Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What camera type/brand do you primarily use?

• Total voters

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Job supplied:

Nikon 17-35
Nikon 70-200
Nikon D2hs
Nikon D2xs
Sigma 14 mm fisheye

And a whole crap load of EN-EL4a & EN-EL3e batteries, chargers, tripods and random stuff related to photography.

jalagl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Costa Rica
Canon Digital Rebel XT w/ 18-55mm Kit lens, 50mm f/1.8, and Tokina 12-24 f/4.
Also own and use a Panasonic DMC-FX3 6MP P&S.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I can't really say that I use one type primarily.

Probably in this order...

1. Leica D-Lux 3 point and shoot (fits in my pants pocket)
  2. iPhone (crap camera, but it's always with me)
  3. Leica Digilux 3 (fantastic glass)

What is more interesting - less than 10% P&S cameras represented. Browsing the posts, one might have guessed that to be higher. Time will tell.

I don't think the vast majority of people (those who use only P&S cameras) would tend to be browsing the photography forum on the whole except when they have questions or are considering a purchase. Shooters, on the other hand, tend to use DSLRs more and many read this particular forum regularly.

I'd like to change my vote as I realize that I use a P&S far more than I use my DSLR.

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
Without digressing into battles over which is best, I'm curious to see what types and brands MR users are shooting with as their primary camera.

The poll choices attempt to differentiate Film, Medium/Large Format, DSLR, and Point & Shoot users. Obviously we could list three times as many poll options but my assumption is that most people on this MR forum are shooting with modern DSLRs. That category is broken down by manufacturer for that reason.

For my fellow statisticians, I know this is piss-poor methodology -- let's just run with it and see what happens! :)

Why isn't Panasonic on your list????? Lumax are great cameras.

valdore

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Kansas City, Missouri. USA
I'm a Canon dude...

These days I use:

Body: Canon 5D

Lenses: Canon 17-40L, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 15 mm fisheye, and a Canon f/1.8 II.

Before I got the 5D last year I used a Rebel XT, which was my first SLR camera.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I'm a Canon dude...

These days I use:

Body: Canon 5D

Lenses: Canon 17-40L, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 15 mm fisheye, and a Canon f/1.8 II.

Before I got the 5D last year I used a Rebel XT, which was my first SLR camera.

Slobber, slobber.....:) I have been drooling over a new 5D, which should cost around $1,900 with the $300.00 Canon rebate. I use a XT, but will have to decide very soon, since the rebate is from now through June.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Been using canon for a couple of years now. Both me and the wife have Canon 30D's and she also has a canon point and shoot (can't recall the model number). Have been very happy with our purchases. We also have a good selection of lenses (good for our needs) to compliment our 30D's.

adjuster

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2007
Canon 5D with Canon XTi as backup
Canon lenses: 17-40, 24-105, 70-300DO, 70-200 IS 2.8, 100-400, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 100 macro
Sigma 10-20

Also, for the pocket--G9, 870

The 5D is so good, it is unbelievable. Have several printers including an HP130 that prints 24x36.

Several Gitzo tripods. Love the Traveler for nonphoto trips.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Currently, I use the D3 as the primary camera for people shots, macro shots, landscape shots and whatever else.... I use the D300 as the primary camera for bird and wildlife shots.

What's the reasoning there? Lighter, more "mobile"?

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
I bet it's the 1.5x "magnification".

(Someone feel free to be pedantic and point out how it's not really magnification... :rolleyes: )

Well if debunking myth is being pedantic then I'll be the first one to label myself as such. 1.5x gives you greater resolution, not more magnification. When you consider that you can crop into a 1.5x camera's image more than most full frame cameras then it can be viewed as magnification.

Still the image of the bird on your D300 at 400mm is the exact same size as the image of the bird on the D3 at 400mm (assuming the same lens was used, focal lengths do vary slightly from lens to lens).

SLC

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Haven't gone out shooting yet today..... :) Still working on images I shot on Saturday!

Yes, indeed I am aware of the "myth" around the 1.5x "crop factor" but wanted both cameras anyway. At the time they were announced I couldn't make up my mind between them and decided that in many ways they complement each other quite well, so chose to purchase both. Actually, you can very clearly see the 1.5x impact when using a DX lens on the D3, because in the viewfinder the camera automatically provides a mask around the area that is not available when shooting with DX. Brings home the point very nicely.....

I have the optional battery grip on the D300 and stick in an EN-EL 4 (same battery that is used in the D3) and this boosts the frames-per-second to nearly the same as on the D3. I find that it works quite well for me to put the D300 on the tripod with the 300mm f/2.8 lens and then to have the flexibility of using the D3 for shooting people and other subjects with other lenses at the same site.

Both are excellent cameras and I am more than pleased with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.