Poll: What software do you run under Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by davidlv, Nov 29, 2010.

1. davidlv macrumors 65816

I wonder what software you use that must be run under Windows.
    Most major titles are available for OS X now.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, and most major titles that haven't had a native version for the past couple years have terrible ports (AutoCAD, LabView). Other professional-level programs do not have a Mac equivalent (Solidworks, plus a few more I can't think of at the moment).

3. Queso macrumors G4

Pretty much nothing for work now. Even if there isn't a Mac version there's normally a Linux port I can use. I still have XP in a VM just in case, but after getting SmartDashboard working in Wine even that doesn't get fired up these days.

4. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

run a bundle of locksmithing software and access control systems for various clients all of it is either XP only or XP prefered

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The only thing I use Windows for now is Visual Studio - my day job involves writing a lot of software for Windows so I can't stop using Windows completely, unfortunately

6. bilboa macrumors regular

For work I do software development on Windows.

At home, the only thing I use Windows for is to run an RC flight simulator, Phoenix RC. There is actually now a decent OS X RC flight simulator that I could buy, Aerofly, so I could completely ditch Windows if I bought that.

7. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

IE <grumble>
    Visio
    OneNote
    Visual Studio
    SQL Server Management Studio

Games

8. hawksma macrumors newbie

What do I run under Windows?

Nothing. <thank you universe>

9. charliex5 macrumors regular

Revit and I still haven't gotten used to AutoCAD for Mac.

10. MrMoore macrumors 6502

I run two programs in Windows 7.

Quicken and Visio.

The Mac version of Quicken is so limited that I need to still run the Window version.

11. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Internet Explorer (for testing webpages; it's been years since I've needed it to access one). I'm dreading buying a copy of Win7 just to be able to test on IE9.

Oh, and a couple legacy games.

12. vistadude macrumors 65816

Outlook, Opera, Windows live messenger (All of these run better in windows), Photoshop, Illustrator, EndNote, Word, Kaleidagraph (Don't feel like buying a mac version), Unreal Tournament 3, Digital Imaging Suite, Windows live photos, PDF XChange Viewer, VPN Client, SSH, Windows live mail, iTunes for iphone sync, windows media player, Ashampoo burning studio, notepad, Igor Pro, Windows xp mode, spider solitare.

13. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

On my Mac, I run Win XP via Boot Camp for a very small handful of applications:
    • Remote Desktop Connection (for remoting into servers at my workplace when I'm on call). I've seen a Mac version for this, but have not yet been successful at getting it to work, and my workplace gives no Mac support.
    • Diablo II. Yes, I know, there's a Mac version for this; I just haven't bothered to install the Mac version, as I'm not really much of a gamer and seldom play it anymore.
    • The most important reason to run Windows for me: Cakewalk SONAR Producer, a professional-grade digital audio workstation similar to Logic Studio/Pro. Cakewalk SONAR has no Mac version yet; if it's ever ported to OS X, I'd uninstall XP on my Mac straight away.
    I have an older, self-built XP box. It's relegated to running Remote Desktop Connection when I have my Mac busy doing something and don't want to reboot to Windows, one or two legacy games when I'm in the mood (Star Trek Armada and Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force), and the occasional DVDFab for ripping DVDs I buy to a USB stick, for later conversion via Handbrake to my iTunes library on my Mac. I'm thinking about putting a big external drive on it and using as an iTunes server for my Apple TV.

Everything else, I do in Mac OS X.

14. a.jfred macrumors 6502

Microsoft Money (Sunset Edition). I have far too many years of financial data in MS Money, and they do NOT make exporting easy. I've yet to find a Mac version of any financial software that's comparable for what I need.

And I can run it via Parallels, so I don't need to reboot into Windows, which helps.

15. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

16. vistadude macrumors 65816

17. Janneman59 macrumors newbie

Janneman59

18. Queso macrumors G4

PaintBrush :)

19. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

For RDP...try CoRD. Awesome APP. Does RDP, and allows a list. Multiple sessions in the same window, with a strip on the side indicating whats open, etc...nice app overall.

20. apple-ette macrumors member

Quicken and SportTracks

I have found a some replacements for SportTracks that I could live with (Rubitrack, for e.g.), but still hunting for a replacement for Quicken.

21. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Ditto on Quicken.

22. Yakob macrumors member

23. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

I don't run anything on Windows (on my Mac). I was about 1/2 way through patching XP on my iMac but felt dirty so I put it back.