Poll: Will Replacing a hard drive on a non UNI MB/MBP void the warranty?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HBOC, May 21, 2009.

?

Will replacing the hard drive on a non UNi MB/MBP void the warranty

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    92.6%
  1. HBOC macrumors 68020

Since i have been seeing this come up more and more in recent days/weeks, i thought of starting a poll of what people have been told by apple.
    As i have stated in several different discussions, I have been told it will void the warranty on the ENTIRE computer by atleast 4 genius's in all 3 apple stores near my house.

I am then hearing contradicting reports that people have been told that it void the warranty on JUST the hard drive, which i can live with. Also, some one posted the apple's terms of warranty, stating that it will indeed void what the what was replaced w/o an authorized person(s).

I am going down to apple again today, and will ask them this yet again. Possibly show them what was posted:)

Dustin

I will hold off voting until I ask again today

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It depends on the model.

The new Unibodies are meant for self-replacing the HDD, the MBs are easy to handle too, only the MBPs are quite hefty to dismantle, but when you don't damage any part, why should it void the warranty?

They might only tell you that, so that they can get your money, or maybe even Apple has no sure policy regarding that matter.

3. ihabime macrumors 6502

No need for a poll, Apples own site states that replacing the memory or HD on the new MBs and MBPs will not void the warranty.

From this PDF on Apples site :
    See also the 17 inch manual and the memory installation guides and the 13 inch whitebook.

Opening your MB or MBP will not void your warranty, there is no special anti-tampering tape to let them know if you have opened it either.

It only voids your warranty if you damage something.

BTW, I found all those links by searching the macrumors forums before posting, something everyone should do before starting a new thread or poll :)

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

It also constantly amazes me how people don't take a minute out of their day to google simple answers! I can't recall the amount of times I read a MR thread asking for help, did a quick google and was back with the answer in less than half a minute. The OP on the other hand has to possibly register, post and then wait for responses. Google is your friend! Oh, and MRoogle too, of course.

5. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

this is NOT on a UNI body Macbook pro. This is on the pre 10/15 macbook pros. The ones where the hard drive is under the palm rest. Apple told me it would void the warranty. People here have posted it doesnt void the warranty, as long as you dont break any thing. I am reading contradicting information from other people, who have been told this by apple. I am aware that the unibodys' hard drive is user replaceable. This DOESNT pertain to me, hence the post. I have searched here, on google, asked 5 different genius's. I am going to call apple support and see what they say.

6. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It does technically void the warranty, but if you replaced the hard drive and then say something breaks and you have to take it it, you could put back in the original hard drive. As long as you didn't break anything while doing the swap it would be hard for Apple to tell that you changed them out.

7. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

so there is no hidden warranty stickers or anything i would need to be worried about?

8. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Apple would make you put the old drive back in in the old MBP before they repair it or they will charge $600 to put a Apple HD in.

9. jpatten macrumors newbie

I had a Mac Mini with a busted logic board that I brought in for repair. I figured they would need to keep it for awhile, so before I brought it in I opened it up, imaged the hard drive to a server and then wiped the drive. I didn't think this was a big deal because earlier I had opened up the machine to add RAM, and also replace the hard drive with a faster one.

Everything was fine at the Apple store until they asked me for the password on the computer. I told them that the drive was erased and they wanted to know how I did it. I told them and they said that opening the case on that computer voids the warranty. (Had I realized that the warranty was an issue here, I wouldn't have said anything.) After some begging the guy talked to his manager and eventually made an exception, but said they would have to charge me if they found any internal damage that had led to the logic board failure.

Two main points:

1. It seems like apple's policy is that opening any computer that isn't designed to be opened by the customer (i.e. anything but the Mac Pro) voids the warranty. I have opened a variety of different Macs and never seen "sensors" or whatnot that detect the case opening. The Mac Genius I talked to did say that it looked like someone had messed around inside the case. (Maybe I left a fingerprint. These are very visible on some of the internal surfaces. You can wear gloves, but I didn't because I didn't realize I might void the warranty.)

2. Voiding the warranty is at the discretion of the Mac Genius you talk to. It doesn't matter how people vote on the issue here. It's not a democracy, and your results may vary depending on which Mac Genius you talk to and what kind of mood he/she is in.

10. ascender macrumors 68020

I understood from many posts on various forums and the documentation Apple include, that replacing the HDD (on any Apple laptop) will not void any warranty so long as you don't do any damage while carrying out the work yourself. Apple seem to have made things easier on the new laptops which is to their credit.

I thought that was always the case though, never understood the confusion over it to be honest. Just common sense isn't it?

11. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

This is the only answer here that mirrors my own research and experience. If you crack the case, technically your warranty is done. The HD on the pre-unibody MBPs is not considered a 'user-replaceable' part.

The reality of it can vary from case to case. The guy who I deal with at a third-party Apple service center said there were some tiny tabs that would indicate the case had been cracked, and were replaceable... if you were authorized. But... he told me that if he knew me, and I had replaced my HD without doing any damage... and brought my MBP in to him for a gpu issue, he'd just deal with the actual issue, and leave my new HD there and replace the motherboard. Going to Apple direct, there would be a fair chance they'd refuse the honor the warranty/Applecare due to the user-replaced HD, and even if they did they'd remove my new HD and memory and replace it with original spec components before returning it to me.

So, the real answer is... it depends. Definitely find yourself a good third-party Apple service center if you can, and get to know the guy who does the repairs and warranty work. Usually they use more 'common sense' than the corporate "by the book" approach Apple has to take.

12. ihabime macrumors 6502

It does pertain to you, because the gist of my post was that a poll does nothing to clarify the situation, you need to go to the source, that's why I posted actual links to Apples site.

Here is another link, from Apples Hardware Warranty. (highlighting mine)

You can read the whole warranty at the link, the english section isn't very long.

No where does it state that simply opening the case or replacing the HD voids the warranty.

It may increase the chances that they will claim you caused the damages, but that is a different matter.

13. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

ihabime, that may just well be the case then. I know that apple will try (all companies for that matter) get out of repairing or fixing anything they can. If opening up the computer to replace the HD (which seems to be a gray area, so to speak), they can use that against you if something goes wrong.

Me personally, i dont want to jeopordize my warranty. I know something will happen (just my luck) and i will get effed some how, just like i did with my xbox elite.

I will however highlight the warranty to the genuiss' and see what they say. I mean it is in writing, and not just heresay.

14. ihabime macrumors 6502

I agree with you that it's not worth the risk, it is a complex procedure on the older MBPs and Apples warranty while not out right forbidding it, does leave enough leeway to at least dissuade you from doing it. Authorized service centers aren't above blaming a whole host of things on the end user, after all, they probably get more from a paid repair than Apple gives them for an in warranty repair.

If it was out of Applecare I'd say do it yourself if you're up to it, but in applecare it's worth the 40 bucks or so for the peace of mind.

15. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Even if it's a "gray area," if it ever comes to how it gets interpreted which side do you want to be on? All Apple has to do is say you touched the motherboard with something that caused damage, then the burden of proof falls on you. So, you then have to basically sue them to honor the letter of their warranty, and you have to be successful... so, for all practical purposes if you want warranty protection, stay out of the internals unless you personally have a good relationship with the service provider tech. I think it's BS, but I agree with HBOC and ihabime - not worth the risk. If it weren't for the potential gpu issue hanging over my head, I'd not have bothered with Applecare and done my own repairs if needed. While opening things up in the older MBP can be a bit intricate, it's not exactly rocket science.

16. HBOC thread starter macrumors 68020

and i absolutely love doing stuff myself, opening things up and modifying things, even if it is just a hard drive upgrade.