Poll: Where do you think the 2017 iPhone will have its TouchID sensor?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ActionableMango, May 8, 2017.

?

Where do you think the new iPhone will have its TouchID sensor?

Poll closed Aug 8, 2017.
  1. Front, in a bezel area like always

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Rear

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Front, under/embedded in the display itself

10 vote(s)
    47.6%
  4. Edge, using a roller-type sensor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. None, they are going to remove TouchID and use something else (retina scan, face recognition, etc)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other, explain in comments

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Keep in mind this vote is for where you think Apple will locate the touch sensor, not where you personally want it to be located.

If there are multiple models, I'm referring to whatever the most premium model iPhone will be.

2. noobinator macrumors 601

Way too many leaks already showing it on the back. I'll eat my left boot if it's not on the back.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

At this junction, I feel the touch ID sensor will be relocated to the back of the iPhone, at least for the rumored 5.8 OLED model. Mainly being I don't feel this will be the year that touch ID will be embedded into the display, as that transition is ultimately coming. With the touch ID being remapped to the back of the iPhone, it will at least allow purportedly for reduced bezels and more surface area for the display.

4. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Clearly, everyone voting real seems to not have the faith that Apple will be able to put it on the front like its predecessors.

5. ActionableMango thread starter macrumors 604

ActionableMango

According to MR's guide for 2017 iPhone, "most rumors suggest Touch ID may be built directly into the display". But the recent rumors seem to indicate a rear location.

I see two possible explanations that there are multiple rumors for both locations:

(1) Apple was targeting in-the-screen, but couldn't pull it off in time. The rear location is the fallback plan. In-the-screen will come later.

(2) All models will lose the bottom bezel. However, the premium model will differentiate itself by having in-screen TouchID, whereas the normal models will have TouchID at the rear.