Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which hardware features would you most want in next iPhone?

• Smaller/no notch

Votes: 34 35.8%
  • Touch ID addition

Votes: 54 56.8%
  • 120 hz promotion display

Votes: 37 38.9%
  • 5G

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • USB-C

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • Better battery life

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • Reverse wireless charging

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Faster charging

Votes: 14 14.7%
  • Always on display

Votes: 27 28.4%
  • Better display (higher pixel density, brighter, colors, etc)

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • Better radios (other than 5G)

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • Better drop/scratch resistance

Votes: 23 24.2%
  • Better waterproofing

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • More storage

Votes: 15 15.8%
  • More RAM

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Better Face ID (better angles, etc)

Votes: 26 27.4%
  • Size change (leave comment for specific size)

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Design style or color change

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • Return of headphone jack (in a fantasy world)

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Other (leave comment)

Votes: 4 4.2%

• Total voters

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
There’s another thread on this but I wanted to see it as a poll.

Obviously, more features the better, but just pick the ones you want most.

I left better processor and camera off the list because those are assumed and there are only 20 poll choices allowed.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
120 hz>Better battery life> Smaller/no notch/>More Ram>Faster charging would be my top 5.

DaveSanDiego

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
I guess I'm an old fuddy duddy... :)
Of course I have resisted even owning a cell phone until the Pandemic made it mandatory to do even the simplest of tasks any more. So I recently bought a new iPhoneSE. Based on the list above, NONE of them seem important to me. Its a phone... it has a camera... it fits in your pocket.... guess my needs are minor compared to anyone else...

Reactions: MartyvH

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I picked just "Touch ID addition", but the fact is that I upgraded to the iPhone 12 Pro Max on launch day. I expect this phone to last for several years... definitely will NOT be upgrading this year and most likely next year at a minimum. When I am ready to buy a new iPhone, the items on the "what new feature do you want" list will be significantly different from what they may be today. And as consumers, we will always be "chasing the curve".

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Touch. ID on power button or underscreen.
14.5 will have an unlock feature in the watch but not everyone has the AppleWatch and sometimes we don’t wear it

Reactions: snipr125

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
A display with transparent/reflective pixels or something. Basically an e-paper display, but with no compromises.
I can't believe nothing of this sort is possible to develop.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I selected...
• ProMotion because I don’t think dynamic/variable refresh rate is a bad feature.
• Better durability because duh… LOL… But seriously, I’d very much like to go caseless. However, I’m just so concerned yet of placing my device on a surface that’s in anyway gritty. I just want to be able to wipe it clean.
• Other: Reduce or otherwise clean up the double step camera bump area. It looks tacky to me. It was okay on single and dual lens setups but so blatant on the triple camera plus flash plus LiDAR config. It bothers me a lot more than the notch.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Higher base storage to 128GB on the regular iphone, but I highly doubt this will happen as then the Pros base storage would then have to be bumped up to 256Gb (unless Apple increase the Max storage on the Pros in line)

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Higher base storage to 128GB on the regular iphone, but I highly doubt this will happen as then the Pros base storage would then have to be bumped up to 256Gb (unless Apple increase the Max storage on the Pros in line)
The entry level is always (99.999…%) a poorer value. It’s meant to push customers to upgrade, either immediately or shortly down the road. Typically, the high end model is also a terrible value meant to entice that niche group with an obsession to milk every last drop no matter the cost.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
I voted for the headphone jack as a joke but better battery life and TouchID would be my top two choices.

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
Honestly, I don't know what I'd want from a new iPhone. The 12 Pro Max pretty much hits the nail on the head for me so far. 120Hz would be nice, but considering I go from a 144Hz monitor to 120Hz iPad to 60Hz iPhone with zero complaints, it's not a must-have for me.

Realistically, what I'd want from an iPhone 13 Pro Max:

• Bigger sensor for the Telephoto and especially the Ultra Wide. Camera is my most used feature, so the other two need an upgrade to match how powerful the wide angle sensor is.
  • Increase telephoto zoom to 4 or 5x. Digital Zoom is *perfectly* fine even with the current 12MP sensors, so extend the telephoto farther.
  • Speaking of MP, like I said the 12MP is fine, but I'd like to see the iPhone move up to 16-20MP (to assist with digital cropping, mostly).
  • Qualcomm's new 5G Modem that can do UW and sub-6Ghz simultaneously, for better battery life and better 5G data speeds
  • I'd like to see a new generation of Face ID that can function similar to SOLI - that is, say I reach for the phone it automatically wakes up.
All the other stuff, like 120Hz or a smaller notch or USB-C and whatnot would be nice, but I don't really care. If those were features that were that critical to me, I would've bought an S21 or Pixel 5 instead of my 12 PM.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Better battery life, Touch ID, larger base storage (128GB for regular, 256GB for Pro).

120Hz is overrated. My Poco X3 has it, and I don't really notice significant difference when it's 120Hz or 60Hz. My iPhone 7+ still feels as smooth. Tuning the animation of Android to 0.5x in developer setting made a more responsive feel than 120Hz screen. People are just into it due to tech bloggers keep making it like it's a must have. The fact that you have to use slow motion video to show a difference between 120Hz and 60Hz means in real life, the difference is probably not as perceptible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.