Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

When will the next Mac Mini be released by Apple?

• 2017 - There's still time!

Votes: 14 7.0%

Votes: 81 40.3%

Votes: 9 4.5%

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Some time between 2021 and the heat death of the universe when maximum entropy has been achieved

Votes: 24 11.9%
  • Never - the 2014 (7,1) is the end of the line

Votes: 72 35.8%

• Total voters

Cesoca

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
Brazil
If not this year, 2017, then the first half of next. The Mac Mini may be a dead for the vociferous cynics who haunt this forum, but it is still relevant for average folks and Apple. The new Mac Mini is almost certainly coming sooner or later.
I would love you were right, but I don't have much hope it will happen soon.

Reactions: opeter

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
What does the MacBook Air have to do with the Mini? Apple still makes the MacBook Air and does yearly minor upgrades, none of which have taken away capabilities (like doing away with upgradeable RAM on the 2014 Mini). And when they finally discontinue the MBA, some people will complain, but they'll still have many up to date laptop options with the MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
There super duper sir chief designer and CEO see no need for thin small products except phones that make yuuuuge profits while their computers and moldy old OS are in decline.

Last edited:
Reactions: opeter

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
Hmm. It wouldn't do to start competing with the Apple TV 4K just yet and as a 2014 it is still newer than the cylindrical 2013 Mac Pro.

Best guess? A 2018 refresh along side or shortly after the rumored modular Mac Pro, but a late 2017 release along with the iMac Pro is also plausible.

No clue if the next mini will be a real upgrade or a spec bump to Broadwell to bump the version number and match the Air.

Reactions: Trusteft

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Too bad, an upgrade is long time coming and doubtful at that. Ironically, there really isn’t much that they need to do to improve the Mini for it’s customer base:
  • Update the processor
  • 8 GB standard memory
  • Update Standard 500 GB HD, and offer 256 GB SSD option for additional $100
  • Replace one USB port with USB-C
  • Sell the standard package for ~$600
The current form factor is fine, and most Mac Mini customers would be thrilled with just a simple update.

To some extent, I think Apple is missing an opportunity with the Mini. There are a lot of people moving to an iPad + Desktop as their personal computing combination. An inexpensive desktop option might help feed iPad sales. The Mini allows people to jump into the Apple eco system at a lower cost because they can still use their existing monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Also, some people just do not like having an all in one computer.

Reactions: arefbe

LorenK

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
Illinois
I thought he was the Virtual Reality guy.
Actually, he's the supply chain guy, and nothing a supply chain guy likes more than is a simplified supply chain. His ideal world would be one supplier, one product, one warehouse, one store and one customer.

When Steve Jobs came back, he pared back the computer offering, too many models with too few differences. The NMP exposed a weakness at Apple and that's trying to hit a home run every time, and it just may be that Apple doesn't think that the MacMini is anything more than just a niche product with a limited value, despite how beloved it may be with users. But given how long it took to recognize and correct (still not done) the mistake with the NMP, is it any wonder that Apple seems to be unable to figure out what to do with the Mini, other than milking an old design for every penny. With such a slim product line, I am always amazed that they can't spend a little time updating its existing product line to keep longtime customers coming back for more.

Reactions: jpietrzak8

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
For what Apple considers the intended users (switchers from Windows PCs who already have keyboards, mice, and displays, which includes myriad iOS app designers) the current mini is just fine and doesn't need any "upgrades".

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
For what Apple considers the intended users (switchers from Windows PCs who already have keyboards, mice, and displays, which includes myriad iOS app designers) the current mini is just fine and doesn't need any "upgrades".

It needs: hardware wise.

ziggy29

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
Oregon North Coast
No quad core option? Still using Haswell chips? Still using a Thunderbolt 2 port? No USB 3.1? No SSD option above 256 GB?

Nope, even if little else changed, these NEED updates. Even if *nothing* else substantially changes, these are needed.

All that said, my guess: By WWDC 2018 or it ain't happening.

MarkJames68

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2017
I’m holding out for the 2112 anniversary edition.

images

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
The "heat death of the universe" option was kind of a joke. ;) I'm surprised to see so many people picking it.

visegripmikey

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2016
It would be cool to have a "rise from the dead" update from Apple: New: airport extreme; time machine; ipods (including a watch nano - no need for $$$ apple watch for me lol); mac mini; ipad mini; macbook air; 3.5" iphone; anything else?

Reactions: CmdrLaForge

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
The "heat death of the universe" option was kind of a joke. ;) I'm surprised to see so many people picking it.

Actually, post-2021 seems the most logical choice to me. I've been watching Nintendo bring out limited runs of their classic machines (NES and SNES), selling them to nostalgic fans. My guess is that Apple would be far more comfortable with that sort of marketing, where products are unique boutique items sold for their emotional impact rather than their suitability as tools for day-to-day work. The "function-follows-form" design of the nMP and MacBook Pro seems to indicate this as well...

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
Actually, post-2021 seems the most logical choice to me. I've been watching Nintendo bring out limited runs of their classic machines (NES and SNES), selling them to nostalgic fans. My guess is that Apple would be far more comfortable with that sort of marketing, where products are unique boutique items sold for their emotional impact rather than their suitability as tools for day-to-day work. The "function-follows-form" design of the nMP and MacBook Pro seems to indicate this as well...
I haven't seen so much passive aggressive bs since the invasion of the Martians in Mars Attacks.

Haswell

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
USA
George R.R. Martin will finish the seventh book of A Song of Ice and Fire before a new Mac Mini is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.