Poll: What's your purchase trigger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JNB, Apr 13, 2007.

?

What specifically will cause you to buy a new Mac (or what are you waiting on)?

  1. Leopard (w/ or w/o iLife)

    2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. Hardware update (regardless of line). I'm cool with Tiger.

    23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  3. I want the whole hardware/OS bundle refreshed. Money is money.

    8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Oh, screw it. I just bought/am buying now. I'm tired of waiting!

    12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. JNB macrumors 604

    JNB

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2004
    Location:
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    #1
    Yeah, everone's chatted about it, but I'd like to see how is breaks down, numbers-wise...
     
  2. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

    Jarcrew

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2007
    Location:
    Cardiff, Wales
    #2
    I'm going to keep an eye on the refurb store over the next few weeks. If a Core 2 Duo 15" pops up with a glossy screen, I'm picking it up, I'm through waiting. My birthday's in October and it's not like Santa Rosa's that compelling an upgrade.
     
  3. Queso macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #3
    At the moment there's nothing in the Mac range that says "Buy Me!!" to replace what I already have, but a decent small-sized professional class laptop to replace my PB12" would probably fit the bill.
     
  4. Veracon macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2007
    #4
    I was really hoping for Leopard, but evidently that won't happen.

    My current situation is that if I see a Santa Rosa-based MacBook before mid-July, I'll probably buy it. If not, I'm not getting a Mac laptop.
     
  5. juanm macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    Location:
    Fury 161
  6. Vidd macrumors 6502a

    Vidd

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2006
    #6
    I'd like to see a hardware update that's above slightly higher processor speeds.
    Otherwise, I'm waiting for Leopard - the money from upgrading could be better spent.
     
  7. iSaint macrumors 603

    iSaint

    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    #7
    I'm not really waiting for anything. I love my 1.67 Powerbook. My daughter's iBook is dead, but I'm going to wait awhile and buy an iMac for her and my son.
     
  8. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #8
    I was going to get a 24" iMac with Leopard, expecting a revision. I will wait till the next revision which I would expect by WWDC with Santa Rosa and upgrade. That machine hasn't changed since it was introduced in Sept. I will be out of town for five days at the end of April and a week in May and with WWDC 9 1/2 weeks out, I'll survive. By the time I return in May it will be three weeks out and I wouldn't be surprise if they get updated beforehand so that focus can again be on the iPhone. Though with Santa Rosa becoming available in May and several weeks for production ramp up I can also see Steve using the Keynote to actually announce a new revision. It remains to be seen if we will see a form revision or new colors added to the iMac line.

    In light of the Leopard delay, I think Apple owes us a little in the way of sneak peeks at what is coming for hardware and a general when. Just a P/R announcement saying new Minis in May, new iMacs in June, new notebooks in July. But that wouldn't help them clear out stock of the current models.
     
  9. iSee macrumors 68040

    iSee

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2004
    #9
    There are a lot of options left out of the poll!

    I am happy with my MBP, so I guess my trigger would be getting it stolen, lost, or damaged in a way not covered by AppleCare.

    Also, I've been thinking about a Mini media server setup, so an improved Mini (better graphics processor, and/or cheaper price) might tempt me...

    On the other hand, do I really need a media server? No, not really. To me it's just a cool idea, and I really have better uses for the hundreds of $ it would cost me.
     
  10. CV4 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario, Canada
    #10
    I am waiting until June/July and a hardware upgrade on the Macbook Pro's. Whether this comes with Santa Rosa or without, I am fine (though I would prefer with Santa Rosa). I just feel that the MBPs are alittle overpriced right now for their hardware and are getting alittle outdated.

    I don't need a laptop until September anyway, but if no new MBPs are out by August, I may have to seriously consider going Vista.
     
  11. JNB thread starter macrumors 604

    JNB

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2004
    Location:
    In a Hell predominately of my own making
    #11
    The poll was wrapped around yesterday's announcement; a lot of purchase decisions were pending Leopard's release, hopefully timed conveniently with some refreshed hardware lines. Sorry if that wasn't apparent.
     

Share This Page