee neet in split view to can have same app opened

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.