POLL: Will you buy Beatles music from iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by netdog, Nov 16, 2010.

?

Will you buy Beatles music from iTunes?

1. Hell yes!

12 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. No. I've already ripped their CDs.

53 vote(s)
    35.6%
  3. No. Don't really care for the Beatles.

64 vote(s)
    43.0%
  4. Maybe a little but not most or all of their CDs.

20 vote(s)
    13.4%
  1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Will you buy Beatles music from the iTunes store?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I'm pretty sure that everyone who wants their music has already got it. :rolleyes:

3. Jenny Grey macrumors newbie

4. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Well, one reason is that CDs ripped to Apple Lossless in iTunes yields better sounding files, and the remasters of the Beatles catalog released last year really sound very good.

Of course, I suppose it's possible that Apple will start shipping files in a lossless format with the new server farm revving up in North Carolina. Now that would be great news, although it would be terrible for stores that sell CDs.

5. Precision4 macrumors newbie

Nope.

I will purchase physical CDs until the day they finally dissappear. I guess I am just 'old school' like that.

6. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I already downloaded them by other means. :D

I wish I could buy the Washington concert, though. I'd like to own that.

7. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

I won't be buying very much from the iTunes store because I already have most of it already. Maybe a song or two here and there, but no albums.

I only buy vinyl when it comes to Beatles albums. Those actually have value. An mp3 doesn't.

Don't say you're old school, CDs aren't old school.
    (Don't call me old either, I'm 20).

However, I'm excited to see this happen. It's a big step between Apple and Apple Records (and others). Even if you don't like the Beatles, it's still a pretty cool thing.

And for everyone that's disappointed, guess what? They announced it with a picture on their website. YOU are on the ones that ASSUMED it would be something crazy.

"Tomorrow is just another day.
    That you'll never forget."

That's not one sentence, it's two. Therefore, you know it had to deal with something purely musical.

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I bought the vinyl records when they first came out (in the 60's). I eventually ripped them and cleaned out the pops. Even expensive back then -- each new album was $1 more than the one before after Sergeant Pepper as they kept testing the limits of fan gullibility. :)

And I won't be buying from iTunes.

9. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

Exactly. The Beatles (read: Yoko Ono) waited far too long to "go digital". I don't know if they were money-hungry or just scared of the technology, but they missed their window. If this came out in 2003, it would have been big news. Today? Not so much.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

iTMS Top Albums…

Abbey Road #15
    Box set #18
    White Album #19
    Sgt. Pepper #20
    Blue #25
    Rubber Soul #26
    Red #29
    and all the rest on the top 200 page…and rising

11. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Not a big fan, so I won't be buying their music.

12. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

The Beatles, while well deserving of their place in music history, are simply not relevant any more. 40 years ago, this would be a big deal. Today? Meh...

13. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Big Whoop

The Beatles on iTunes is simply NOT a big deal. This ship sailed years ago.

I am sure there are a few suckers that will cough up the bux for this product for the third or fourth time....... Whether there are enough buyers to offset the huge $ Apple paid for this "magical deal" is another matter entirely.

14. reubs macrumors 68000

Not relevant? You can't be serious. I don't think you can have any serious discussion about the state music both from a pop culture standpoint and an artistic standpoint without talking about the Beatles.

Even saying that, though, I'm as nonplussed as others about this news.

THe good news, though, is that the physical box set is now $129.99 on Amazon. It might be time to step up to the plate on that one!

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

A few songs I like. Especially Good Morning and Eleanor Rigby. I may download them someday.

17. emaja macrumors 68000

No.

As mentioned, I have the latest reissues on CD and can rip them at a higher bitrate than iTunes offers.

I'm really not sure why this is a big deal at all.

18. SiliBear macrumors member

Not the greatest choice of poll options to choose from, with only "hell yes!" as the only positive pick. Something a little more low-key should have been an option.

Now that the Beatles are on iTunes, I certainly AM more likely to buy more of their music which I've just not bothered to do in the past. But "Hell yes!"? The Beatles should have buried the hatchet years ago and made their stuff available electronically. I will feel a little guilty rewarding their obstinence when I press the "buy" button...so "hell yes!"...um no, sorry. A simple "yes" would and should suffice.

At least we are now free from the speculation on when the Beatles will be sold on iTunes anymore. :) I count that as a plus.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, I have what I want from them as is with the exception of their mono recordings and I think I'm going to get that soon enough. There was never any logic behind people being all up on this idea of them not being in the iTunes store. I only like it because now they'll find the album art.

I am happy to hear that the teenie boppers will be able to experience them on the only format they've ever known which will ultimately lead to them thinking they're discovering something truly new and unique. :D

20. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

Apart from the mono tracks, is there any point to the Red and Blue compilations being included in the box?

21. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Most likely.

It's strange, I've been a fan of the Beatles since before their music was available on CD, yet I've never actually bought anything from them. I have plenty of each of their solo works, but no "Beatles" albums in any format. (Other than "Yellow Submarine" on vinyl.)

So I'm sure I'll buy some. Not the whole box set, though. If I was going to do that, I would have bought the Apple-shaped USB set last year.

22. nutmac macrumors 68040

I think it's sad that in these day and age, we are still purchasing contents that have "near CD" audio quality, instead of something superior. I suppose the recording industry has shot themselves in the foot by saddling next generation audio formats (e.g., SACD vs. DVD-Audio format war, DRM-ridden downloadables).

In any case, today's announcement is significant to serious Beatles fans interested in iTunes LP interface (although real contents are lifted from physical box set on sale for $130 on Amazon) and for casual music fan that are just interested in buying few Beatles tunes (although overpriced at $1.29 a pop).

23. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'll admit that I've not listened to enough Beatles music to want to download it from iTunes. Heck, I don't even remember the last time I listened to one of their tunes.

24. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I am serious. I think you are confusing what they have done and the influence they have had on several generations of musicians with the popularity of their music today. As has been pointed out by many people in the various threads about this, fans of the Beatles more than likely have had their CDs for years. I cannot imagine them rushing out to re-buy music they already have. But then again, I can't see how people would buy music from Lady Gaga either!

25. GGJstudios, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Then explain this (from 1 year ago):
    Who Says CD Sales Are Dead? Remastered Beatles Sell 2.25 Million In 2 Weeks:
    An excerpt (just 2 of 20 countries mentioned in the article):