Poll: where do you keep your iTunes library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hmai18, Nov 16, 2008.

?

Where do you keep your music?

1. External HD

17 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. Local/Internal HD

53 vote(s)
    75.7%
  1. hmai18 macrumors 6502

My iTunes library is about 25Gb and has been residing on an external hard drive because my original Mac purchase was an iBook with only 40Gb of storage. However, with my new Macbook, I've got plenty of room to spare and have been debating whether to move my collection onto the local hard drive to free up some more room for movies and Time Machine on the external.

So, how big is your library, where do you keep it, and why?

2. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

There should be a both option. I keep it on my computer but also have a backup on an external. And my music is about 10gb, plus podcasts, tv shows, and movies, I have about 27gb filled on my iPod touch.

3. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

imo external would make more sense for movies unless you have 1,000 TB of music

4. Saganomics macrumors newbie

Currently on my iPod, until I can get a replacement external.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Local. No point in keeping it on an external, imo, since then when you take your laptop with you you don't have your music. And 400GB laptop drives are available now, so unless you have tonnes of uncompressed music, storage should not be an issue.

6. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Both. 23 GB of music (256 kbps compression rate) on my main HD, backed up to my external via TM.

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

External... I have to.
    My library with music and videos doubles the capacity of my computer.

EDIT: Well, not all of it. There is about 20GB's of it on the internal HD. I greatly need a new external.

8. quantumdrift macrumors newbie

I voted Local/Internal but I do also have an external backup of my music.

My music library is almost 250GB, but running on a Mac Pro I really don't have to worry about internal space. I also have it backed up on an external 2TB drive just to be extra safe.

9. priller macrumors regular

Both, play them off the internal & backed up to an external drive.

10. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

About to make a third backup on an NTFS partitioned external for windows use.

I have roughly 30 gigabytes of music, plus my own recorded stuff which is about 5 gigabytes. I like music.

11. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

1 TB drive hanging off an Airport Extreme.

Just can't afford to keep 500GB of music locally. (all legal btw)

12. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

this.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The actual library is on my internal hard drive. I store all of my music there, but I move all videos to networked hard drives (except for podcasts).

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Before some noob wonders if he has more music than Sony, I'm betting it's Apple Lossless, right?

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Internal for now. MacBook Pro has 500GB HD.

I like to have everything with me.

Will be upgrading to a 2.5 inch 1TB drives when they are released sometime in the future.

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Internal on my MacBook. My iTunes folder is about 103 GB in size right now, but I have upgraded to 250 GB HD 9 months ago so I can afford to keep that on the internal.

17. seb-opp macrumors 6502

my music is on my internal drive, it used to be 60GB but that died and they replaced it with an 80GB drive on warranty, probably because they stopped stocking 60GB drives in the repair shop. That gave me extra space so I ripped some DVDs, So I had about 13GB of music and 20GB of films and TV shows. I bought an external drive and recently decided to move all the movies onto it but keep TV shows and Music on the internal. Now I have room to fill my iPod with movies, but Im thinking about getting a 250GB internal as they have got so cheap

18. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Two places - all music is on my internal MBP drive (songs are managed by iTunes). All movies/TV shows are on an external drive (I hold down the option key when dragging movies to iTunes so it doesn't copy them to my iTunes library folder.)

When I purchase a Mac Pro in a few months, everything will go on a secondary internal drive.

I also back up everything to an external using Time Machine.

19. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I keep all my iTunes music in my iMac's internal hard drive. I backup my music library to my external hard drive.

20. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Both, 80gb music on my hard drive, and backed-up to external via TM.

21. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

My music and the few movies (less than 20) I have live on a LaCie 320gb rugged external drive. It's light, durable and goes wherever my MBP goes. Connects via FW800 so little to no lag time.

I backup my MBP and the LaCie to a partitioned 1TB external drive using SuperDuper. (BTW, if you're not backing up w/SuperDuper, you're nuts.)

My internal HD is 250gb. I may look into swapping that out for a 500gb at some point, but I'm fine w/the current setup.