Poll: When will the 5th Generation iPad come out?

When will the 5th Generation iPad be announced?


  • Total voters
    60

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
6,558
638
15 minutes in the future
I'm not really sure what to make of this upgrade. I think that it was out of place and released simply to make the more expensive iPad have comparable value to the iPad mini.

They clearly want to make FaceTime HD a standard, and they couldn't wait until March and leave the iPad 3 without it and have the iPad mini with a better camera.

Apple released the A6X chip so that everyone could clearly see that the iPad "4" was a faster product.

2X wifi for the same reason. The iPad mini shouldn't have a single better spec than the new iPad.

What do you guys think? I think that we'll see a thinner and lighter iPad with a more efficient display at or around WWDC, but I wouldn't rule out a March release either.
 

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
1,359
258
I give it a 60% chance that this will be the new ipad months. I think march will be removed from their events now. 40% that march will have a new ipad.

They announced a new ipad kind, so they wanted to include the other ipad updates in this month. I think they see it that easy
 
Comment

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
6,558
638
15 minutes in the future
I give it a 60% chance that this will be the new ipad months. I think march will be removed from their events now. 40% that march will have a new ipad.

They announced a new ipad kind, so they wanted to include the other ipad updates in this month. I think they see it that easy
I'm going to assume that Apple will want to cut down on R&D costs to possibly make the next iPad cheaper(or just have higher margins).

It would make sense to release updated iPad minis some months after the flagship iPad. It would make more people buy the more expensive iPad when it is released. Plus, I think that October is absolutely the perfect month to release the smaller, cheaper iPad. It keeps it as the hot device during the holiday shopping season, and it is cheaper, making parents more likely to buy it for their kids.

The next big iPad almost has to be a redesign at this point. The iPad 3 is heavy, especially with a smart case. This needs to change. If they release both iPads in October, and they can't keep up with holiday season demand on either product, it would really hurt their revenue. If Apple does massively ramp up production to produce two models at the start of the holiday season, I'd bet that there will be a bunch of "scuffgate" like incidents. This is another reason why the mini should be updated in October. It effectively creates a new product using old parts. There shouldn't be any reason for supply constraints after the first generation.

Sorry for long replies. I'm pulling an all nighter because I just finished a huge assignment late in the night. Got to keep my brain active for college in a few hours. :cool:
 
Comment

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
1,722
401
UK
I think that if they release another in March, it'll just be redesigning it surely?.

I mean, they may not have the A7 ready so soon after the A6 and if so then why update every 6 months :(.

I'm trying to see it from their point of view and all I can see is that without the iPad update yesterday they'd be selling an iPhone 5 with an A6, an iPad mini with A5 and an iPad with A5X.

With the A5X having the $179 price increase over the mini. So this might be to put more of a reason to spend more and to more say 'look, the iPad is as amazing as the iPhone in terms of speed! It's truly the best we can offer!'
 
Comment

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
6,558
638
15 minutes in the future
I think that if they release another in March, it'll just be redesigning it surely?.

I mean, they may not have the A7 ready so soon after the A6 and if so then why update every 6 months :(.

I'm trying to see it from their point of view and all I can see is that without the iPad update yesterday they'd be selling an iPhone 5 with an A6, an iPad mini with A5 and an iPad with A5X.

With the A5X having the $179 price increase over the mini. So this might be to put more of a reason to spend more and to more say 'look, the iPad is as amazing as the iPhone in terms of speed! It's truly the best we can offer!'
Agree on all fronts. The future iPad will probably be a redesign that is much lighter with a better igzo display and better battery life, the A6 is supposedly more efficient, after all!

Maybe something cool like the smart cover was to the iPad 2. I keep hoping for an active stylus like the Samsung Note products have, but I'm not holding my breath.
 
Comment

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
1,722
401
UK
Agree on all fronts. The future iPad will probably be a redesign that is much lighter with a better igzo display and better battery life, the A6 is supposedly more efficient, after all!

Maybe something cool like the smart cover was to the iPad 2. I keep hoping for an active stylus like the Samsung Note products have, but I'm not holding my breath.
I doubt they'll introduce a stylus tbh. Would be cool, but I don't think many people are too interested in one (at the moment).

I agree they'll redesign the body, include the better display (making it thinner/lighter) and if they wait until next October they'll also introduce the A7 (or similar) and up the rear camera to the 4S's 8MP. Also memory bump to 128gb top model (finally!).
 
Comment

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
6,558
638
15 minutes in the future
I doubt they'll introduce a stylus tbh. Would be cool, but I don't think many people are too interested in one (at the moment).

I agree they'll redesign the body, include the better display (making it thinner/lighter) and if they wait until next October they'll also introduce the A7 (or similar) and up the rear camera to the 4S's 8MP. Also memory bump to 128gb top model (finally!).
I was really surprised that they didn't double the memory this time. It would only have cost them a few dollars, which were certainly shaved off now that the retina display is 6 moths old, and it would have been a significant upgrade value. Plus it would further differentiate it from iPad mini.

I feel that Apple could really make the stylus cool again.They try to market the iPad as an artist's tool with the various painting apps they show off at the keynotes. A note-like stylus would actually make the iPad a compelling tool for that, plus there's no telling what developers could do with the API's. Heck, even if the stylus were a $69 optional accessory, I'd still spring for it.
 
Comment

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
1,722
401
UK
I was really surprised that they didn't double the memory this time. It would only have cost them a few dollars, which were certainly shaved off now that the retina display is 6 moths old, and it would have been a significant upgrade value. Plus it would further differentiate it from iPad mini.

I feel that Apple could really make the stylus cool again.They try to market the iPad as an artist's tool with the various painting apps they show off at the keynotes. A note-like stylus would actually make the iPad a compelling tool for that, plus there's no telling what developers could do with the API's. Heck, even if the stylus were a $69 optional accessory, I'd still spring for it.
I agree, but I think they are saving the doubling for a 'true' next iPad. Also with A6/FaceTime HD I think a lot will still enjoy the current pricing.

They totally could, maybe in iOS 7/8/9 they'll add support, for special one's potentially made for the iPad, but don't know whether they're interested in making their own stylus... Honestly would rather have mouse support (for at least clicking and dragging) so if I use an external bluetooth keyboard I can use a mouse too lol, but that's just picky as I am lazy and can't be bothered to stretch out and tap the screen. :D
 
Comment

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
6,558
638
15 minutes in the future
I agree, but I think they are saving the doubling for a 'true' next iPad. Also with A6/FaceTime HD I think a lot will still enjoy the current pricing.

They totally could, maybe in iOS 7/8/9 they'll add support, for special one's potentially made for the iPad, but don't know whether they're interested in making their own stylus... Honestly would rather have mouse support (for at least clicking and dragging) so if I use an external bluetooth keyboard I can use a mouse too lol, but that's just picky as I am lazy and can't be bothered to stretch out and tap the screen. :D
But...but...an Apple made stylus would be heaven in the hand. Just imagine, Jony Ive, effectively designing a pen. Then I'd wait for some Chinese ripoff and get a real pen with the same design.
Mouse: There's a jailbreak for that. Or at least you used to be able to do it a while ago. IDK if it's still supported. I agree though, using an external keyboard is weird without a mouse. Maybe not intrinsically so, but because I am so used to the desktop paradigm.
 
Comment

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
1,722
401
UK
But...but...an Apple made stylus would be heaven in the hand. Just imagine, Jony Ive, effectively designing a pen. Then I'd wait for some Chinese ripoff and get a real pen with the same design.
Mouse: There's a jailbreak for that. Or at least you used to be able to do it a while ago. IDK if it's still supported. I agree though, using an external keyboard is weird without a mouse. Maybe not intrinsically so, but because I am so used to the desktop paradigm.
Would be an interesting video for sure!

And ah, don't really jailbreak myself so don't know lol. Maybe one day, they could have a small finger as the cursor so it's like you're using a finger!
 
Comment

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
6,203
1,136
There have been rumors of a summer iPad refresh plan. WWDC.
 
Comment

canyonblue737

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2005
1,107
811
Perhaps summer at WWDC, perhaps still spring. I would normally say October is the new month but Apple can't leave all of spring and summer free of new iOS and consumer products, their stock depends on an every 4 month or so keynote update on a crazy new product. iMacs and MacBooks aren't "sexy" enough anymore.
 
Comment

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
6,558
638
15 minutes in the future
A March update is so highly unlikely now, I think they've reset the upgrade cycle.
Don't you think it's extremely high risk to release the large iPad with new technology at the start of the holiday season? Apple has had trouble keeping up with the stock of every iPhone and iPad. If they faced this problem in the holiday season, like the quintessential "ships in 3-5 weeks" in early November, it forces consumers to buy a competitors product for a gift. This would be a bad, bad move I think.

For the 4th iPad it should be fine, because every new feature comes straight from another product. Same for the iPad mini.
 
Comment

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
1,699
13
Don't you think it's extremely high risk to release the large iPad with new technology at the start of the holiday season?
Perhaps, but Apple seems to prefer annual cycles where possible, so maybe they'll release the next gen iPad a little earlier (to work any kinks out before holidays), maybe in September next year, but I can't imagine they'll release one in March - just seems too soon, and that'd mean they only gave the last two iPad versions 6 months each in production and sales (which has huge cost implications).
 
Comment

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
1,722
481
I wouldn't expect another iPad refresh until late summer or early fall of 2013.
 
Comment

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
662
104
Since Apple is touting the iPad 4 as a major upgrade, rather than a minor refresh (like when they increased the RAM in the high-end iPhone 3G from 8 GB to 16 GB), I sincerely doubt they'd come out with another major upgrade a mere five months from now. My money is on next October for the iPad 5, although I wouldn't rule out next summer.
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.