Poll: Travelers, Which Hotel Would You Choose?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by samiwas, Feb 15, 2009.

?

Which hotel would you choose (see the descriptions in the post)

1. Hotel A (cheaper room rate with pay per use amenities)

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Hotel B (more expensive room rate with free amenities)

17 vote(s)
    77.3%
  1. samiwas macrumors 65816

So I was in an argument with someone about how some hotels charge for amenities, while others have them for free, and how either method helps or hurts the bottom line of the hotel. We each had fairly strong opinions for our choice. So I'd like to see what the general consensus was.

So you are going on a trip, maybe business, maybe pleasure. It doesn't matter. The trip is for two weeks. You are choosing between two hotels, next door to each other and both of the same quality...so all that matters is the info below:

Hotel A is $80 per night. They charge $5 a day for wireless internet, $5 per use to use their fitness facility, and a $5 breakfast buffet

Hotel B is $86 per night. They offer free wifi, a free fitness facility, and free breakfast buffet.

This same thing could be applied to numerous different amenities.
    Which one would you choose?

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

How is this not a no brainer? Am I missing something here?

3. Reventon macrumors 6502

I don't see why it's such a hard choice either :confused: But, option B offers the best value for the money. For an extra $6 a night, I know which hotel I'd chose to stay in.

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sure it matters!!!

Ignoring the couple of deflections, it would depend on why you are there.

If it's just a place to flop, then minimalist is the way to go.

If it's a get-away, then an all-inclusive is the obvious choice.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If I won't use the amenities why should I pay more for the room.

6. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Usually you get what you pay for ,...... the free wifi would probably be flakey, the fitness facility I wouldn't use unless it had a private sauna which usually is extra anyway (not kinky btw - strictly medicinal)and the free breakfast would be a bowl of smegma, so I'd go for Hotel A.
    Although iJohnHenry does have a point.

edit. should say that at first I thought Hotel B , it's only 6$ difference, but each time I try a deal like the free this n that for an extra whatever it turns out to be sour so times are changing, sticking with get what you pay for school of thought and trusting my instincts more nowadays.

7. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Well if it is just $6 difference I would get the hotel with the free wifi and free breakfast buffet. Now my advice isn't the greatest because I am cheap. I grew up in a big family and when we traveled we stayed at some of the worst motels to save money. So for me if I was deciding between a room that was $60 a night with no amenities or a room that was $90 with the free use of the fitness facility, free breakfast, and free wifi I would likely stay at the room that is $60 a night and deal with it.

8. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought the same thing...if we are indeed thinking the same thing. But the poll results so far are proving different! Interesting...hopefully some more will vote before I give my opinion on the whole thing.

Note that the post included that all things were equal...both hotels have the same wifi service, the same gym, and the same breakfast.

9. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

given these circumstances, i would opt for Hotel B because i would most likely use the wifi, and the breakfast buffet for at least like $5 worth of food. if it was a one night thing, i might just stick with Hotel A and deal for no wifi for a little bit.

however, i cannot be labeled as a traveler therefore i am not going to vote.

10. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I would go with option A for a few nights, sure - because if I were in a strange city I'd rather spend my time outside than on the internet - however the OP said it was for two weeks. I'm bound to use the internet a bit in that time, plus the free breakfast (if you want to call hotel breakfasts 'breakfast')

A for a couple/few days;
    B for two weeks.

11. trule macrumors 6502

I would first look at the age of the Building and quality of the rooms and their fittings. This is far more important than 5$ internet or what ever.

12. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

hmm ,I must be missing something then in that caseit's seemingly a no brainer, I'm interested to see what happens now , come on , spill the beans then .

13. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'd rather pay a bit more up front and enjoy myself than be all high strung about how much I used the amenities. When you travel, you deserve to relax!

SLC

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

When I travel with my family (4 of us total) I look for free breakfast and internet access. The free breakfast alone is worth about $20 as it would cost at least that much to feed my family.

15. samiwas thread starter macrumors 65816

And this is why I thought it would be a no-brainer. At the end of two weeks, it's only an $84 increase in cost ($1120 vs $1204), but I haven't had to worry one bit if I just want to quickly check email or look for something to do for the day, or deciding not to go work out a little because that's another $5, and I can eat breakfast or not depending on my mood. In the end, it's just much easier to not have to worry about all that. Even if was just for a few days, I think I would choose Hotel B 100% of the time. But then again, I'm on the computer a lot.

For those that say that the amenities at the "free amenity" hotels are usually crap, this is not always true unless you go to a real budget hotel. For instance, I'm in a Residence Inn which has free wired and wireless internet, free workout facility (which is quite nice), free breakfast (which is more than just a bowl of cereal...a small buffet), free happy hour each evening with beer, wine, and a decent meal, etc. All those costs are probably built into the room rate, which is not very expensive at all.

The initial argument centered around how the hotel would look at it. His argument was that the hotel would want a cheaper rate because that would always draw more people in, and then the hotel can profit off charging for the extra amenities. I figured that free amenities would draw more people, making Hotel B sell more rooms, allowing them to profit off of that.

In this situation, both hotels have the same amenity package, and thus have the same expenses involved (although Hotel A probably pays more for the billing support to charge for everything). But Hotel B is gaining that extra $6 off every single room that is sold every single night, whereas Hotel A only gains the extra sales when someone decides to use something.

I would think in this case that Hotel B would be more successful. If you aren't directly comparing, and you are just looking for a hotel..those free amenities probably jump out as a good selling point. But indeed, some people just don't look at it that way.

I feel the same way about airline baggage fees. I would really have rather seen ticket prices increase by $10 rather than having to deal with per-bag fees. Very few people out there would notice the difference since ticket prices change every 4.3 seconds. But the airline could spread the cost amongst everybody, instead of making people angry by charging them extra. The only thing these extra baggage fees have done is cause more people to bring ridiculous-sized carry-ons onto the plane.

And again for rental cars...stop telling me the car cost $29 a day, then tack on $17 per day in fees, just aggravating me. Just tell me the car cost $46 a day and let me be blissfully ignorant.

So that's the way I look at these things. I would rather just pay the cost I think is fair, and not care about what is going on behind the scenes. I don't want to have to pick over every detail, and deal with extra fees, and all that. You're only ripped off if you know you're getting ripped off. If you think the price is fair for something, then you'll be happy.