Poll: What are your top desktop enhancements?

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
I was wondering, what are the top (five, maybe?) desktop enhancements you use?

I have seen many screenshots with custom dock's etc. I am very interested in new ways to customize the UI beyond skins, icon mods, "dock eye-candy", etc.

I am wondering more about the full blown desktop enhancements people use

thanks!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I feel like the only person who uses OSX as it is out of the box. Sorry, no changes here, just the regular Tiger interface, which I know and love. :p

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Been using Meterologist to have weather in the menu bar and X Resource Graph to monitor my Mac, for quite a while.

Just started using MainMenu for maintenance and QuickSilver as a launcer, and both look like keepers... ;)

Edit: Aaah... you meant mods. I don't do that. But check ResExcellence for different approaches. Apart from altering the occasional menu item the only "mod" I do is change appearance from Blue to Graphite in System Preferences... :p

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
mad jew said:
I feel like the only person who uses OSX as it is out of the box. Sorry, no changes here, just the regular Tiger interface, which I know and love. :p
No enhancement things here either. Under Panther I liked "MenuCalendarClock" which put a drop down calendar in your menu... but since Tiger has that calendar widget, it's just not a necessity any more.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I used ShapeShifter until the 15 day demo ran out. It was kinda cool to switch up the GUI appearance a bit for a change of pace, and I might have even kept using it had it been freeware or even a mere $5-10. But $20 for that, plus another $10 for Mighty Mouse, just for a cosmetic alteration, isn't worth it to me. That $30 will be better spent elsewhere.

Besides, Tiger looks pretty damn nice as is.

Applespider

macrumors G4
No desktop enhancements here either. I do have Quicksilver running in the background but it's pretty much invisible until invoked.

And I guess you might count the Synergy iTunes controls in the menu bar - though since it looks like an iPod Shuffle wheel, it's pretty discreet too.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
mad jew said:
Another vote here for no enhancements. I feel like OS X doesn't really need any!

Plus, I know some Mac users who have a ton of stuff running on their machine, and it gets a bit excessive. Ironically, they are the same ones who bash Windows users for slowing down their system and chewing up resources with AV, SpyWare, Norton, etc., having a million things running in their system tray and all that - yet they're no better with all their widgets, enahancements, add-ons and millions of little apps on their system! I try to keep my Mac as clean as possible, and see no need for any enhancements per se. :cool:

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Candybar. That is it. Everything else doesn't make the desktop look all that great...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
jrv3034 said:
Konfabulator, now that it's free. Hey, I'm still on Panther!

I also use Transparent Dock.
Isn't the dock already transparent? Or is there a way to make it fully transparent? :confused: On your desktop it still looks like you can see the Dock's outline... just curious....

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
ok, that's more like it...

Im not asking about things that change the appearance, rather, I am interested in enhancements (QS, app launchers, etc.)

thanks!~

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
jrv3034 -

I really like how your dock is positioned on the far left corner...what app allows for that?

thanks

thequicksilver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2004
Birmingham
A few things.

• Drop down menu featuring frequently accessible apps which just don't quite merit a place in the dock (courtesy of Butler).
• iTunes Play/Pause, Previous and Next buttons (courtesy of Butler).
• Transparent dock icon for hidden apps (courtesy of Tinker Tool).

The other thing that isn't really an enhancement, but is something I find impossible to do without is a setting that - for some ridiculous reason - is in Sys Prefs->Appearance. I can't do without 'Click in the scroll bar to jump to here'. In long documents when you want to get to the end without reaching for the keyboard, it's a must.

Another very minor thing is putting labels on drives on the desktop. Purely cosmetic.

ahuman7341

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2005
Fairbanks, AK
menu meters

sizziling keys- it can control itunes nomatter what app your in, its one of my new best friends.

and i also changed the eject menubar item so it has a picture of a hamburger instead of the eject symbol. and it says cook hamburgers instead of open drive.

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
wow...

sizzling keys IS awesome indeed!!!

I love this app!

thanks for the tip!

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
A set of custom icons in coretypes. A custom hacked extras and finder, search bundle resources. Butler, menumeters, main menu, wclock.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Forgot about dock transparancy. I use ClearDock, wich in my opinion is better than TransparentDock, especially with Tiger.
Cool, I always wondered if there was a free app to do this - the only other ones I had heard about seemed to be packaged in with other utilities and cost money. Thanks for the link!