Poll: Will Apple innovate a next-gen matte screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Phrasikleia, Oct 17, 2008.

?

Poll: Will Apple innovate a next-gen matte screen?

1. No, the reflective quality of glass is desirable and is here to stay.

42 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Yes, the reflective quality of glass is an unwanted side effect, and Apple will innovate a solution.

33 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. No, the previous matte screens will make a comeback.

14 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Do you think we'll ever get the best of both worlds? A screen that has the strength and contrast/color qualities of glossy, but without the glare and reflections?

If Apple can work for "many, many, many" months on the perfect glass for a trackpad, can they do the same to innovate a glass screen that doesn't act like a mirror? And if they can do it, either with mottling, etching, or surface treatment, would they? Or will matte remain a glaring omission?

[Edit: I should clarify that by "reflective qualities" in the poll, I mean the tendency of glass to act like a mirror. As I noted above, I'm bracketing out the whole debate about contrast and color saturation in order to focus on the reflections created by the glossy surface.]

2. nauthiz macrumors newbie

I went to the apple store yesterday to check out the new MacBook Pros. I have been using a 1.5ghz g4 powerbook for a long time now and I really need a new laptop. The keyboard was fine, the trackpad/button worked surprisingly well (I am a master with the old trackpad and I hardly noticed a difference) and the computer was very fast, but I was annoyed by the dark area reflections. I didn't notice the glossy screen when the image being displayed was bright, like when browsing most websites or working in the finder. But when I brought up a dark image (film noir style) it was obvious this display was behind glass. To see the detail I had to cup my hands around my eyes and press my nose to the screen.

I need a new laptop and as an apple customer my whole life, I cant go anywhere else. Is it really that hard to replace the glass front with treated glass or plexiglass? I mean they already swap in new processors, why cant they cut out a different display cover and inject that into the production line for a little bit. Hell, apple, I would be willing to pay 200$ extra if it meant you ran a small run of matte version Macbook Pros. I dont care if if you color them bright pick i would still buy it. I am really worried that if I buy this version that 6 months from now apple will release a brand new feature called "Matte." I remember the first macbook pros dumped firewire 800, I was a little nervous then that they would scrap it forever. Then low and behold it returned in the next version. Could matte function the same way?

Why apple did you have to get rid of the matte option now?! I don't know if i can wait another 9 months to see if matte returns.

3. cube macrumors G5

Where is the option : "No, apple will continue to be making hardware that only LOOKS good"

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I don't think they'll do it because there's not enough return on investment: Glossy screens are very popular with punters and the average user will choose glossy over matte because of the increased contrast and "bling" factor.

Die hard mac users may complain on forums but I'd wager that very few of them will actually cross over to the "dark side" (and there aren't that many choices for matte screens in the Windows world either).

The end result is Apple will lose very few, if any sales, by not having a Matte option and therefore have little to gain by spending millions on R+D.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

There is no option for "No, because Apple is made up of a bunch of stubborn bastards"

6. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You are missing the option that said "Apple gives you the finger, and you doesn't change anything."

Seems to me that is the case.

7. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

Will Apple innovate a next-gen matte screen?

I hope so! I know I'm wishfully thinking though.

8. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

My thoughts exactly!!!

9. gnd macrumors 6502a

gnd

I think Apple will come up with an anti-glare finish for the glossy screen.
    This case can't work with a non-glass screen, so they need to come up with something different. Maybe something like lens coatings that reduce flare, but for reflected light ...

10. Phrasikleia thread starter macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Those of you voting for the first option, could you please chime in about why you think the mirror effect is a benefit. Again, let's bracket out the real or perceived qualitative differences of the display and just focus on the fact that the display can produce reflections. Why are the reflections a good thing?

11. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Its not, its terrible. BUT as I pointed out in another thread, that is the new look to Apple products from the Dock to iTunes to Cinema displays to iMacs and now notebooks. Reflections are what they want, I'm surprised the trackpad doesn't reflect as well. Even the outer case is shinier.

12. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

This is my opinion. I have no resources or anything, just speculation and theory.

Alright so as we all know Apple has been going for environmentally friendly products for a little while now and it has just been rated as an EPEAT Gold laptop. Now, I think this is partly because of the new glass they have put into it. I also think that at this point in time they have run into issues with Matte environmentally friendly screens, so they released what they had at this time. Case in point: 17" Macbook Pro. It was originally slated for this event, but some errors occurred with the design. They want to get the product right and not have a bad product launch.

I don't think that Apple has forgotten it's roots (the professionals), I think it just wants to please them. This means they would rather look like they have screwed you around for a couple months (knowing most professionals will NOT boycott their other machines for this) than too have a failed product launch and bad publicity.

Just my 2 cents.

13. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

I'm optimistic that Apple will innovate something. :)

Someday, but not soon. :mad:

14. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

It's very possible that they could be working on some way to give the glass a matte finish in the screen portion (leaving the bezel shiny like they want it to be). Surely there must be some possible treatment for glass to produce that effect.

15. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

What if you prefer Matte but are sure Apple won't again make it an option on the MBP's?

16. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I voted "Yes, the reflective quality of glass is an unwanted side effect, and Apple will innovate a solution" out of hope

17. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

As I see it there are 4 options:

1. Live w/ the glossy, bitch on forums & learn to deal with it
    2. Primarily use an external matte monitor
    3. Buy one of those cheap "matte" screen sheets
    4. Switch to a PC

It might happen, matte could be over...

18. fireball87 macrumors newbie

I theorize a decent number of those voters voted that for the reason that you left out a "No, apple will continue with their glossy screens because that's the current fad and where most of the money is, despite the fact that I'd really prefer to not see myself when working" option. I know that's why I chose that.