Poll -voting with money for new apple laptops.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johnsy, Oct 14, 2008.


How many people here will vote FOR updated laptops by buying them?

  1. I will buy updated macbook

    5 vote(s)
  2. I will buy updated macbook pro

    31 vote(s)
  3. I will buy "new"- refreshed $999 white macbook

    0 vote(s)
  4. I will buy "new"- refreshed 17" macbook pro

    1 vote(s)
  5. I already have a macbook/macbook pro

    17 vote(s)
  6. I will buy older generation on amazon/macmall/refurbished

    11 vote(s)
  7. I will wait next generation

    14 vote(s)
  1. johnsy macrumors 6502

    Nov 15, 2006
    So how many of you here will vote for new apple laptops by buying them?
  2. avalys macrumors 6502

    Jun 4, 2004
    I bought one. I plan to sell my current 1-year-old MBP to some twit who thinks he needs a matte display and FW400 port to deal with his crappy snapshots and home videos - e.g. 3/4 the people on this forum.
  3. johnkountz Guest


    Nov 3, 2007
    Bought six of them

    Bought six of them, four MacBooks, and two MacBook Pro's.

    Upgraded the whole family.
  4. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

    Nov 15, 2006
    Did you bought macbook?
  5. Kaliemon macrumors member

    Apr 30, 2006
    I bought a MBP. Giving my first gen MBP to my dad. I'm trying to switch him to mac so I don't have to deal with his vista issues;)
  6. Beric macrumors 68020


    Jan 22, 2008
    Bay Area
    Very disappointed with both the lackluster specs and incredibly high prices (You can get the identical specs of the $2000 MBP for $1300 from HP).

    I will wait for the next revision, surviving on my Macbook. If it's still bad, I'll either wait for one more revision or buy a PC. I'm hoping that EFIX will make a product that works with PC laptops. Seems more likely than Apple releasing a high-specced, reasonably-priced product.
  7. Coldwater macrumors member

    Jul 18, 2008
    I bought a MBP, up'd it to 2.8Ghz and took the 320GB, 7200RPM drive.

    Will make this five year old box look like ENIAC.
  8. Beric macrumors 68020


    Jan 22, 2008
    Bay Area
    With only a 9600 GT for that much money? Honestly? :confused:
  9. johnsy thread starter macrumors 6502

    Nov 15, 2006
    As far as future proofing- apple has at least 24 Millions of macs running leopard...
  10. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 7, 2005
    Toss some of thaqt money this way man.
    Thats over $12 000 on computers...wtf :S
  11. dougnewman macrumors 6502

    Aug 9, 2006
    Long Island, NY, USA
    I shall probably be voting against the glossy display by buying an old MBP.
  12. Empyre macrumors member

    Oct 9, 2008
    Lol, Game set match and.....win

  13. iBunny macrumors 65816

    Apr 15, 2004
    Alright Bought a 2.8GHz MBP w/ 320GB 7200RPM Hard Drive.

    Only 2 complaints.... No Higher Res Screen (Was hoping for at least 1680x1050), and No GeForce 9650M GT.

    Oh Well, I wanted one anyway because I think they are alot better than my Dead (Due to Video Card) Santa Rosa MBP. Yes I know I will get it fixed, but my hope is to sell it now to after It gets fixed to someone who wants a previous gen matte MBP at a really low price :)
  14. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

    Sep 13, 2007
    You can get a 1080p screen and a free bluray upgrade and the hp is still around $1500.
    Although you don't get the dd3 and low power gpu option... or the osx option.
  15. Beric macrumors 68020


    Jan 22, 2008
    Bay Area
    DDR3 isn't supposed to be much (if any) better. I don't really care about a low power option. And does it really cost Apple $700 to simply put OS X on a MBP? :confused:
  16. dougnewman macrumors 6502

    Aug 9, 2006
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Apple is a business, it wants to maximize profit, it will charge the highest price it can get away with charging. HP or any other company would do exactly the same thing.
  17. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    I plan to upgrade when the time is right. I was going to possible dump the 17" I have in favor of a 15", but by the looks of things, I may not. If the new 17" is enticing, I may upgrade. The only deciding factor is will it come in matte.

    Congrats! :cool:
  18. thespyglass macrumors regular


    Aug 22, 2008
    Liverpool UK

    I am between buying the new MBP and buying the previous revision. Although my current laptop is very much struggling I'm hoping it holds out long enough for me to make a proper decision.

    My thought process is going something like this:

    Ooh, new MBP! :)
    But ew, glossy screen. :(
    But maybe you can get an antiglare thing? :)
    But that's not the same as matte :(
    But no (known) GPU issues! :)
    But costs quite a lot of money :(
    But awesome new design process! :)
    But maybe I prefer the old design :(
    But exciting new trackpad and manufacturing stuffs! :)
    But is it worth the worth extra cash? :confused:
    But... [insert but-it's-a-Mac! justifications] :)
    But... [insert stop-being-a-slave-to-advertising! admonishments] :(

    Slot in some "at least I won't have to deal with Vista", "I don't know if I like the keyboard" and "there seems to be some sort of competition to be President of America going on" musings and you've pretty much got my brain for the next couple of weeks.

    *goes insane*
  19. turtlebud macrumors 6502a

    Jul 17, 2002
    decisions decisions

    the new MBP are cool, but they didn't make me want to go buy one today. there are some nice new features (glass programmable trackpad, good battery life, new design process, etc.) and some not so nice omissions (firewire 400, matte screen, more expensive RAM, regular non-chicklet keyboard, etc.)

    I'm debating between a Early 08 2.5GHz MBP and a Late 08 2.4Ghz MBP. The early 08 2.5Ghz saves me about $200+ and gives a 512MB 8600GT and 6MB L2 (or was it it L3) Cache vs. 256MB 9600 + 3GB Cache.

    I typically buy the later revisions because they tend to be more polished (of course there's the whole 8600GT video card problem so maybe I'm just wrong about that whole idea) so I'm leaning towards the Early 08 MBP, but I would hate to be "left behind" in a year or two when they're leveraging the new technology they put in the current MBP.

    of course if cost wasn't an issue, i'd probably go new, but i'd get the higher end MBP (which is about $700 more than the 2.5Ghz MBP from Early 08).

    what are the strongest arguments for going new?
  20. steamed.hams macrumors 6502


    Aug 15, 2008
    Miami, FL

    I'm in the same boat, couldn't have put it better.

Share This Page