Poll: Who'll buy a new Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Micky Do, Oct 26, 2018.

?

Are you interested in buying a new Mac Mini?

Poll closed Nov 9, 2018.
  1. For sure; and it will be my first Mac Mini.

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. For sure; to replace my old Mac Mini, sooner or later.

25 vote(s)
    23.6%
  3. Likely; wandered, but want to come back to Mac Mini.

4 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Probably; provided the Mac Mini can be specced to fit my needs / desires.

38 vote(s)
    35.8%
  5. Possibly; will check the Mini out and compare with other options.

24 vote(s)
    22.6%
  6. Not likely; had a Mac Mini but have moved on

7 vote(s)
    6.6%
  7. Nope; the Mac Mini is not for me

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. Nah; MacOS is not for me

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. FlyingTexan macrumors regular

The only thing that matters is price. There’s no way they go DOWN in specs and even the Apple TV 4k does 10bit 4k HDR.

You literally can’t build a machine that wouldn’t do what most want from it. The latest gen intels already took care of the video out. So unless it’s $1k and over I’ll be getting one simply because the functionality is there in current gen base hardware. It’s the OS environment I want as scaling on a Mac is so much better.

2. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

I need to see what they announce tomorrow, the prices and test run the actual Mini in the flesh before I know.

I suppose this time tomorrow I’ll have a better idea of my upgrade plans. I would like 6 cores, but we’ll see.

3. bigfatipod macrumors regular

depends on what it is. I am very happy using my 2012 mini server and will probably run this thing into the ground. two 2tb ssd's make this thing a beast and the fan doesn't come on much at all for me.

4. tubular macrumors 6502

tubular

I doubt I’ll buy it immediately, but it’ll be a big relief to know that if my trusty 2012-era quad-core mini blows smoke, I’ll finally be able to replace it with a comparable machine.

5. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Waiting for a system that is likely DOA does not appeal to me.
    They'll have to show commitment before I buy.
    Been burned too many times by "the last 16 bit", "the last Power PC" etc. to want to play that game again.
    Nor do I like they way they are equipping their walled garden with reactive armor.

6. roguefury macrumors member

roguefury

My case for getting one:

Work machine: 2017 MacBook Pro 15" (don't like the keyboard, generally keep personal stuff off it)
    Personal iPad Pro: I travel a lot, and the iPad works perfectly for the personal stuff I want to do while carrying the work machine around

I think I still need a personal Mac.

Upside to another laptop (perhaps the 12" or it's successor) is added portability. Downside is that I'd prefer having a big(er) screen to work on at home...maybe a case for an iMac could be made here.

The upside to a mini is that it can be always on and serve as a light home server. Downside is that the new mini may be underpowered, and I still would need to buy a nice monitor....again, a possible case to get an iMac.

Also, a stationery device (desktop) would be nice to have so the kid can use it. Basically, it will serve as a family machine.

Anyway, I've been hoping to see a mini, so I could get a nice monitor and get a functioning mac at home.