Poll: Upgrade to Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jdmlight, Oct 28, 2007.

?

Would you recommend upgrading to Leopard?

1. Yes, upgrade NOW!

49 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. No, wait for an update.

24 vote(s)
    25.5%
  3. No, stay with Tiger.

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Unsure/Haven't installed Leopard yet.

14 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. jdmlight macrumors regular

Just wondering if I should upgrade my 2.8ghz C2E iMac to Leopard (yet) or not (running Tiger currently).

Please post what kind of user you are (power user, graphic artist, photographer, developer/programmer, recent switcher, etc.).

Edit: If you vote "no," please post why.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Long-term user. Systems Admin, plus some graphic design (photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator etc). Two machines upgraded. Zero problems.

The only sensible way to decide, however, is to check that all of your important software (including printer drivers) will work on the new OS. Only you know what is important to you.

3. boogieman macrumors regular

If you use any network storage leopard will not see them this is a big problem for me as I use them alot. I would diff wait for a update. Other than a few problems I love it.

4. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

I would have originally said Yes, Install Now... BUT... after spending lots of time trying to help people in the Apple Install and Setup forums, I'm going to say wait until at least Monday when Apple may do a recall of at least some discs.

5. Furgster macrumors 6502

Furgster

i would say install it, but create a backup first

6. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

I voted upgrade now. I have had an overall pleasant experience so far. :)

7. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Wait for an update. There have been a bunch of minor problems that have been annoying (i.e. the amount of time it takes to repair permissions, something happened to files in WOW and it would not work until I did a fresh install of WOW, dashboard widgets disappeared, had to reinstall my printer, and some others issues. However, I did expect that these minor things would happen and I am sure that future updates will fix them.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

8. Gojulas895, Oct 28, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  9. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

10. edoates macrumors 6502

If you like being a pioneer (that is, the one with the arrows in your back), go right ahead. If you have any production work to do, hold off until 10.5.1 or so. The problems I've encountered:

1. The 8 character user name from Jaguar or earlier problem.
    2. HP printers are problematic at best: two sided printing prints the back side page upside down regardless of the "binding" setting (top or side).
    3. Some Adobe CS3 programs don't work.
    4. Digidesign ProTools does not not.
    5. Depending on where you got your old fonts, some may cause new problems for old programs (Discus in my case). Replacing the fonts with newer versions cleared up the problems.
    6. Printer Setup is gone, replace by a System Preferences panel: there are fewer options, or at least they are not as apparent (such as whether or not to list a particular printer in the printer selection drop down).

So, I'd await new printer drivers from your printer manufacturer, Adobe udpates (especially Acrobat Pro), and be prepared, even after 10.5.1, to spend a couple of days testing all but ordinary Apple software.

Eddie O

11. jbardi macrumors member

I voted upgrade now, but as everyone has been saying, backup, backup, backup!!!

I personally have only had minor issues such as Network drives not showing up all the time and the fact that Disk Utility is kind of on the fritz when it comes to repairing permissions... it will repair eventually, but it takes a LONG time and shows no progress while doing it.

Over all I am very satisfied with the upgrade as the feature gains are worth more to me than the minor bugs which I know will be fixed in later point upgrades.

12. chuckiehina macrumors member

Sticking with Tiger

1. Still using a G4. While my G4 is fast enough (according to the Leopard specs) and I have enough memory, from what I've seen I will not see any performance improvement (actually some performance degradation).

2. Hey I still need classic, not ready to give it up.

3. I have been burned to many time in the past. I won't use a .0 version of ANYTHING.

13. Miss Mandy Mac macrumors newbie

Photographer/web design - recent switcher.

The quick view and cover view features are cool, also the new sidebar in Finder, but that's about it. I don't think it's worth the money just for that. I've also had a lot of trouble since installing it with things just not working right. So far I've fixed them all, except one problem, but stuff just keeps coming up. Also, it has a few "upgrades" that I don't like, for example, the new search. When you search for something in a finder window on Tiger, it sorts whatever you searched for by File Type, and only shows the top 5 of each file. You can choose to show more of a certain file type if you want. Now with Leopard, it just shows a list. A plain boring list, just like windows. I really liked it the Tiger way better. Unless that's a setting you can change on Leopard that I'm unware of? I wish... :)

ETA: Also, I didn't think it was possible, but Preview sucks even more than it did before. I hated the fact that before, I couldn't just click on one image in a folder, and then use back and forward arrows to browse through *all* the pics in that folder. Well, you still can't in Leopard. But now you can't resize the pictures easily either. Before, all you had to do was resize the preview window, and it automatically adjusted the size of the image. Now when you do that, it just makes the window smaller, not the image, causing scroll bars. You can use zoom in and out buttons to make the image smaller, but they do a lousy job of zooming and the images get very blurry and practically unrecognizable.

14. dr_lha macrumors 68000

I would recommend people upgrade unless they require X11. If you require X11, stay with Tiger for the time being.

15. edoates macrumors 6502

I posted earlier with a cautionary note. I'll be unequivocal now: I would not upgrade just yet. I just reverted back to Tiger after my upgrade for the following reasons:

1. HP 3310 driver from whatever source: two side printed cause the reverse side to be upside down: no fix; driver communication to the device became unreliable; "HPIO" crashed at least once.

2. System gets sluggish from time to time. I keep seeing "spindmp" in the activity monitor using almost a full CPU share of time (75 to 100% usage). I don't know what "spindmp" is or what it's doing, but is soaks up the CPU and disk I/O cycles. Related to HP driver failures?

3. iTunes playback is glitchy, probably due to #2 above using up the disk I/O bandwidth.

4. Primera Bravo II "Disc Publisher" can't see the Bravo printer correctly, so it won't print on the CDs or DVD.

5. Word has crashed several times.

6. Airport management utility and Airport Admin Utility don't work. The newer Airport management stuff gives me less information. Probably no fix for that (Apple must think the new thing is better: it is worse).

7. Digidesign ProTools LE and TDM don't work yet.

There are a bunch of things I don't really like about Leopard (or I'm just not used to them), but none of those are the reasons I reverted; I will upgrade again once the initial kinks and third party compatibility issues are resolved. But for now, I was spending too much time on QA and not enough on the tasks I wanted to perform. Tiger was not this much trouble.

Eddie O

16. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

Now that there's an update for Leopard, what would be your opinions on buying Leopard?

17. rstorm macrumors regular

I just upgraded and love it. Make sure you backup. I did an Archive and install and had to recreate my pop accounts but other than that it has been flawless. Have not installed 10.5.1 yet.

18. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

Considering these results:
    [​IMG]
    I bought Leopard yesterday. With ~50% of people saying buy it and ~25% saying wait for an update (which Apple has released), I figure Leopard must be pretty good. And yes, I will do a clean install and backup my Tiger install first. (I would have done that regardless)

19. jdmlight thread starter macrumors regular

After having Leopard for about a day, I'd say it's worth the upgrade. There are quite a few nice features - for example, Mail sets itself up after you type in your username and password.

There is one thing that I miss A LOT though: In Tiger, when you put a folder (or your hard drive icon) in the Dock, right-clicking it gave you a nice hierarchal menu. Stacks in Leopard just displays the folder, not allowing you to navigate. This is how I always opened programs, so it'll take some getting used to (unless someone has a workaround?).