POLL: Was 2.0 Worth All The Trouble?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TheSpaz, Jul 16, 2008.

?

Was the 2.0 upgrade worth all the trouble?

1. Yes! I love 2.0 and all of the new Apps!

30 vote(s)
    73.2%
  2. No. I'll stay jailbroken on 1.1.4 - Thank you very much.

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. What's 2.0?

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I upgraded my iPod touch to 2.0 on Friday/Saturday and I'm trying to figure out if the few apps (that work) were worth all the crashes and instability.

- iTunes 7.7 now freezes for 5 minutes EVERY TIME I plug my iPod touch in.
    - If I delete an app from within the iPod touch, that app gets synced back onto it unless I go and delete it from iTunes as well.
    - AIM is pretty buggy, did they even touch this thing after it was demoed?
    - One annoying thing about AIM is that when I'm typing, I'm constantly canceling the suggestion bubble because it hovers over the top row of letters on the keyboard. This makes me miss letters and spell strange words.
    - A lot of the icons in the app store look like junk and iTunes doesn't give you a way to customize them. (This would be easy enough to implement... they could make it like modifying album art).
    - My iPod touch restarts itself for no reason every once in a while.
    - Wifi is clearly not as strong anymore
    - My iPod touch also froze a few times for no reason... once while I was viewing photos and once when opening "Music".
    - A lot of the apps on the AppStore (in my opinion) look like webapps that were converted into native apps. They don't have the same look and feel as Apple Apps (such as smaller fonts, strangely shaped search boxes and custom ugly graphics).
    - I figured 2.0 would let us use 3rd party microphones (that plug into the dock connector) so that the touch users could participate in the recording apps, but NOPE!

However... not all is bad. There are a few nice things.
    - Remote is really cool
    - Saving images from Mail/Safari is nice
    - AppStore will grow
    - Multi delete/move in Mail
    - Screenshot command

Also on a side note: I was hoping for a VNC client and a Colloquy/IRC client on the AppStore, but there is none.

Hopefully things will get a lot better... but my experience hasn't been very good and I'm a little embarrassed to be a Mac user right now. I can just imagine how many PC users and Mac users that are angry at Apple for releasing such crap. 2.0 Day didn't even officially arrive until the 12th.

2. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

yes, it was, and there is a VNC app. it is moca lite vnc, and it works nicely!

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wow! Thanks! It JUST came out today... I hadn't heard about it before I posted this... heh.

4. pisces03x macrumors regular

As you said, Remote is an awesome app - it's definitely the best app on my iPod right now!

The small, Apple-made changes to the firmware (for instance, the Remote as well as UI changes, "Restrictions," the scientific calculator and advancements in Google Maps) have all come together to make iPhone 2.0 an amazing piece of work.

If Apple didn't implement the SDK, then this is all that we would have to work with. Don't get me wrong - I like the whole concept of an SDK and what it's capable of doing, but when developers don't finish programming or don't properly debug the code, this causes errors and crashes on the iPod.

Apple has made excellent improvements on their part in order to help with the growth of the iPhone and the iPod touch; but now it's up to the developers. As of right this instance, the App Store is nothing special, but I'm sure that if we give it time, proper crash-free apps will begin to appear that will change the way that we use our iPods forever.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

wheres the option for no and I'm stuck with 2.0 :mad:

yes I've tried the iTunes 7.5 restore but just get error (20)

6. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

yeah, i heard about it like 20 min ago. it has some limitations though, but a better version is in the works!

7. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

My Touch ran perfectly under 1.1.4. I NEVER had any troubles. Now it freezes about every 2 minutes. My touch is literally unusable at this point.

8. techage14 macrumors regular

techage14

For me it was worth it. Because I didn't have to pay for it. :D
    But, this firmware is an overall great improvement. Just a few bugs here and there.

9. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Favorite new features?

1. App store (duh)
    2. Save pictures from Safari!
    3. MobileMe Push (even though that's no longer what its technically called)
    4. Calendar update.